PDA

View Full Version : How does one create an Index?

Seraphim
August 27th, 2015, 03:20
My campaigns seem to get rather messy with all the npcs, items, etc. scattered about. How does one create an index like the D&D PHB has?

Pic for reference.
https://i.imgur.com/NdAUjl7.png

kylania
August 27th, 2015, 03:23
That's part of the "reference manual" section of the 5E ruleset. Par5e creates it for things like backgrounds and npcs automatically. There isn't really a user friendly method of doing that on your own though that I've found.

Nyghtmare
August 27th, 2015, 03:28
I have a Master NOTE or STORY that is nothing but a bunch of links to everything else, organized by topic.

For example, one section has all of the classes in it. Listed under each of them are the archetypes and spell lists. Each of these are linked to the appropriate page in the PHB and Elemental Evil module.

I do that for Races, backgrounds, and everything else that I could possibly use in a given campaign.

Mask_of_winter
August 27th, 2015, 03:32
You could make a mind map style image and then place pins (shortcuts) on it.

Seraphim
August 27th, 2015, 04:01
Is there a way to drag and drop attacks? I wanted things like multistrike, or other custom abilities in a simple drag and drop format to quickly create NPC's. However, it seems that FG is incapable of doing this. It's odd though because I can drag and drop skills and spells from the PHB, but can't create my own for drag and dropping?

Nyghtmares idea works for everything else though.

I can drag and drop "lesser restoration" (spell), and "stunning strike" (action), but i can't drag and drop my own custom skill "punishing disengage" I feel as if there is probably a way to add a flag for punishing disengage to be made into a skill, such as a reaction or an action.
https://i.imgur.com/V92QMRH.png

kylania
August 27th, 2015, 04:22
Both of those would probably be Traits rather than Actions. How did you create the Punishing Disengage? If it's just a Story entry or Note that's why you can't drag it, since it's not tagged as a Feature, Skill or Action like Spells and Features are. It's just text.

You could check out PAR5E for how to create a new Skill or Feature.

Seraphim
August 27th, 2015, 06:00
I downloaded and looked at PARSE and this seems way too complicated for me. Do I enter things in the console area? How do I export actions/spells and put them into FG?

I don't really understand the PDF's format and I tried finding a video on youtube and I just see ones for importing modules or 4E stuff. How do I write my own?

I feel frustrated and overwhelmed at this point... I just wanted something simple, but it feels insanely complex to achieve at this point.

damned
August 27th, 2015, 06:40
Seraphim you have the simple tools already. Do them as Story and link them to an Index or to a Mind Map graphic by way of pins. If you want to build a library module with an index and collapsing menus and other things - it is more complex and you will have to learn some more complex stuff... if you commit some time to it you will find it a lot less complex. But if you just try to scratch the surface it will most likely remain opaque and confusing... For module creation - once you get your head around Par5e it is just as fast as doing it the Story way - but you get a better end result.

Seraphim
August 27th, 2015, 09:01
I have touched base on the parser and figured out how to set things up. I just needed to find the right video. Which was Xorns video nested in a playlist. I set up the skills as feats, and they now can be dropped onto monster sheets as actions. Though, I'm not sure how reactions would work.

damned
August 27th, 2015, 10:06
I have touched base on the parser and figured out how to set things up. I just needed to find the right video. Which was Xorns video nested in a playlist. I set up the skills as feats, and they now can be dropped onto monster sheets as actions. Though, I'm not sure how reactions would work.

Well done Seraphim! Tis a slippery slope you have embarked upon!