PDA

View Full Version : Cannot connect to host after initial connection.

Sirauronmach3
September 2nd, 2015, 03:52
No one is able to connect to my GM's game after initially connecting.

I'm hoping this is something that can be easily handled, but I have yet to find someone with a similar problem.

Additionally, maps and images loaded into the campaign after players load in cannot be viewed until they leave and re-enter the campaign. I imagine/hope that these are related. Even if I can't fix the image problem, the connection problem would effectively solve the other problem.

Goltron
September 2nd, 2015, 05:36
Is the gm getting a success on his connection test? The internal ip of the gm computer may have changed requiring the port forwarding (1802) to be reconfigured.
This may not be the problem, but it is something I have encountered causing similar symptoms.

damned
September 2nd, 2015, 12:35
Are you (the GM) using a WiFi connection? Are you using a 3g/4g mobile data service?

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2015, 14:12
Additionally, maps and images loaded into the campaign after players load in cannot be viewed until they leave and re-enter the campaign. I imagine/hope that these are related. Even if I can't fix the image problem, the connection problem would effectively solve the other problem.
Is this a separate issues with a different GM? I'm guessing so as the first issue is that no one can connect.

Maps can take time to download, so give it a while. Are the player seeing a blank map appear or nothing at all?

How big are the map image files? Keep the size of the files as low as possible, under 1MB for large maps, lower for smaller maps.

Sirauronmach3
September 2nd, 2015, 17:23
Both problems are with the same GM. That GM is not me, he is pretty busy so I am hunting down solutions.

Players are initially able to connect, but unable to connect if they leave or are disconnected. All players connect using the external IP listed by the Fantasy Grounds program. The GM and all players have the Fantasy Grounds License.

Unless Maps and Tokens are supposed to take greater than 1 hour to load, there is a problem downloading pictures. The GM owns all rule set and other material we are using.
The images we are using are from a pre-generated game pack we are running off of.

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2015, 17:33
Sounds like your GM has a very unreliable/very low bandwidth upload connection. All of what you describe point to this.

As damned suggests, is the GM using a WiFi connection or a 3G/4G mobile data service. If they're using WiFi, even a fast base internet connection can have issues if the WiFi in the house isn't strong where the GM is using their computer. If the GM can hardwire their computer into the router for testing purposes - that will help to identify if WiFi may be an issue.

Wyrdmake
September 3rd, 2015, 05:26
Hey guys, I'm the aforementioned GM. Thanks for taking the time to provide insight.

Tried a couple based on your suggestions.

I ran a speed test while plugged into the router. While my d/l speed was 60, my u/l speed was just below 10. Surprised, I unplugged the Ethernet cord and ran the same test. This time, I got a score of around 60 for both the d/l and u/l. I guess my cord is whacked... Problem seemingly solved, right? Unfortunately, a brief test with one of the players netted the same results. This time around (unplugged) he couldn't even stay connected. Should I see if the problems persist with a new cord, despite the fact that my unplugged u/l time seems to be stable? Is it still possible that this is an internet speed issue, despite the unplugged speed test results? Multiple players have also mentioned that every once in awhile they are getting a 'Run Error' prompt from F.G. Any thought?

Thanks again.

damned
September 3rd, 2015, 05:28
Hey Wyrdmake if you have time just now I can have a look and do some testing with you?

Wyrdmake
September 3rd, 2015, 05:29
Sounds good.

damned
September 3rd, 2015, 05:32
check your PM.