PDA

View Full Version : Can't Load Campaigns in Demo Mode

jajen2003
September 2nd, 2015, 00:19
Hey all,

So I'm excited in trying out FG for my D&D group. Just messing around in Demo Mode, I made a sample Lost Mines campaign. Nothing major, just in the app kicking tires.

Odd thing, I quit the application and when I launched it up again, I can't seem to load any of my campaigns made in Demo Mode.

I see them in the application folder, but not in the Select Campaign window from the Load Campaign button. The Select Campaign window is blank.

Currently running Mac 10.9, via the Steam demo download.

I've updated to run FG v3.1.2FREE

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jake(DM)

Mask_of_winter
September 2nd, 2015, 00:31
You can't save any progress in Demo mode.

damned
September 2nd, 2015, 12:46
As Mask_of_winter says the Demo mode only has 2 restrictions -

1. You can only have one player connected at a time
2. You cant save anything once you finish the session

jajen2003
September 2nd, 2015, 15:22
Ah, ok. No worries.

I can see the campaigns in my Campaigns folder in the Application Data.

Well, it looks like I might have to go ahead and pick up a copy.

For someone that plays 5E, what should I get?

Mask_of_winter
September 2nd, 2015, 15:26
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24492-New-Fantasy-Ground-user-What-do-I-need-to-pay-D-amp-D-5e

damned
September 2nd, 2015, 15:27
Playing or running?

Playing - you should get a Full License or Full Subscription. ($40/$4)
If you want to have full access to all the Character stuff then consider getting Core Classes or the class packs you most want.

GMing - you should get a Full or Ultimate license or Sub.
You will find that LMoP is excellent value - giving you a great adventure, all ready to run, with encounters and all and includes the Basic Rules too.
Once you ahve worked your way through that consider the Core Classes and Core Monsters.

There is no single 'best" answer to this question :)

jajen2003
September 3rd, 2015, 12:52
Playing or running?

Playing - you should get a Full License or Full Subscription. ($40/$4)
If you want to have full access to all the Character stuff then consider getting Core Classes or the class packs you most want.

GMing - you should get a Full or Ultimate license or Sub.
You will find that LMoP is excellent value - giving you a great adventure, all ready to run, with encounters and all and includes the Basic Rules too.
Once you ahve worked your way through that consider the Core Classes and Core Monsters.

There is no single 'best" answer to this question :)

Cool. Thank you. I'm running a Mac, 10.9. I think I can get the base level game from Steam. Does it matter where I get the Core Class pack/Core Monster pack?

damned
September 3rd, 2015, 13:15
On a Mac you can only buy DLC from here. You can buy the base from here or there. If you buy it from here then sometime in the next 6 weeks it will also appear in your Steam inventory too. The DLC however wont sync between Steam and here. Sounds complicated? :)

jajen2003
September 3rd, 2015, 13:25
On a Mac you can only buy DLC from here. You can buy the base from here or there. If you buy it from here then sometime in the next 6 weeks it will also appear in your Steam inventory too. The DLC however wont sync between Steam and here. Sounds complicated? :)

Ok, just so I make sure I'm picking up what you're laying down...

Step 1. Buy the core game system from Steam.

Step 2. Make sure I know how to access the Application Data folder on my Mac.

Step 3. But the modules (Core Class Pack + Core Monster Pack) from SmiteWorks/FG store.

Step 4. Install the mods into FG via the Application Data folder.

Am I understanding the work flow correctly?

Thanks,
Jake(DM)

damned
September 3rd, 2015, 13:34
Its easier than that. Once installed you go into the settings option and you input your username jajen2003 and associated password. these will be the account that your store purchases will be linked against. then the system will download your PHB and MM once it checks in.

jajen2003
September 3rd, 2015, 14:04
Its easier than that. Once installed you go into the settings option and you input your username jajen2003 and associated password. these will be the account that your store purchases will be linked against. then the system will download your PHB and MM once it checks in.

I saw the first part your talking about, with my user name. So, check. :D

How often does it "check in?" Whenever I open the app, or update?

damned
September 3rd, 2015, 14:14
It definitely checks in when you click Check for Updates but it also does check in itself at various times but I dont know how often it auto checks... You will know that there is an update as the Check for Updates button will flash...

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2015, 15:31
FG only downloads when you manually choose to run an update. FG never automatically runs an update (except one-time as part of the base installation). As damned says, the "Check for updates" button will appear if the update system indicates there are updates available.