PDA

View Full Version : Lay on Hands

Danimal66
September 1st, 2015, 01:39
So I dragged Lay on Hands into the Actions tab and it created a heal power with the value of 20 (4th level Paladin) but how do I edit this so they can use less points? I assume I'll need to track the total used in a note or something?

Goltron
September 1st, 2015, 03:09
You could make it a value of 1hp and give it 20 uses/day. Yhis would mean that you would have to click it multiple times for heals larger than 1 hp but it should allow you to split the heals up as you wish and it will track how many you have used/remaining.

Danimal66
September 1st, 2015, 03:35
Thanks that's a good idea.

lsujonno
September 7th, 2015, 03:41
How do I give an ability a uses/day stat?

I'm new to FG and would also like to track lay on hands this way. I see where I'm able to add an ability, then give that ability a heal, but it doesn't have a field to edit anywhere that says uses per day.

Griogre
September 7th, 2015, 05:05
Go into preparation mode by clicking the mode button until it says Preparation. Then right click the on the sheet and select "Create Item" at 6 o'clock. This will add a Power's category if you don't have one, and a blank power. Change the name to Healing word and set the number of daily uses. The right the new power and at 3 o'clock select "Add Action" and then "Add Heal" and set it up like you want. Most player I've seen set them up by one hp use per day.

lsujonno
September 7th, 2015, 05:09
I figured that part out. What I can't figure out is how to make it auto track when I use the ability. If I switch back to combat mode I see the check boxes, and I can manually check them each time I use the power but my interpretation of Goltron's post is that FG would keep track of that for me.

Goltron
September 7th, 2015, 05:54
Sorry Isujonno, It turns out it doesn't track it automatically, I was mistaken.

lsujonno
September 7th, 2015, 14:23
Gotcha. It's not a problem, I just thought I was doing it wrong.

Thanks!

travelers_spirit
November 30th, 2015, 07:43
I created a Lay on Hands "Power Heading"
- Then created multiple lay on hands powers depending on the points I had. Example at level 2 (10 HP Max):
* 2 Uses / Lay on Hands - Heal 1 HP
* 2 Uses / Lay on Hands - Heal 4 HP

At later levels I might have something like this: Example at level 5 (25 HP Max):
* 5 Uses / Lay on Hands - Heal 1 HP
* 2 Uses / Lay on Hands - Heal 5 HP
* 1 Use / Lay on Hands - Heal 10 HP

Zacchaeus
November 30th, 2015, 13:35
I created a Lay on Hands "Power Heading"
- Then created multiple lay on hands powers depending on the points I had. Example at level 2 (10 HP Max):
* 2 Uses / Lay on Hands - Heal 1 HP
* 2 Uses / Lay on Hands - Heal 4 HP

At later levels I might have something like this: Example at level 5 (25 HP Max):
* 5 Uses / Lay on Hands - Heal 1 HP
* 2 Uses / Lay on Hands - Heal 5 HP
* 1 Use / Lay on Hands - Heal 10 HP

Welcome to the forums and to Fantasy Grounds.

Checking off each individual point is indeed irksome once the Paladin gets to levels beyond 2 or 3. I would set this up as a number of uses per day that heal 5hp at a time rather than a single point. So at level 5 I have 5 uses/day with a heal of 5hp per use.

Seananigans
November 30th, 2015, 13:45
Yup, I set up my campaign's paladin up the same way with 5 HP increments. Works nicely considering 5 HP is also the cost for curing poison/disease. Past 3rd level or so, the loss of perfect granularity isn't really missed in practice.

travelers_spirit
December 1st, 2015, 00:18

Checking off each individual point is indeed irksome once the Paladin gets to levels beyond 2 or 3. I would set this up as a number of uses per day that heal 5hp at a time rather than a single point. So at level 5 I have 5 uses/day with a heal of 5hp per use.

Yes exactly, that's somewhat what I am doing here. Once I higher levels I would plan on having 1 check box for 10HP etc. Realistically, there is no ideal way to handle this. I keep thinking and going back and forth how best to do it. At the end of the day, I hope FG eventually comes up with alternative options.

Xorn
December 1st, 2015, 03:40
My player just made a Lay On Hands heal effect of 0 healing. Then he added a "weapon" called Lay On Hands (25) with 25 ammo (5th level). When he applied LoH to someone (for 6 for example) he would type 6 in the mod window and drop the heal (0 heal + 6) then just reduce the ammo number by 6.

Zacchaeus
December 1st, 2015, 12:01
My player just made a Lay On Hands heal effect of 0 healing. Then he added a "weapon" called Lay On Hands (25) with 25 ammo (5th level). When he applied LoH to someone (for 6 for example) he would type 6 in the mod window and drop the heal (0 heal + 6) then just reduce the ammo number by 6.

Nice solution.

ManxomeFoe
July 16th, 2020, 21:08
Can you say more about this? Where did he create the Heal 0 Effect? How does it link up with the weapon attack?

LordEntrails
July 16th, 2020, 21:28
Can you say more about this? Where did he create the Heal 0 Effect? How does it link up with the weapon attack?
I believe the solution presented here is now obsolete, given it was 5 years ago :)

Just have the player drag the LoH ability to the Actions tab, then edit it as desired to create healing actions. You can check out the wiki, most of the current character creation guides/videos, or the "Complete Paladin" thread with the sample character.

ManxomeFoe
July 16th, 2020, 21:34
I was hoping that the "modifier" solution was still viable. Everyone just seems to use the Heal 1, Heal 5 solution now, which didn't seem as elegant.

LordEntrails
July 16th, 2020, 21:36
You should still be able to make the action apply Heal 0, then use the modifier box. Haven't tried it though, does it not work?

Zacchaeus
July 16th, 2020, 21:59

Create a new power and then right click and select Add Action and then add heal. Leave the line blank. Then when you want to use the Lay on hands target the target add the number that you want to heal into the modifier box and then click on the heal button on the action.

You can add then add the number of Lay on Hand uses available using preparation mode. Each use needs to be ticked off manually but will be restored automatically when the Paladin takes a long rest.

ManxomeFoe
July 16th, 2020, 22:17
Got it. Works great. I didn't realize you could use modifers on non-damage. Thank you.

GavinRuneblade
July 17th, 2020, 00:51

This is also handy for when the paladin is curing a condition and not HP, since that is always in 5-point increments.