PDA

View Full Version : Elven Ruins

Morgentaler
August 26th, 2015, 06:42
Gone are the days of a battle map and some lines hand drawn by yours truly. So 4th map I've made following tutorials on how to do battle maps using gimp and or Photoshop. If there's interest I'm happy to share my other work once I've used it in my campaigns. Or the tutorials I read and used.

And now into the crypt...

Did this this afternoon..luckily as my players completely ignored the first building and went straight down to business..lol..no one died yet..just a donkey.

damned
August 26th, 2015, 06:51
some big bad spiders living there i think.... good work.

Nyghtmare
August 26th, 2015, 06:55
Hopefully Giant Spiders... ;)

Morgentaler
August 26th, 2015, 07:21
Hopefully Giant Spiders... ;)

Giant spiders, swarm of spiders, giant wolf spiders oh my!

Mask_of_winter
August 26th, 2015, 08:09
You've got talent. Nice map buddy!

Andraax
August 26th, 2015, 15:31
Nice map. Why the grid? I save mine gridless and just use the grid in FG...

Trenloe
August 26th, 2015, 15:34
If there's interest I'm happy to share my other work once I've used it in my campaigns.
Definitely interest in seeing other maps you've made. This one's very cool. :)

Morgentaler
August 26th, 2015, 16:01
Nice map. Why the grid? I save mine gridless and just use the grid in FG...

Never though of that just easier to work with on my end for keeping track of size..could just put one square as a key so i could have FG grid line up.

kylania
August 26th, 2015, 16:09
If you don't use the grid to create and size the map then you might end up with something that's sized right, say 47.7 pixels or something else that won't work in FG. Also where you arbitrarily put the size square might not line up properly with where you placed a door or item or something like that. Also maybe someone's in a hurry and just wants to zoom in make a grid and be done instead of having to hunt for whatever key square you placed off on an edge of a map to get the grid sized right.

I'd say it's always best to build with the grid on and just produce two versions with and without a grid for everyone to enjoy.

Aaron
August 26th, 2015, 16:27
That's a very nice map, I like the style of it.

I'm interested in knowing if you could please supply some links to the tutorials that you used to learn this skill.

Thanks.

Andraax
August 26th, 2015, 16:56
I use a grid (sometimes) and guidelines (at other times) in GIMP to line things up, but I just turn it off before exporting / saving. Actually, I usually only use the grid for initial layout, then everything else is placed based on the existing stuff.

Morgentaler
August 26th, 2015, 19:25
That's a very nice map, I like the style of it.

I'm interested in knowing if you could please supply some links to the tutorials that you used to learn this skill.

Thanks.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=16819&p=172019&viewfull=1#post172019

Most complete tips and tools for various maps found here.

If your not as artsy I suggest this one..basic but with a nice style https://newbiedm.com/2009/11/09/newbiedm-tutorial-the-battlemap-a-guest-post-by-jonathan-roberts/

Also I can provide a gridless image on request.

Aaron
August 26th, 2015, 22:07
Thankyou for the links Morgentaler.

Have fun.

Morgentaler
August 27th, 2015, 06:25
Bump! New Map!