PDA

View Full Version : Sorcery Points on the Character Sheet

lambchopsil
August 26th, 2015, 18:56
Is it possible to create something on a Sorcerer's character sheet for Sorcery Points that's like the built-in Spell Slots section on the Actions tab or somehow edit the before-mentioned Spell Slots section? Like how it has the clickable circles with text indicating the spell level, and the whole thing was center-aligned. I was only able to create a new section with clickable circles, but the circles were on the far-left, and it required me to type in 2 columns of text when I only need 1.

kylania
August 26th, 2015, 19:20
Sounds like you're already using the best method, setting up a new power group. That way you can make off the points as you spend them and they come back after a rest (or daily or whatever you selected).

https://i.imgur.com/SpHhx0e.png

Click Display at the bottom to Actions to make just the left most field show up. Not sure I'd describe typing in "Sorcery Points" twice as a required chore though.

lambchopsil
August 26th, 2015, 19:21
Drat, I was hoping for a better way than that. Oh well, if that's the best possible, then I guess I'm stuck with it.

kylania
August 26th, 2015, 19:30
You could probably look into how the spell slots are done and add that to the character sheet, but that's beyond what I've learned so far. :)

Moon Wizard
August 26th, 2015, 21:29
The way I've handled sorcery points (and divinity, and maneuver dice, etc.) is to set up a power group as kylania mentioned.

In anticipation of rules changing, abilities being modified, classes added over time, etc.; I decided that the best approach to support all the various options for all characters was to generalize power groups like they are implemented now.

Regards,
JPG

Diceman
August 28th, 2015, 11:11
Sounds like you're already using the best method, setting up a new power group. That way you can make off the points as you spend them and they come back after a rest (or daily or whatever you selected).

https://i.imgur.com/SpHhx0e.png

Click Display at the bottom to Actions to make just the left most field show up. Not sure I'd describe typing in "Sorcery Points" twice as a required chore though.

Looking at the images in your post I have been trying to duplicate what you created but I am completely lost. Are you creating the "Power Group" panel within FG or using an outside editor? Any help would be appreciated.

Zacchaeus
August 28th, 2015, 13:44
Proceed as follows:

1. Open the character sheet and click on the 'Actions' tab.
2. Click on the little red(ish) button at the bottom right of the action tab.
3. You will now see two more buttons, click on the one with the star which says 'Add Power'
4. You will now see a new line under the heading 'Powers'. Click on the line that says <<name>> and type in 'Sorcery points' and press tab.
5. Now type in 'Sorcery points' into the next box and you will now see that the label 'Powers' has changed to 'Sorcery points'
6. Click on the little magnifying glass on the right hand side of the label that says 'Sorcery points' and you will get a dialog box.
7. At the bottom of the dialog box you will see 'Uses'. Type in a number equal to the number of points that the player has and close the dialog.
8. You will now see a number of small circles to the left of the line equal to the number you typed in. Click on the little red(ish) button at the bottom left to finish editing.

So when the player uses a point he clicks on one of the little circles and it will tick that point off. When they have all been used up the whole line will disappear. When the player takes a long rest all of the points will come back as if by magic (see what I did there :) ).

TASagent
August 28th, 2015, 15:17
As an alternative, you can use this method to also track all the things you can do with sorcery points. I have helped a player of mine do this with Ki Points as well.

Instead of just adding one entry of the "Sorcery Points" type, you can add one for each ability. As long as the group has its daily limit set, it will work correctly.

Here is an example:
In this case I have added the sorcery point cost next to each ability as a reminder. You have to manually check off the appropriate number when you use one of the abilities.

Here is what it looks like if the Sorcerer has used 2 sorcery points to regenerate a level 1 spell slot, and 1 to empower a spell:

By default, when you click a checkbox, it announces to chat that you've used that ability, which can be a little annoying if you need to check multiple boxes. If you change the number of checks boxes by holding control and using the mousewheel, then it will silently change the number.

Diceman
August 28th, 2015, 20:07
Proceed as follows:

1. Open the character sheet and click on the 'Actions' tab.
2. Click on the little red(ish) button at the bottom right of the action tab.
3. You will now see two more buttons, click on the one with the star which says 'Add Power'
4. You will now see a new line under the heading 'Powers'. Click on the line that says <<name>> and type in 'Sorcery points' and press tab.
5. Now type in 'Sorcery points' into the next box and you will now see that the label 'Powers' has changed to 'Sorcery points'
6. Click on the little magnifying glass on the right hand side of the label that says 'Sorcery points' and you will get a dialog box.
7. At the bottom of the dialog box you will see 'Uses'. Type in a number equal to the number of points that the player has and close the dialog.
8. You will now see a number of small circles to the left of the line equal to the number you typed in. Click on the little red(ish) button at the bottom left to finish editing.

So when the player uses a point he clicks on one of the little circles and it will tick that point off. When they have all been used up the whole line will disappear. When the player takes a long rest all of the points will come back as if by magic (see what I did there :) ).

Thank you for the walkthru. I was getting to the first step but didn't realize you had to type into the second box to get the desired result. You've been a great help. Thanks again.

Diceman
August 28th, 2015, 20:07
As an alternative, you can use this method to also track all the things you can do with sorcery points. I have helped a player of mine do this with Ki Points as well.

Instead of just adding one entry of the "Sorcery Points" type, you can add one for each ability. As long as the group has its daily limit set, it will work correctly.

Here is an example:
In this case I have added the sorcery point cost next to each ability as a reminder. You have to manually check off the appropriate number when you use one of the abilities.

Here is what it looks like if the Sorcerer has used 2 sorcery points to regenerate a level 1 spell slot, and 1 to empower a spell:

By default, when you click a checkbox, it announces to chat that you've used that ability, which can be a little annoying if you need to check multiple boxes. If you change the number of checks boxes by holding control and using the mousewheel, then it will silently change the number.

I will experiment with this later this weekend. Thank you for the suggestion.

Nylanfs
August 29th, 2015, 01:16
Question Asked

Options A, B, C & Q given.

:)

Zacchaeus
August 29th, 2015, 09:13

Nice TAS, I'd set up Ki points like this but it hadn't occurred to me that sorcery points could be done using the same method.

Redemption77
August 30th, 2015, 19:03
Ive used this system TAS suggested, sorry I didnt respond to this sooner and add that little bit of help before TAS had to once again come to the rescue, but its worked great for me with both sorcery and with Ki points.

WansumBeats
September 3rd, 2015, 19:47
On a related note... I like the spell points system option. in the DM guides. Anyone have any good ideas on how to setup something like that... instead of slots you get a number of points say 20 points and first level spells costs 3 points second lvl 5 points ect ect.. it in the dms guide.. just wondering about ideas on how to set this up

TASagent
September 3rd, 2015, 19:51
I would set this up in precisely the same way as I described for sorcery points. Functionally, very little is different because Sorcery points can already be used to generate spell slots, which is essentially what this is doing.