PDA

View Full Version : PFS The Emerald Spire - Level 1 - The Tower Ruins

xazil
August 25th, 2015, 04:45
For ages untold, a gemstone monolith has pierced the heart of the Echo Wood. Now, as civilization intrudes upon this enigmatic splinter, a strange life once again stirs in the depths—one with ties to undying evils and a might beyond time itself. The promise of wealth and power calls to glory-seekers from across the Inner Sea region, tempting them into a labyrinth of monster-haunted vaults, defiled tombs, arcane laboratories, and worse, as they seek to unveil the secrets locked below the legendary Emerald Spire.

This is a single session game for level 1 only of the Emerald Spire awarding 3XP and 4PP and is evergreen.

Calendar for sign ups. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1597

Please post your character XML, portrait and previous chronicle. If starting a new character please post your PFS Number and Starting gold.

Blackfoot
August 25th, 2015, 04:53
I would like to do this one. I've got no kids and I think the girlfriend is tied up on Saturday. Does this tend to run long seeing as it's a 3xp single session game?
(that seems kinda crazy)

xazil
August 25th, 2015, 04:55
I've run levels 1-5 previous in a single session each. If anything this first one is short. Previously I put in some extra introduction and setting around it as well.

Victor
August 25th, 2015, 04:59
In.

Blackfoot
August 25th, 2015, 05:00
Cool. I'll definitely run it on slow. Gotta verify with the girlfriend but I should be good for this one. I'll be bringing Pyros my Ifrit Negative Energy/Fire Channeler Cleric. I believe that in the new guide they have removed the restriction on switching to slow midlevel. If I'm mistaken I'll bring someone new probably.

xazil
August 25th, 2015, 05:53
Yeah, I saw that also, you can swap to slow and back as you like.

Malkavian_Andi
August 25th, 2015, 10:38
I'm in for this. Here's my character's stuff.

poppy_thompson
August 25th, 2015, 15:12
Are you going to be running the other levels? I have played this level and others at my local gaming store, but didn't finish the adventure. I will have to look back at my sheets to see how far I've played.

I would be interested in playing the upper levels.

Evloret
August 25th, 2015, 15:18
I'm up for it, but i've gotta finish making my character (I've got one made with the XML but I'd like to try a different class out). I take it the group doesn't want duplicate classes though, so I may just use the one I already have.

Off-topic, Is there a way to make a character using the sources I don't have on my copy of FG?

Trenloe
August 25th, 2015, 16:02
Off-topic, Is there a way to make a character using the sources I don't have on my copy of FG?
Type the information in manually. Right-click -> Add new for the entries you want to create and then type in the info needed.

Trenloe
August 25th, 2015, 16:03
Yeah, I saw that also, you can swap to slow and back as you like.
And they've introduced fractional PP for slow rate now too. i.e. half the PP what would have been gained if running at normal speed. Previously there was no x.5 PP.

Blackfoot
August 25th, 2015, 16:07
I'm up for it, but i've gotta finish making my character (I've got one made with the XML but I'd like to try a different class out). I take it the group doesn't want duplicate classes though, so I may just use the one I already have.

I'd say play what you want.. it won't make that much of a difference.
As far as the 'sources' go.. I never drag stuff from modules into my characters (except for spells, weapons, and items). I find the modules restrictive as you can't edit the entry to add the little nuances about the particular feat/trait/ability. Mostly that stuff is just for reference anyway... the big thing is the Actions tab stuff... and all of that is tweakable.

Blackfoot
August 25th, 2015, 16:27
Character Name: Pyros
PFS # 39241-14
Faction: Dark Archive
Chronicle #4
Starting XP: 2
Starting Fame/PP: 3/3
Starting Gold: 58

Evloret
August 25th, 2015, 17:31
I'd say play what you want.. it won't make that much of a difference.
As far as the 'sources' go.. I never drag stuff from modules into my characters (except for spells, weapons, and items). I find the modules restrictive as you can't edit the entry to add the little nuances about the particular feat/trait/ability. Mostly that stuff is just for reference anyway... the big thing is the Actions tab stuff... and all of that is tweakable.

Alrighty then, thanks you two. It's already written up and such on a word doc, I just need to transfer it to FG & Export. Unfortunately it's a Rogue...

cmdisc
August 25th, 2015, 18:24
I might be interested in this. I have something going on my Saturday afternoon and this game is currently scheduled for 9pm locally. I will know more for sure later in the week, but save me a spot if possible.

Hmm....my edit didn't seem to post earlier. I was noting that I was 6th on the thread here, but would be 8th on the calendar. So I wasn't clear which one got priority and whether I'm in or an alternate.

Malkavian_Andi
August 25th, 2015, 20:47
Unfortunately it's a Rogue...What's so unfortunate about a rogue? They're the class you most likely want to have two of at the table, because they can be each other's flank-buddy.

AxitMaster
August 25th, 2015, 21:38
Birds of a Feather stick together - Tengu are cool.

Will definately be there. Just got to get the character sorted out.

cmdisc
August 25th, 2015, 23:03
Just updating the thread to reflect my edit. I'm seeing me as 6th on the thread but would be 8th on the calendar. I wasn't sure which took priority and whether I'm in or an alternate.

Blackfoot
August 25th, 2015, 23:15
I'm guessing that the invitees take precedence.

Victor
August 26th, 2015, 00:23
I'm guessing that the invitees take precedence.

Yea, I think so too. Perhaps Xazil should have posted we only need a few more people, depending on who in the invited group signs up.
I would offer to sit out because I played this before, but it was kind of a bad run and I have been wanting to redo it with Xaz as the GM for awhile. plus, I will be the hero of the party with my buy of a Feather Step wand. (cheating player knowledge metagamer that I am). That will make this quite cumbersome module go much much easier. :)

xazil
August 26th, 2015, 00:49
Yeah, sorry Cmdisc, I wasn't expecting this level of interest. Currently Evloret is 7th and you are 8th. I could probably run this also the day prior starting 1 hour earlier if there is enough interest and let people disperse into two groups. (Or someone could play it twice in a row too if they really wanted...). Please reply here if you have a preference for either day.

Victor
August 26th, 2015, 01:23
Cool, 2 runs.
I can easily swap to the Friday run if that day is inconvenient for anyone and they would rather play Saturday. Everyone should sign up for the time they want, even if it looks too full then we can auto-adjust who plays which day.

xazil
August 26th, 2015, 02:05
Are you going to be running the other levels? I have played this level and others at my local gaming store, but didn't finish the adventure. I will have to look back at my sheets to see how far I've played.

I would be interested in playing the upper levels.

I have previously run levels 1-5. I do have level 6 prep'd already and will probably offer it in the future. Currently I have been running them ad-hoc.

Blackfoot
August 26th, 2015, 04:06
I'm good with either day.

cmdisc
August 26th, 2015, 07:16
Not a problem. Maybe I'll catch the next time around. As I said, that time was already iffy for me anyway. :)

Malkavian_Andi
August 26th, 2015, 08:52
I'll stick to to Saturday as I have another game on Friday already.

Farnaby
August 26th, 2015, 11:11
Am I too late?

I'm good for either friday or saturday.

Here's Cassilda's last Chronicle (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byi37alIzB4rRGZfeC1YTzRLc1JOZ2JqejN0ek5ucFRxYXYw/view?usp=sharing)

Evloret
August 26th, 2015, 15:54
I'm also good for either day if it helps.

When I said it was unfortunately it was a Rogue, I was referencing the fact that there were already two on the calendar, not that there's anything wrong with it.

...is there any way to see if this character build is okay, even though I had to put everything in manually ? Should I just upload it here or should I PM a link first?

As you can tell i'm kinda new at this, sorry.

Victor
August 26th, 2015, 19:38
Enough people signed up for Friday so it looks like we are good for 2 sessions.
Friday: Blackfoot, Evloret, Farnaby, Naughtydread
Saturday: :{BK}:, Axitmaster, Malkavian, and myself.

The Friday folks should probably vote NO for Saturday now so the calendar is more accurate.

cmdisc, plenty of room on Saturday now if you want to join.

Victor
August 26th, 2015, 19:41
I'm also good for either day if it helps.

When I said it was unfortunately it was a Rogue, I was referencing the fact that there were already two on the calendar, not that there's anything wrong with it.

...is there any way to see if this character build is okay, even though I had to put everything in manually ? Should I just upload it here or should I PM a link first?

As you can tell i'm kinda new at this, sorry.

Xazil will need your xml so you can just post it here and perhaps someone can pull it up and go over it with you before gametime. Remember you can retrain your character fully before you play them at level 2, so if you have anything you want to change you can always do that after the game.

Evloret
August 26th, 2015, 23:10
Okay, this character isn't 100% done as there's things I still need to finish on it that I'm not sure about- mostly 'cause I lack the source for it on FG itself.
I've put all my concerns and the like in the 'Notes' section.

You want my number too right? How shall I upload that? Pasting?

Sorry again for being useless, I've had one PFS game and I think it was back in January.

xazil
August 26th, 2015, 23:32
Victors assignments look pretty good. Remember pregens are available also and you can redo you or character as much as you like until you play them at level 2.

Evloret no problems, if your playing a character you have played before then if you can attach your previous chronicle that should tell me all I need. If not, the. Yes the number and your starting gold is enough for a brand new character.

Blackfoot
August 26th, 2015, 23:46
A few things with your character... 11 HP -- base 8 CON +2 Favored Class +1
You probably want some thieves' tools.
It's generally a good idea to list your traits and class abilities on the abilities tab .. some folks list traits in with feats because they are sorta like 'half feats' others list them as special abilities. There is space there to list your proficiencies as well.
The combat tab is the place to put the class values for saves and your armor bonuses. Those get included into the calculations FG makes for your character.
You want to pick a faction.
If you select a Human Ethnicity you 'could' get an extra language... depending on the one selected.
I've added a few tweaks and some useful effects.

Evloret
August 26th, 2015, 23:51
Victors assignments look pretty good. Remember pregens are available also and you can redo you or character as much as you like until you play them at level 2.

Evloret no problems, if your playing a character you have played before then if you can attach your previous chronicle that should tell me all I need. If not, the. Yes the number and your starting gold is enough for a brand new character.

Thanks.

No, this is a new character.

Will there be a chance to update it when there's more source material so the rolls work properly?

My number is... # 168108, but this character isn't listed there.

Oh, and would everyone/someone flip a coin please? It's not 100% important, but I usually do it to decide gender.

EDIT

Snip

Thanks a bunch. I REALLY considered Thieves' Tools, but they put me into the medium weight category IIRC and that's really not good news...I'll see what items I can do without 'till I can get a Masterwork Backpack.

Victor
August 27th, 2015, 00:06
I am afraid to ask which is Heads and which is Tails, but..

Tails!

To get a new # You need to set up a new character on Paizo and get your next number, it will be 168108-something. (I'm guesing 2) :)

The armor does not equip when you put it in the inventory like the weapons do, you need to put the stats for the armor in the combat tab.

Victor
August 27th, 2015, 00:09
Remember pregens are available also and you can redo you or character as much as you like until you play them at level 2.

Thanks for running this twice bud!

Evloret
August 27th, 2015, 00:59
I am afraid to ask which is Heads and which is Tails, but..

Tails!

Tails is female because heads is...well I have a dirty mind.

Does the information matter massively with the character; is says the avatar name is taken - does that mean I can't use the name for the character? Or doesn't that even matter?

Oh, and I changed the one Blackfoot uploaded a tiny bit, it's just an item or two (The thieves tools put me to the absolute limit of light category) and things like height etc. Thanks again Blackfoot!

I'd have added an eyepatch but I don't think they're allowed considering they're not on Nethys.

Is there a place on the FG character to actually write the faction? I can't find it, but I've gone for Grand Lodge.

Victor
August 27th, 2015, 01:19
Does the information matter massively with the character; is says the avatar name is taken - does that mean I can't use the name for the character? Or doesn't that even matter?

You need an official unique name so you can get a number and have your games reported under that name. I don't think anyone cares what you call yourself in-game. :) Kinda like my dog's papers don't match what we call her. Woof!

xazil
August 27th, 2015, 01:23
As Victor says it doesn't need to be a 100% match. Often I use a surname, handle, nickname or punctuation to make the name a bit different on Paizo. So your registration name might be "Renna the Blade", but once you start playing most people just call you "Renna" or "Ms Blade". :)

Evloret
August 27th, 2015, 01:34
Alrighty, sounds about right, Ta you two.

Before I finally update it and everything, would anyone recommend I change my languages? I know I can change them later, but I don't want to end up with three useless ones for a session, I don't have enough Perform to communicate through interpenetrate dance!

cmdisc
August 27th, 2015, 07:03
I have added myself to the calendar and am aiming for Saturday. Glad to be on board. :)

As mentioned before, I am away in the afternoon and will do everything I can to make sure I am back in time for the session at 9pm local. I'll post my character soon. He has no XP, but as an Ifrit I will provide the Boon Chronicle for him.

Naughtydread
August 27th, 2015, 08:21
With lots of help from Blackfoot here is my .xml

I have uploaded a different character with help from Axit :)

Blackfoot
August 27th, 2015, 08:24
I have added myself to the calendar and am aiming for Saturday. Glad to be on board. :)

As mentioned before, I am away in the afternoon and will do everything I can to make sure I am back in time for the session at 9pm local. I'll post my character soon. He has no XP, but as an Ifrit I will provide the Boon Chronicle for him.
Too bad I'm playing on Friday.. we could have formed the Blazing Ifrit Army of Flame.

xazil
August 27th, 2015, 08:25
Ok, looks like things are going pretty well on party make-up and numbers.

Friday Group:
Blackfoot Cleric
Evloret Rogue
Naughtydread Wizard
Farnaby Investigator

Saturday Group:
Victor Fighter
cmdisc Bard
BK Rogue
Axit Arcane
Malkavain_andi Rogue

I will have various 1st level Pre-Gens available also at hand if we have any last minute drop ins, but could everyone please post their files as soon as you can.

Blackfoot
August 27th, 2015, 08:29
It is important to note that my cleric is not a positive energy 'healing' cleric.. he's a negative energy 'burning' cleric. I will take some heals as spells... but.. burn baby burn.

Malkavian_Andi
August 27th, 2015, 09:44
could everyone please post their files as soon as you can.My files are on the first page of this thread ;)

cmdisc
August 27th, 2015, 13:41
Here, darlings, is Flayr Simmerheart, my Ifrit Bard (Dawnflower Dervish). He is so thrilled to make each of your acquaintances, my delicious little pigeons. ;)

Bashido2
August 27th, 2015, 14:44
Im interested in the friday game.
i also need help making the character lol :3
Im on teamspeak today (General Muster channel right now), if someone wants to help me. (im a noob at PFS)

Evloret
August 27th, 2015, 16:26
Alright then, having looked at a couple of other characters, my languages are in fact ok (Common/Elven/Draconic) so I can finish the number thing too...I'm almost done with the final version of the character - I think all that's left is a character portrait, where should I look?

# 168108-2 - number

Character file is done sans-portrait (If that's needed for the character icon)

Edit: Added deity.

poppy_thompson
August 27th, 2015, 16:28
I have previously run levels 1-5. I do have level 6 prep'd already and will probably offer it in the future. Currently I have been running them ad-hoc.

Great. I will keep my eyes open for this.

I haven't played PFS in a while. I have never played it on FG. I am anxious to check it out again.

MAT

Bashido2
August 27th, 2015, 19:05
I can email you the sheets for my summoner, xazil.
Just PM me your email adress. :3

Blackfoot
August 27th, 2015, 19:21
You should be able to attached them to your post here.

Bashido2
August 27th, 2015, 21:17

Naughtydread
August 27th, 2015, 23:18
Good day, anyone available now to help me create a PFS character using TS? If so just shoot me a PM.

xazil
August 28th, 2015, 01:18
Feel free to change Naughtydread or if you like there are Pre-Gens available for you to try out classes without the work of building it (eg Seoni the Sorcerer). I'm unfortunately unavailable for TS until shortly prior to play starting (work, sleep and prior commitments).

Blackfoot
August 28th, 2015, 05:32
Good day, anyone available now to help me create a PFS character using TS? If so just shoot me a PM.
Sorry. I was tied up most of the afternoon/evening and was unable to assist. I will be back online after about 9am eastern time and will be available to help anyone who needs it until gametime at 2pm eastern.

xazil
August 28th, 2015, 15:18
Server is up per the address in my signature. Please feel free to connect and fill in your portraits. XMLs have been uploaded already. I'll be online about twenty minutes prior to start. If you have any questions please feel free to post and I'll check when I awake.

Evloret
August 28th, 2015, 17:26
I have no idea what to use portrait-wise.

Any ideas/suggestions? Or sources please?

cmdisc
August 28th, 2015, 18:10
The simplest thing you can do is a Google Images search if you want,
save a picture to your desktop,
open it with Paint (or whatever image software you have),
crop it down to the head or a little more so that you have a square image,
save it as a .jpg,
and drop it into the portraits folder in your fantasygrounds data folder.

I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but it's a quick and easy method.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2015, 18:20
The simplest thing you can do is a Google Images search if you want,
save a picture to your desktop,
open it with Paint (or whatever image software you have),
crop it down to the head or a little more so that you have a square image,
save it as a .jpg,
and drop it into the portraits folder in your fantasygrounds data folder.

I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but it's a quick and easy method.
This works well - make sure you crop the portrait to 63x63 pixels in dimension - this is what FG uses and will mean FG isn't resizing/stretching/shrinking the image which might result in it not displaying correctly.

Evloret
August 28th, 2015, 18:31
Alrighty then, thanks you two.

Now to play the waiting game.

xazil
August 29th, 2015, 09:06
Good job all in the first group and thanks for coming and playing.

Could everyone in the second group that hasn't sent me their files please do so ahead of the game.

cmdisc
August 29th, 2015, 09:51
Scheduling update:

The wife and I are attending a dinner party for the local theater which will begin at 4pm GMT instead of 3pm as first believed. As this game begins at 7pm GMT, I'm going to be hard-pressed to make it. I would say anticipate me not showing up and make any necessary adjustments accordingly. I apologize if this puts anyone into a bind.

AxitMaster
August 29th, 2015, 18:20
Hi Xaxil

This should be the updated character and companion files with pics. Please check the pics to ensure that they are sizes correctly for use. Not always sure if I get them right or not.

cmdisc
August 29th, 2015, 22:04
Hey guys, got back and the kids settled not that long ago. I hope the game is going well and no one is dying on account of my absence. I thought of hopping onto TS, but I don't want to interrupt the session any.

Sorry again and let me know how things went.

Victor
August 29th, 2015, 22:14
Hey bud,
I am dying at the moment but stable so have time to respond :) wheee!
I asked if you could still join but turns out this is the 3rd or 4th encounter already depending how you count. :) 4 if you count my travails. I'll be fine tho. just waiting. We are sorry you couldn't make it.

cmdisc
August 29th, 2015, 22:41
Hey bud,
I am dying at the moment but stable so have time to respond :) wheee!
I asked if you could still join but turns out this is the 3rd or 4th encounter already depending how you count. :) 4 if you count my travails. I'll be fine tho. just waiting. We are sorry you couldn't make it.

Yeah, I figured it was too late for this. I'm not sure how the module works, but standard scenarios have 4-5 encounters. So once you've done 2, odds are there isn't enough left to get full credit. It's ok though. I'll just have to make sure I don't have other plans next time that might mess up my timing. :)

Rockstar
September 1st, 2015, 03:58
I would love to join you guys if there s a spot left. my schedule is quite flexible.

xazil
September 1st, 2015, 04:14
I would love to join you guys if there s a spot left. my schedule is quite flexible.

Sorry Rockstar, I ran this twice last weekend and wasn't planning on repeating again in the near future.

cmdisc
September 1st, 2015, 05:56

Just in case you aren't familiar with how Pathfinder Society games work; they are one-shot adventures that begin and end in a single session. Longer modules might sometimes require a 2nd or even 3rd session. The premise is that you have a registered character that you can take from table to table and through one adventure to another, collecting Chronicle sheets from various GMs and leveling that character over a course of however long it takes you. Generally 33 scenarios on normal track is enough to get you from 1st to 12th level.

But then, if you know all this already, then I'm just preaching to the choir. :p

Victor
September 1st, 2015, 06:47
But then, if you know all this already, then I'm just preaching to the choir. :p

Never hurts to reiterate, nice block of text to keep on hand.
I am in the choir, but they are out of tune when I sing. :)

xazil
September 2nd, 2015, 15:02
Here are chronicles for those I dont have email addresses. Also here is the special Land Rush chronicle associated with the Emerald Spire if people are interested please contact me and we can look at filling it in and updating chronicles further.

Evloret
September 2nd, 2015, 17:17
Thanks Xazil, with any luck I'll be able to download the chronicle by Sunday.

xazil
September 2nd, 2015, 21:26
Thanks Xazil, with any luck I'll be able to download the chronicle by Sunday.
You can't download the Sable file a couple posts up?

Evloret
September 20th, 2015, 01:39
I've not had a working computer for over a month. Well, until an hour or three ago - it's why I'm posting here now to say thanks again.

What exactly is Land Rush?

xazil
September 20th, 2015, 03:28
Land rush is if you do a lot of Emerald Spire it gives you a way to buy some extra stuff and expand your fame. Probably not worth the hassle otherwise.

Malkavian_Andi
September 20th, 2015, 10:58
It's basically some opportunities for small bonuses on day job rolls and some extra prestige/fame. The special hexes are quite nice.

You can buy one hex for each level of Emerald Spire you complete (and it's per character, not per player, so you have to complete those Emerald Spire levels with the same character if you want to do a lot of Land Rush), and you have to start on Hex A on the little map that's on the chronicle, then expand to adjacent hexes (but that's also explained on the chronicle).

Evloret
September 20th, 2015, 23:08
Ah right, thanks you two. It's not that likely to be something that will come up.

I will look for other games though!