PDA

View Full Version : Exporting A Module... Why?

Elric
January 10th, 2005, 00:50
Feature: Campaigns can now be exported as modules. A module contains the story, personality and item entries, and images with drawings and masks not applied. To export a module, use the command:
/export [module file name] [description]
The file name can't contain spaces, and will be prepended with ".mod" if not specified. The description will be the text visible on the module selection sheet.
Maybe I got into the mindset of calling a module that I convert into FG a 'Campaign' since I started playing with FG, but why would you want to export a Campaign to a Module again? :D

msd
January 10th, 2005, 00:53
Feature: Campaigns can now be exported as modules. A module contains the story, personality and item entries, and images with drawings and masks not applied. To export a module, use the command:
/export [module file name] [description]
The file name can't contain spaces, and will be prepended with ".mod" if not specified. The description will be the text visible on the module selection sheet.
Maybe I got into the mindset of calling a module that I convert into FG a 'Campaign' since I started playing with FG, but why would you want to export a Campaign to a Module again? :D

Just guessing...

Isn't it so that I can take my one-shot (organized as a campaign) and put it in a format (as a module) so that you can import it into your already running campaign without wrecking (or overwriting) your already existing campaign?

Again, just guessing. :D

Matt

Bagpuss2
January 10th, 2005, 01:06
I thought it was so you could release your campaign to the world without the world being able to edit it.

So for example you could create some funky items in a stand alone campaign then export it as a module.

Some other GM could then activate your module within his campaign, and use the items but not actually edit them and make them his own.

Goblin-King
January 10th, 2005, 07:27
You can edit the items imported from the module, but the edits are only effective in the campaign it's imported into. The idea here is that if the PCs burn down a tavern mentioned in module material (you know they will), you can make a note of it.

The basic idea of modules is that it's a convenient format of passing data between users and storing non campaign specific data in a form you can access from all campaigns. If you want to create a pack of the 100 coolest villains, magic items, encounters or whatever, it could contain just these. It could be a set of battle map images, or a campaign setting. Also, since you can turn modules off, it's a convenient way to import adventures, and remove the clutter after the adventure is done.

A campaign is, in its basic form, intended to be something that contains the running game for a certain set of players. If you want to run multiple groups in the same campaign setting, you could accomplish this using modules.

Elric
January 10th, 2005, 12:41
Ok - I think I see now. :D

I loaded my Campaign, exported it as a Module and then activated the Module and saw where it doubled up on everything (which I know it wouldn't do if I had a different Campaign loaded at the time of module activation).

I was concerned because when I exported the module, the .mod file was only 1k - until I saw the thread about updating the rulesets. I had to copy the ????_export.xml and update the base.xml file in my AD&D 1E ruleset before it would work right. :D