PDA

View Full Version : Missing shortcuts on exported module

robocoppa
September 1st, 2015, 00:46
Hi,

I have a problem.

I created a Module (Silver Marches), in the map of silver marches i put a large number of shortcuts to the location descriptions.
When I exported the module to use it on my current adventure many of these shortcuts were missing.

I re-open the module to see what happened and the shortcuts are all at the right places, so I exported the module again but nothing changed.

I tried to close and re-activate the module in my adventure but nothing changed.

I tried to open the module in a different computer (and with a different Operating System) but nothing changed.

I tried both with "ctrl" and "shortcuts layer activation" but nothing changed.

I attach the two screenshots of the main module not yet exported named ok.jpg (with all the shortcuts) and the module exported and open in the adventure named wrong.jpg (with the missing shortcuts).

Anyone can help me?

Thank you in advance for your kind attention.

Bye.

Luca.

P.S. sorry for my bad English

Trenloe
September 1st, 2015, 02:00
Have the entries that tie to the missing shortcuts exported with the module?

Also, open up the module db.xml and in the <image> in question look at the <shortcut> entries - how many are there? Do all of them appear to be there or aren't they being exported from the campaign?

robocoppa
September 2nd, 2015, 00:38
Have the entries that tie to the missing shortcuts exported with the module?

Yes, the entries are correctly exported in the module (I checked only a few of the missing ones).
For example: I can open the entry of Silverymoon and see all the informations about it (from this entry, I can also open the map of Silverymoon when other shortcuts point correctly to the related entries of this city, the shortcuts of this other map of Silverymoon work fine), but I cannot open the Silverymoon entry by the shortcut in the Silver Marches map since there is no shortcut to click in the exported module.

Also, open up the module db.xml and in the <image> in question look at the <shortcut> entries - how many are there? Do all of them appear to be there or aren't they being exported from the campaign?

in the db.xml in this path "Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\Marche d'Argento", under the <image> section:

[...]

-<id-00007>
-<image type="image">
<bitmap>images/marche d'argento.jpg</bitmap>
-<shortcuts>
-<shortcut>

[...]

seems all the shortcuts are listed (99 shortcuts).

Hope to hear you soon.

Bye.

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2015, 01:10
seems all the shortcuts are listed (99 shortcuts).
Is it the last shortcuts in the list that aren't displaying? If you delete some of the ones that are displaying and repackage the module do the new ones show up (remember to resynch the module when you open it in the campaign)?

I'm thinking there might be a limit to the number of shortcuts that can be read from a module.

robocoppa
September 2nd, 2015, 22:47
Is it the last shortcuts in the list that aren't displaying?

Yes it seems that all the missing shortcuts are the last ones (63 missing shortcuts over 99 total shortcuts) in the <image> list.

If you delete some of the ones that are displaying and repackage the module do the new ones show up (remember to resynch the module when you open it in the campaign)?

Nothing changed.

I'm thinking there might be a limit to the number of shortcuts that can be read from a module.

I do not think so.

I've made some tries and I found that something not working properly on the update of the module in the campaigns were this module was been earlier activated.

I've created a new campaign and then I open the exported module and all the shortcuts are correctly shown.
Then I've made some changes in the source campaign of the module and then I've exported again the module.
I've open the new campaign previously created and the changes applied to the shortcuts are now lost (the other changes like entries update with a new text are correctly refreshed).
The final try is that I created a second new campaign and when I activate the exported module all the new changes applied to the shortcuts are correctly shown.
So I think the problem is in the updating of the shortcuts when the module is reloaded in the campaign were is yet activated before.
The problem is delimited to the shortcuts (existence and position in the map) since the entries are correctly updated.

And now I found how to restore the missing shortcuts:
in the "Library" I click "Modules" then right-click over the module name "Marche d'Argento" and choose "Revert Changes".
I don't know what it means but now all the shortcuts are magically at theyr right place.

Can you explain why this happens?

Thank in advance.

Bye.

Luca.

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2015, 22:53
OK, so the issue is related to you not resynching the module in the end campaign after you make a change to the base module. This is why I mentioned "remember to resynch the module when you open it in the campaign" above.

On the module activation screen, right click on the module and select "Revert Changes". Or, on the individual image entry, right click and select "Revert Changes". This will remove any previously saved data for the module (or the image record) and read the updated information from the module.

If you open a record in FG and make any changes to it (for an image record, this can be just resizing it), the whole changed record is stored with the campaign and this modified record is used in future, it won't read from the module unless you revert changes. This functionality is to allow you to change data from a module within a campaign - as this module data is usually read only, this functionality allows you to make changes within the campaign only.

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2015, 22:56
I would have mentioned this earlier, but that didn't seem to be the issue as you mentioned this in your first post: "I tried to open the module in a different computer (and with a different Operating System) but nothing changed." This suggested that you weren't opening the module in the same campaign (on the same computer).

robocoppa
September 2nd, 2015, 23:13
I would have mentioned this earlier, but that didn't seem to be the issue as you mentioned this in your first post: "I tried to open the module in a different computer (and with a different Operating System) but nothing changed." This suggested that you weren't opening the module in the same campaign (on the same computer).

I've made this try in a different computer copying the data folder from a computer to the other to see if the issue was related to the installation of FG2.

I thought that to resynch the module closing and re-opening the "book" icon in the module activation screen was enough.
But clearly I was wrong.

I did not realized the benefit of the manual "Revert changes", I thought the resynching was a must action to do before use an updated module.
Now I understood the purpose of this feature.

Thanks for your patience.

Bye.

Luca.