PDA

View Full Version : Question about exporting adventure and importing in another ruleset.

daboking
August 25th, 2015, 07:08
First, I would like to apologize if this has been covered already.... I have been searching many permutations trying to find the right way to search this topic and may be missing on semantics:
My goal, I would like to know if there is a way I can create a generic adventure (i.e. no NPC stats, etc) that I can export as ruleset empty, that I can then import into another ruleset. To perhaps better explain, I have Pathfinder Carrion Crown adventures I would like to make in fantasy grounds, because I love the story, but I would like to only add story, notes, text, maps... but no NPC statistics) so I can then run in either pathfinder or Rolemaster if I so choose. Thanks so much!!

damned
August 25th, 2015, 08:21
Once you export the module - you should be able to edit the <ruleset> tags to change the ruleset.
I dont know if this will work going from PF to RMC as I dont think RMC is CoreRPG based so the library structure may well be different.
I cant test as I dont have RMC.
You can do this between CoreRPG rulesets... (AFAIK)

daboking
August 25th, 2015, 13:41
How to find the exact text to enter for rmc text to enter in ruleset? Thx for the tip, and I can test out, if I know what to enter.

damned
August 25th, 2015, 14:09
the easiest way to do this will be to a create a single story and image entry (dont use Notes. Notes are for players for tracking their stuff) in RMC and export it. You will be able to see the differences and similarities.

Trenloe
August 25th, 2015, 14:11
Change the ruleset tag to <ruleset>Any</ruleset> then the module will be able to be opened in any ruleset.

daboking
August 25th, 2015, 14:13
There are 2 files when I unzip... well I do this in both files, or is there a particular one I should focus on between the two to make that modification, thank you so much

Trenloe
August 25th, 2015, 14:15
Only make the change in definition.xml

daboking
August 26th, 2015, 05:10
Trenloe, thanks for the tip, and it was somewhat a success... and did open in rolemaster from pathfinder the first test I tried successfully. I tried a second test, and it failed, though. I exited FG and relaunched thinking I needed to refresh the list somehow, but the 2nd test will not appear in the modules, even after setting the ruleset to any. I am stumped on this. I only exported story and images from pathfinder.

damned
August 26th, 2015, 05:24
can you post your definition.xml text here?

Trenloe
August 26th, 2015, 05:39
Trenloe, thanks for the tip, and it was somewhat a success... and did open in rolemaster from pathfinder the first test I tried successfully. I tried a second test, and it failed, though. I exited FG and relaunched thinking I needed to refresh the list somehow, but the 2nd test will not appear in the modules, even after setting the ruleset to any. I am stumped on this. I only exported story and images from pathfinder.
Sounds like you haven't re packed the module correctly. Make sure the definition.xml file is correct XML (use An XML syntax checker - Notepad++ has one in the XML plugin). Also make sure you have zipped up the module file from within the directory (i.e. select the db.xml and definition.xml file and ZIP those up). Use ZIP compression, not Rar or 7z.

daboking
August 26th, 2015, 08:26
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

-<root release="1|3.5E:15|CoreRPG:3" version="3.1">

<name>testing this</name>

<category/>

<author/>

<ruleset>Any</ruleset>

</root>

Trenloe, you are probably right, I am just unsure what I doing wrong in packing as I am new to this. Thanks for the tips :) I am very grateful!

damned
August 26th, 2015, 13:53
you zip up the 2 xml files. NOT the folder they live in. you rename filename.zip file as filename.mod and you move it into the modules folder.

daboking
August 27th, 2015, 01:32
why is it when I unzip to edit, it has all my my images I want in the module all under the 1 .mod file, do I not included the images back in the rezip as it was prior to unzipping? If not, how do the images then get in the mod? Thanks10802

daboking
August 27th, 2015, 01:39
I think I found my problem. When I am rezipping, I am giving the new .mod a different name so I can can drag into my modules folder. I deleted original export after unzipping, gave the edited .xml rezip the same name, and it appeared in my RMC this time. Whew. Thank you all for you patience with me in this and for your great advice. I am new to this, and glad there is such a helpful community here! You are the best!

damned
August 27th, 2015, 02:43
As you correctly surmised if you have images in there you DO need to zip them up too. You zip up everything in the FOLDER but NOT the folder :)