PDA

View Full Version : Update on D20 Modern

Bagpuss2
January 10th, 2005, 00:55
The story so far...

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.maple/FG/d20modernsofar.jpg
(see I told you I was no good with graphics, oh and can you change the fonts the program uses? That one doesn't look very modern).

Basically I've decided to split the classes.xml into classes.xml which is just the base classes and occuptations and then add an advclasses.xml which will have all the campaigns advanced classes. I've done all the base classes and all the generic advanced classes, so I'll do a zip of the xml for them and put it on my webspace, so if you folks working on the graphics want to grab them and build your graphics around that then go ahead.

I plan on expanding to add all the campaign advanced classes form the core rulebook (88% complete on this) and then all the Urban Arcana ones (8% complete), but both of these require updates to the spells and stuff which is a lot of extra work, and I'ld rather get a functional character sheet first, as without it, its not really playable.

The is a good reason for spliting the advanced classes off into there own advclasses.xml, basically the base classes are going to be used by every D20 Modern GM, but not everyone is going to want to use all the campaign specific advanced classes and this way its helps keep things organised better I think. Plus there are so many advanced classes that box has to be scrollable, while you will still want access to the base classes all the time. Obviously this split ment that I had to alter some graphics and d20_reference.xml and some other files so the xml in the zip is really only for any other folks that are working on development not a useable version yet. I'll post a link in this thread when I put the files up.

(Oh yeah Ranged Weapons, Armor and Melee weapons are complete as is feats (only the core rulebook ones) so I'll include those too).

Bagpuss2
January 10th, 2005, 01:02
Okay the file is up

(file removed with release of beta)

There are four xml files in it

equipment.xml
classes.xml
feats.xml
advclasses.xml

Ilwan
January 10th, 2005, 10:26
Looks very nice, thx.

Bagpuss2
January 10th, 2005, 16:53
Got a lot of work done on the charsheet.xml today (it was a lot easier than I expected) so hopefully I'll have a beta playable version ready for next weekend.

Bagpuss2
January 11th, 2005, 19:15
Okay a beta version is ready.

(dead link removed for newer version see below)

download it and unzip the folder into the rulesets folder in the fantasy grounds directory.

What it does do...

Character sheet. (3 pages, no magic or psionic class so no spells section).
NPC sheet (no special graphics as yet).
Al the occupations.
All base class and all generic advanced classes from the core rulebook.
All generic feats from the core rulebook.
Ranged Weapons
Melee Weapons
Armor

What it doesn't support (yet)

Wealth (doh! I only released this after I uploaded the zip to my server space, I'll try and sort this one ASAP).
Critters (although it does still have the D20 Monsters from the original D&D rules)
Spells or Psionics (While they are part of the core, they arn't useds by any of the non-campaign specific classes, so they aren't a priority. However once I have the kinks out of this I intend to do an Urban Arcana specific ruleset that will support magic).
Nice graphics (the stuff that comes with this zip are basically place holders).
Oh and the other faults people are sure to point out.

Bagpuss2
January 14th, 2005, 11:26
Beta 2 is now available. Its about 2.2 MB download.

(link removed with release of Beta 3)

Updated to include Reputation and Wealth, I'ld appricate it if some folks would take a look and give some feedback.

Edit: Faulty link fixed.

Bagpuss2
January 16th, 2005, 19:35
Question: If someone wanted to add advanced classes (that didn't need additional skills, etc) to the advclasses.xml and they changed their own copy would that propogate to everyone else that played with them?

I'm just wondering if campaign specific advanced classes should be handled more like the houserules.xml file. Support there but no file as yet?

Obviously if you have something like Urban Arcana that's going to need more than a few advance classes and so will need to be a whole new build with its additional skills and magic, etc.

Bagpuss2
February 10th, 2005, 21:05
Just to let folks know I've not forgotten about this (although there seems to be little interest from folks here).

I've just finished coding all the creatures from the core book and the menace manual SRD into it. They aren't in the one available for download as yet. Maybe this weekend if anyone shows an interest.

That will just leave spells, psionics and a bit more graphic work to do before a finished release.

Grimbot
February 10th, 2005, 23:20
I have interest.

Bagpuss2
February 12th, 2005, 11:34
Well since you and I have and interest the spells as well. It only took me a morning, I've got the hang of text functions in excel doing the XML to character sheet thing, so now I just write a little spread sheet, that takes a SRD entry and instantly converts it to make it suitable for Fantasy Grounds. The its just a matter of cutting and pasting each one.

Now I think the only thing missing rules wise is the psionics, although the character sheet is now going to need some work to add spell list back in, and additional slots for new skills.

Bagpuss2
February 12th, 2005, 22:41
Okay well I've added the spell lists back to the character sheet, but didn't have time to add spellcraft, or other campaign specific skills.

D20 Modern Beta 3.0 - Link removed with final release.

Beta Release 3 is available, not really suitable for play, or if you are using the old version don't update to this, since I'm having to alter the charsheet.xml file which means campaigns with existing characters become invalid.

This is more so folks that might be developing there own D20 Modern ruleset can steal the work I've done coding the XML and build on it, if they want, or play around with it find bugs and errors and the like. Or just say "Wow, Bagpuss that's cool, but could you hurry up and finish the darn thing."

Added this release.

All the missing campaign specific Advanced Classes from the Core Book.
Support for Mage and Acolyte spells, spell lists, spell descriptions, etc.
All the creatures from the Core Book and Menance Manual SRD.

Known Problems.
No Spellcraft, Use Magic Device or Autohypnosis skills support.

Personality Sheet does not auto resize, I think this is a bug with the program as opposed to my code, as it is set up the same as the monster sheet, and that does auto resize. [Developers feel free to prove me wrong]

No support for psionics.

No support for Occupations in personalities or monster data. The data is actually there for the occupations in the XML (but only a hand full actually have one), just I haven't got round to adding it to the personality or monster sheet.

Whatever else you folks tell me about.

mrgrimm
February 14th, 2005, 16:24
Wow Bagpuss that is cool! Noww could you just finish the damn thing?! :wink:

tarrasque
February 14th, 2005, 18:52
bagpuss..can you send me a copy of the excel sheet your using..i want to play with the std d20 rules but need an easy way to do the xml

[email protected]

chris

PS is there a game on friday as we finished BP ?

Bagpuss2
February 14th, 2005, 22:13
Will do. Its not 100% (you need to check it, but usually a glance is enough to spot any problems) and it only does one block at a time. I've got the spell one at home so I can e-mail you that now, the stat-block one is at work so that will have to wait for tomorrow.

Thore_Ironrock
February 16th, 2005, 02:30
Hey Bag ... whenever I download your d20 Modern Beta 3 and try to uncompress it WinZip tells me the file is corrupt. Can you re-zip it just in case you have a bad file on the server?

Thanks! Can't wait to see what you have.

Thore

Bagpuss2
February 16th, 2005, 08:42
Yeah it is corrupt by the looks of things, unfortunately I can't change things while at work. So it will have to be tonight.

On the plus side tonight I'll be releasing pretty much the final version. As I've completed the psionics sheet and a minisheet, and added the missing skills.

The next one I intend to work on is either Urban Arcana as that will be simple to do just by adding a few critters, advanced classes, spells, etc. and removing the Psionics.

QT Barrister
April 16th, 2005, 16:11
Hello,
I'm a newbie to the Fantasy Grounds program. Picked it up last month and it rocks!

I downloaded the D20modern but have been unable to get it to work. I unzipped the files into a folder in the ruleset (with a newdirectory /d20modern) and the selection shows up in the Rules dropdown menu but the program hangs and gives me an ambiguous "Fantasygrounds.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience". I have patch 1.03. and the main d20 package that comes program runs. I saw the graphics file in the d20modern/data directory and tried moving it in the FantasyGrounds/data directory but this doesn't work either.

I must be doing something dumb :oops: So any assistance would be appreciated.

Also, I'd like to contribute to expanding the existing package but I've never used xml. Where can I find out more about this?

Thanks. :?

Bagpuss2
April 16th, 2005, 23:59
Directory name should be "D20 Modern" with the space.

QT Barrister
April 17th, 2005, 06:05
Thank you, it worked! :lol:

QT Barrister
April 17th, 2005, 07:35
Oops. I have to modify my previous post. I've managed to get the GM function to work but I'm back to the ambiguous "Fantasy grounds .exe has a problem" when I try to create a character (and I haven't had the chance to test the join as a player function).

I used the unpak application at least twice to see if this was a factor but no cigar.

I've also got the AD&D1st Ed ruleset and I've run into the exact same problem (GM setup works, but not create local characters - not yet tried to join as player).

What else am I missing?

:?

QT Barrister
April 20th, 2005, 04:06
Sorry for the trouble. I uninstalled and reinstalled and got it to work.

Thanks. :oops: