PDA

View Full Version : Can't Connect After Windows 10 Upgrade?

Salz78
August 29th, 2015, 22:46
I upgraded to Windows 10 and keep failing the connection test. Anyone else had a problem after making the switch to 10? Thanks!

dberkompas
August 29th, 2015, 23:05
First thing I'd try is to turn off the Windows Firewall.

My Win 8.1 box just upgraded to 10 a few days ago, and I get a successful run test.

I didn't change any settings, but I don't use Windows Firewall, I depend on my router and iptables.

BoomerET

Salz78
August 29th, 2015, 23:20
Yeah, that was first thing I tried . =/

Andraax
August 29th, 2015, 23:30
Did your IP address change?

Salz78
August 29th, 2015, 23:42
I upgraded my cable modem. That shouldn't affect FG should it?

Trenloe
August 29th, 2015, 23:43
I upgraded my cable modem. That shouldn't affect FG should it?
Check your port forwarding on your router/cable modem - it need to forward port 1802 to the current IP address of your FG computer. Your Windows IP address might have changed with the upgrade, or the port forwarding might have been removed with the modem upgrade. Check everything is setup correctly for the IP address of your Windows 10 PC.

damned
August 30th, 2015, 02:42
I upgraded to Windows 10 and keep failing the connection test. Anyone else had a problem after making the switch to 10? Thanks!

Hey Salz78 are you having trouble connecting as a Player or the other way around? If its you as GM then firewall, ip address, port forwarding, new cable modem - are all likely candidates as the other replies state. If you need some help testing feel free to PM me.

Meliath1742
September 11th, 2015, 02:16
Go ahead and install Windows 10! It's great! No problems at all! Blah, blah, blah. Well, upgraded to Win10 and my FG is also failing the Test Connect. I've verified that my Arris modem has port 1802 forwarded and verified it was done correctly using the instructions from Portforward.com. I've tried turning off Windows & Avast firewalls (simultaneously). I've made sure that Avast allows FG access. I've rebooted the modem, rebooted the computer, tried a LAN connection from my wired wifi extender. The online port tester (canyouseeme.com) cannot see the 1802 port. Everything worked fine until I upgraded to Windows 10 this afternoon. HELP!
Update: The localhost works using a second session. Also able to connect using the local IP address with a second session. I'll try to have a friend connect tomorrow and see what happens.
Update2: Friend was unable to connect using the Alias or ext IP address. My FG game is DOWN.

damned
September 11th, 2015, 13:42
PM me Meliath1742 and ill have a look with you.

Meliath1742
September 11th, 2015, 14:17
Ok, Damned got me hooked up! I was using the wrong IP address...not sure how it worked before, but after the change to the port forwarding using the right ip...everything is good. Thanks Damned!!!
Argh! After reboot and some windows updates, back to square one...no worky on the connection test.

damned
September 11th, 2015, 15:16
Ok, Damned got me hooked up! I was using the wrong IP address...not sure how it worked before, but after the change to the port forwarding using the right ip...everything is good. Thanks Damned!!!
Argh! After reboot and some windows updates, back to square one...no worky on the connection test.

and... what is your IP address now?

Meliath1742
September 11th, 2015, 16:08
Ok, think i have it fixed (again). The IP address had changed to 30 on a reboot. I went to the modem to change the port forwarding but it still wasn't hooking up. So, I went into windows and provided a static IP address...and the connection test is working again. I'll check the ext connection with a friend later but so far so good. I think we got it this time.

Meliath1742
September 12th, 2015, 00:44
OK...FG is working sat! The static ip seems to have everything working again. Kinda weird, didn't need it while I was running Win7 but Win10 didn't like the changing IP addresses. Thanks Damned!

n10city
September 18th, 2015, 01:47
So I've just installed this wonderful software and am running in to this exact issue. I have created a static IP, followed all the directions on port forwarding for my specified router and modem that I could find and still cannot connect. I'm running windows 10.

damned
September 18th, 2015, 02:08
send me a PM...

Morgentaler
September 18th, 2015, 02:19
So I've just installed this wonderful software and am running in to this exact issue. I have created a static IP, followed all the directions on port forwarding for my specified router and modem that I could find and still cannot connect. I'm running windows 10.

Are you forwarding your internal or external iP?

n10city
September 18th, 2015, 03:24
Are you forwarding your internal or external iP?

Internal.

damned
September 18th, 2015, 04:54
n10city got this one sorted himself. his modem and his router were both doing NAT so he changed his modem to bridged mode and now the NAT on the router is working as it should. Well done and welcome!

Morgentaler
September 18th, 2015, 04:59
Fantasy grounds..become and artist! A coder, a home network administrator..a world of possibility's :)

n10city
September 18th, 2015, 07:26
Yes, thanks to damned for following up. I've never had so much trouble with port forwarding, but this is the first scenario where I've had both a modem with router capabilities and a separate router for the same network. Took some trial and error to get the right fix.
Thanks again!

punisher5150
December 31st, 2015, 18:28
Some notes on getting port 1802 to open after Windows 10 upgrade and installing a new modem/router:
It seems modem/router mode set properly is critical to getting FG working in Windows 10. I am using a NETGEAR AC1750 modem/router combo (C6300-100NAS)

For the CS6300 this is what I did to get it working (after weeks of frustration). The first steps are what is commonly known, the last steps (3-7) were the key to getting this working, and I am still not sure what they accomplished.

1. Port Forward 1802 using the internal IP and apply the settings in your modem/router
2. Make rules for inbound and outbound traffic in Firewall (I use the default Windows Firewall)

After performing the above steps, FG still would not connect

3. On the C6300 modem/router combo it defaults to router mode under the settings. I turned off router mode (subsequently loosing WIFI and the ability to login to the modem through its normal IP - 192.168.0.1). However the internet to my computer that is LAN connected to the modem still worked flawlessly.
4. Ran the connection test and FG connected quickly. Problem solved, right? Not really because I need the router function of the modem for all my home WIFI since I do not have another router connected.
5. Spent several minutes frustratingly trying to figure out how to log in to my modem now that the default IP was no longer working. Found the local IP for the modem was 192.168.100.1. Logged in and turned router mode BACK ON without changing any other settings.
6. Ran the connection test again. FG still connected with SUCCESS. I double checked to make sure the wifi settings had not changed. Everything was still the same.
7. Rebooted the modem/router and the computer to ensure after reboot FG still connected. It does!

So I am not sure what simply turning off the router mode accomplished since it was subsequently turned back on with no changes, but it seems to have resolved my connectivity problem.

Hope this helps anyone experiencing similar issues.