PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to play?

JohnnyEdge
August 27th, 2015, 20:02
If I just want to demo the game with a D&D 5E game, by connecting to an ultimate license user as a player, what else will I need to play the game? Do I need the Character Customization Pack? A class pack? Or am I pretty good to go with just the demo?

I was also thinking if I like the game, to get a 1 month subscription as an ultimate license so I can run the game for some friends to see if they like it. If I want to run something like Lost Mines of Phandelver, what would I need as the DM with a 1 month ultimate subscription? Just the LMoP pack? Anything else?

Thanks for your help!

lordjeb
August 27th, 2015, 20:33
You can connect to an Ultimate with just the demo. If you create your character while connected, then you can use their character packs or PHB to make it easier.

The LMoP has everything needed to play that adventure, so you wouldn't need anything else. But if players want to use PHB classes to build their characters, then you or they will have to have it. It's really not necessary though.

Nyghtmare
August 27th, 2015, 22:39
If you are connecting to someone with an Ultimate License, then you do not need anything beyond the demo version. The GM with the license can share the PHB and anything else that he wishes to with you from what he has obtained on his end.

For your own campaign, if you don't want to run with the full PHB (which is called "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" in the store and costs $49.99), then you can get the "D&D Basic Rules" ($2.99 in the store) although you will be limited in classes (cleric, fighter, rogue, and wizard) and races (dwarf, elf, halfling, and human). The "D&D Elemental Evil Player's Companion" ($2.99) also includes 4 new races (aarakocra, deep gnome, genasi, and goliath).

Alternatively, you can learn the Par5e software from here and manually enter all of this information from your own copies of the PHB — if you do it without this program, you lose the drag and drop directly to the character sheet capabilities you get with the bought or Par5e stuff.

damned
August 27th, 2015, 22:45
The Lost Mine of Phandelver includes everything needed to run it. It includes Pre-Gens and Monsters. It includes the fully converted module.
It also includes the otherwise separately available Basic Rules which include the four core classes and a stack of monsters and spells.

So an Ultimate Sub $10 and LMoP $20 would give you what you want.

Nyghtmare
August 27th, 2015, 22:49
I couldn't remember what came with my LMoP, since I bought all of the 5e stuff at the same time that I bought my Ultimate License.

Thanks for clearing that up, Damned. :)