PDA

View Full Version : [Savage Worlds] Resistance: Roman Britain

Ellspeth
August 27th, 2015, 14:30
AD 44. The Roman conquest of Britain has begun. The Cantellevuni are decimated, their King, Caratacus fled north seeking shelter ,rallying the northern tribes before the Romans reach their boundaries. The sweeping path of the Romans approaches the Trinovante , Iceni , Brigante . Some reach out to the Romans in uneasy alliances, others choose to resist to the death. In the face of the overwhelming might of Caesar’s armies on the march, a few more daring souls (including a young Boadicea, 17 years before the uprising that bears her name) come together to disrupt their plans behind the lines. Do you have what it takes to join these courageous resistance fighters in their effort to change the course of history?
This is a one shot home brew session using Savage Worlds ruleset. I will be running it twice, the first session is scheduled for Friday, September 4th at 8pm EDT. A second session is planned near the end of the month during European friendly hours, though feedback will determine the precise time, it would run on a Saturday sometime between 1pm and 8pm GMT. I have an Ultimate license so anyone interested can play. Contact me by private message if you wish to join, and I will provide you with the Teamspeak and reservation information.
DISCLAIMER: This will be the first game I have run anywhere, ever. I was introduced to RPG’s at the beginning of 2014, but my background in live theatre made this a beautiful fit for a hobby. Due to the wonderful sharing nature of the Fantasy Ground community I have been encouraged to give this a try with plenty of assistance from a number of truly awesome GM’s and the wealth of material for planning and running campaign shared here on the forums. Materials used in this game will be the Savage World Players Companion and The Ultimate Roman Legion for Savage Worlds. This campaign is very high history, low fantasy. Pre-gens will be provided.

Daedalus
August 27th, 2015, 15:19
I would love to play but the day just doesn't work for me. Darn :(

Crymoricus
August 27th, 2015, 20:54
Count me in, Ellspeth! So cool you're ready to roll with this. When pregens are ready, can I pop on to take a look and choose one before game time? Wanna get a feel for what I'll be playing before we get there, if that's okay.

<<Excited!

jshauber
August 28th, 2015, 15:57
Count me in for the Sept 4th session.

I can play whatever no one else wants.

Ellspeth
August 28th, 2015, 18:34
Glad to have you aboard Jim, though having such an experienced GM may intimidate me, Nah. I'll talk to you Sunday if to give ya any other details, unless you want to find me on TS tonight between 6:30 and 8:30 Eastern, I am meeting with one or two others that wanted to take a look at the pre-gens.

jshauber
August 28th, 2015, 19:15
I am there to play and enjoy the game, besides I have played some SW, but never DMd it, that is my brothers preferred ruleset so I leave it to him. I have some work being done to the house later but if I get a chance I will jump on.

Ellspeth
August 28th, 2015, 21:16
How awesome guys, all the seats for this the Friday night, September 4th session are taken. I so appreciate the support. A second session for those who this is not possible for I plan to run Saturday September 26, either 8am or 2pm EDT, to make it easy, that would be either 1 pm or 7 pm GMT, and for the downunders the 8 am translates I think to about 10pm Saturday for you. If no one from downunder states they want in we I will go with the later time. Again, thank you.

damned
August 28th, 2015, 22:39
How awesome guys, all the seats for this the Friday night, September 4th session are taken. I so appreciate the support. A second session for those who this is not possible for I plan to run Saturday September 26, either 8am or 2pm EDT, to make it easy, that would be either 1 pm or 7 pm GMT, and for the downunders the 8 am translates I think to about 10pm Saturday for you. If no one from downunder states they want in we I will go with the later time. Again, thank you.

Well done Ellspeth!

Andrepartthree
August 30th, 2015, 02:52
I still remember the PM you sent me back in Nov 2014 and your comment way back when

" Thorun, in a few months Sunday mornings would be good for me if they have something starting then. Right now there is a lot of activity around me that is very distracting, and I like to focus on the game. Also there is some weird law against my tying them all up and throwing them in a closet so I can have quiet for a few hours. "

Still can't stop laughing, and the PM you sent me when I mentioned how funny I thought it was - you totally rock ! :) In my humble opinion anyways :)

Just out of curiosity your background in theater (which would I think make you a dream come true to many players... a GM who's an expert at acting out NPC's in character? Doesn't get much better than that ;) ) ... does that translate to you doing cool accents and cool improv conversations over voice chat ? :) All my spare time is going into my two munchkins and EVER so slowly trying to piece together my own FG campaign can't even participate in anything as a player :( .. but if that's the case I'm sure anyone listening to you in action would be in for a treat :)

CrossRoads
August 31st, 2015, 12:36
Ellspeth plays in a game I run, and we play together in another game.
I can promise all of you playing in her game, you are in for a treat. :)
She is very energetic and entertaining as a player and I'm sure she will be the same as a GM.

Ellspeth
September 5th, 2015, 13:00
I want to thank you guys for playing last night, and your patience as I learned some of the technical difficulties from the other side of the table. I was pretty sure near the end you would have helped the conscripts escape at the price of the entire party dying. Those Romans were way tougher than I realized, and they were straight out of the SW Ultimate Roman Legion guide. LOL before the game I was worried mere human opponents would be to easy. I didn't even get to use any of the really bad surprises in case you cut through them quickly. However you all succeeded, the boys were saved, and the party all survived though mostly badly injured on the field at the end of the game. You guys were great making this first time GM feel very comfortable and I had fun myself. So now I am going to run this a second time with a few tweaks to the battles etc in case some who played want to give the next one shot a go as well. That will be September 26 at 7 pm GMT, 2 PM EDT.

Crymoricus
September 5th, 2015, 19:42
Good times, Ellspeth! Thanks for all the work you did bringing this together. I'd be happy to join again, but I'd rather wait until the last day to enroll in order to give others a chance to play. Let me know if you end up with a spot that needs filling. I would love to play a different character for variety's sake.

If you don't mind a brief review here to encourage people to join, I'd just like to say how much I enjoyed the narrative, the characters (both other players and you), and how it really felt like the we chose our own path. I had zero sense of being railroaded into anything. As far as technical difficulties? Bleh, I've seen much worse, lol -- those things will just fix themselves with experience.

Thanks again.

damned
September 6th, 2015, 01:42
Well done Ellspeth!

Ellspeth
September 6th, 2015, 14:06
Thanks Damned, one of the things I love best about this community is the awesome level of support for new people, new players, and the amazing encouragement from people simply because we share a common hobby, interest. I was really pleased by the response to a game that was purely historical, though I felt a lot like a juggler running the game. If nothing else I gained immense respect for the effort that goes into running games, and a greater appreciation for the really great people running the games I play in. That being said, I did enjoy running the game, and if the next session goes well I may even dare running it for the next FGDaze.

damned
September 6th, 2015, 14:11
Thanks Damned, one of the things I love best about this community is the awesome level of support for new people, new players, and the amazing encouragement from people simply because we share a common hobby, interest. I was really pleased by the response to a game that was purely historical, though I felt a lot like a juggler running the game. If nothing else I gained immense respect for the effort that goes into running games, and a greater appreciation for the really great people running the games I play in. That being said, I did enjoy running the game, and if the next session goes well I may even dare running it for the next FGDaze.

Too late Ellspeth. You are already on my list of GMs to recruit for FGCon7!

Ellspeth
October 1st, 2015, 12:18
The second one shot for this game went even better than the first, since the story left a set up for a series of linked one shots, that has room for both regular and one time players. I'll be running them for GMD the last Saturday of each month for a while, non-members welcome to join any of the one shots, and there will be a seat reserved in this game each month for those who only want to try it once. So the journey to help the Druid Rhydwyn to escape Britain with the collected knowledge of the Druids, with sympathetic helpers and a lot more enemies waiting along the journey has begun.