PDA

View Full Version : Encounter tokens and masking

Azngalahad
August 31st, 2015, 05:22
Is there a way to preload encounter tokens into a map but not have them show up on the combat tracker until the fog of war reveals them?

I know you can just preload all th but then I have dozens of combat tracker units and it makes combat a pain to handle as a dm and to figure out where they are going

Trenloe
August 31st, 2015, 05:27
No not really. As tokens linked to NPCs need to come from entries on the combat tracker to allow for targeting etc., they really have to go on the combat tracker first.

You could put tokens on the map (not linked to the combat tracker) to be used just as place holders until you need to replace them with tokens linked to the combat tracker. But then you wouldn't have pre-placement through the encounter functionality.

I don't think there's an easy solution to what you're looking for. :(

Or, use a separate GM map with all of the tokens pre-placed on that map. Move them around to keep track of where they are and then when you need to add them to the combat tracker add the NPCs and drag the tokens to the main battle map.

Azngalahad
August 31st, 2015, 06:26
the first idea sounds pretty good. its just i don't particularly like opening dm maps, i think its because of my aversion to the massive amount of windows i have to keep open anyways when im referencing things

i think placing the tokens and deleting them sounds the most convenient. do you know if there is a way to delete tokens as a group? ive tried the selection tool but it seems i can only do it individually or it deletes all the tokens on the map

Trenloe
August 31st, 2015, 06:54
do you know if there is a way to delete tokens as a group? ive tried the selection tool but it seems i can only do it individually or it deletes all the tokens on the map
Unfortunately not. It's got to be one at a time.

damned
August 31st, 2015, 07:57
hey Azngalahad just checking - aer you using Encounters? Encounters lets you preplace the tokens on the map but they only apear on the map and the CT once you activate them...?

Callum
August 31st, 2015, 11:44
Tokens placed on the map from an Encounter won't appear on the players' Combat Tracker until they're revealed by the GM, and their turns will be skipped. I don't think there's any way currently to make them not appear on the GM's Combat Tracker, though. Trenloe's suggestion of using "dummy" tokens is the best way to manage that, if that's what you're trying to achieve.