PDA

View Full Version : Profantasy on two computers

TheGarvster
August 30th, 2015, 06:16
Is it allowed to have a Fantasy grounds license on two computers? I have my ultimate license on my desktop but right now I am having Problems with it, can I put my license on my laptop?

Edit: Title should read Fantasy grounds.

dberkompas
August 30th, 2015, 06:27
I think you can, as long as they're not in use at the same time.

BoomerET

TheGarvster
August 30th, 2015, 06:43
Yes, I meant FantasyGrounds. Thanks for the heads up. It is getting late.

damned
August 30th, 2015, 07:15
The license is for one user on one computer but the devs have stated here they dont mind you using it on 2 computers so long as you are abiding by the spirit of the license and not using them both at the same time.
Sleep is over rated.

TheGarvster
August 30th, 2015, 14:38
The license is for one user on one computer but the devs have stated here they dont mind you using it on 2 computers so long as you are abiding by the spirit of the license and not using them both at the same time.
Sleep is over rated.

Thanks damned! Another question about using the license at the same time, while I watch the videos I usually have my gm(pc) instance open and the videos on the pc(split screened) and then have my laptop opened with the free instance. Will I still be able to do that is I put the license on the laptop? I don't want to be in violation of the rules.

damned
August 30th, 2015, 15:06
Hey TheGarvster it actually wont work.
If you (try to) connect the same license to itself it will reject it. What you could do is install one instance on the laptop from Steam and another from here and only put the license key in one of those, the other would act as a demo and would be able to connect to the Ultimate just fine.

TheGarvster
August 30th, 2015, 15:44
Thanks for the help. I guess I will just stick to having the free version on my laptop for now.

damned
August 30th, 2015, 23:02
You can always just add/remove the license key on the laptop when you need it too...

Trenloe
August 30th, 2015, 23:07
What you could do is install one instance on the laptop from Steam and another from here and only put the license key in one of those, the other would act as a demo and would be able to connect to the Ultimate just fine.
That won't work. Steam isn't a separate install, it uses the same installation as normal FG, with a Steam front end stub that starts FG.

Trenloe
August 30th, 2015, 23:08
You can add/remove the licence key in the settings window. You'll need to run an update after doing this so that the correct FG executable is being used.

TheGarvster
August 30th, 2015, 23:39
Great. I did not know that about the license.

Trenloe, Damned, Thanks again for all your help and Patience. The people on this board just are outstanding.

damned
August 30th, 2015, 23:42
That won't work. Steam isn't a separate install, it uses the same installation as normal FG, with a Steam front end stub that starts FG.

Yerrr.... the key is stored in the registry too so that was never gonna work...

Trenloe
August 30th, 2015, 23:44
Yerrr.... the key is stored in the registry too so that was never gonna work...
Have some coffee.

damned
August 30th, 2015, 23:45
Coke. And lots of it..... i should go and do something else for a while...

Blackwolf
September 2nd, 2015, 21:36
Great so I am out of luck then transferring from the old laptop to the new with my Fantasy Ground License then. and all of the stuff I have wrote up for it?

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2015, 21:43
Great so I am out of luck then transferring from the old laptop to the new with my Fantasy Ground License then.
I don't know where you get that impression from? See post #4 above.

Griogre
September 2nd, 2015, 21:44
No, that type of stuff is fine. Data transfers easy, just copy the entire data folder on the old laptop to the new laptop.

Blackwolf
September 2nd, 2015, 22:14
Maybe because so far it hasn't accepted my License from the new laptop.

Griogre
September 2nd, 2015, 22:37
Blackwolf, you might want to e-mail [email protected] if you can't get it resolved, but you should be able to start the new version on the new computer and from the launcher press the settings button. Enter the key in the License Key field and make sure there are not any leading spaces.

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2015, 22:48
I'd recommend following Griogre's advice. Or, if you still have issues, open a new thread in the "House of Healing" forum so that it will get the correct attention by the community and we'll know that you have a specific issue relevant to the thread you're posting in. Please don't attach to another thread that doesn't actually relate to your issue - less confusion and wasted time all round. Thanks.