PDA

View Full Version : Casting at higher level and other misc. modifiers

limpinjezus
August 24th, 2015, 15:05
With regard to spell actions; Is there a good programmatic way of handling casting spells at higher level, other than creating a spell action for each level? Also, is there a good way to handle misc. modifiers such as Life Domain healing benefits (2 + spell level extra healing) other than creating spell actions for each spell level possible?

Redemption77
August 24th, 2015, 15:52
Ive been curious about handling casting at higher level as well. Right now Ive just been having them roll the extra dice for the extra level damage and adding it to the tracker myself. Not the best way, but its the way which has worked and kept things moving so far

TASagent
August 24th, 2015, 16:00
I think you need to create the extra spell action or effect.

Depending on the spell, something you could do is actually use an effect that gets expended on the next roll. For example, for Burning Hands, do something like:

Higher Level; DMG:1d6 fire;

Add this as an effect to the spell, and make it target Self and expend on the next roll. Then, when you're going to roll damage for burning hands, just hit the effect button once for every additional level you are adding. All the extra dice will be rolled on the upcoming attack, and the effects will be cleared. Most higher-level abilities can be pretty easily set up this way.

limpinjezus
August 24th, 2015, 16:18
Depending on the spell, something you could do is actually use an effect that gets expended on the next roll. For example, for Burning Hands, do something like:

Higher Level; DMG:1d6 fire;

Add this as an effect to the spell, and make it target Self and expend on the next roll. Then, when you're going to roll damage for burning hands, just hit the effect button once for every additional level you are adding. All the extra dice will be rolled on the upcoming attack, and the effects will be cleared. Most higher-level abilities can be pretty easily set up this way.

Thanks! I'll explore this avenue.

epithet
August 24th, 2015, 16:38
I just create a damage action button for each possible level of the spell, rather than an effect to modify the base spell damage. For a spell like burning hands, I would wind up eventually with 9 different damage buttons to choose from--just click the one that corresponds with the level of the spell slot used.

kylania
August 24th, 2015, 16:42
Just always cast at the highest level. You're already a weakling sparklefingers, might as well go big always before the Goliath crushes you for not giving 110%! :)

Wonderbringer
August 24th, 2015, 16:54
While you have die pool clicked and dragged, you can right click to add another dice of it's kind. So, if you have a Cure Wounds healing effect clicked and dragged you can right-click to add more 1d8's. You just have to manage added dice and spell slot levels (which are already handled so) manually.

jshauber
August 24th, 2015, 18:48
I just create a damage action button for each possible level of the spell, rather than an effect to modify the base spell damage. For a spell like burning hands, I would wind up eventually with 9 different damage buttons to choose from--just click the one that corresponds with the level of the spell slot used.

This is what I am having my characters do as they are leveling up and using higher level spell slots for lower level spells.

Zacchaeus
August 24th, 2015, 20:02
Yes, what Wonderbringer said. No need to get complicated with effects or anything if all you need is to add a dice or two to the damage roll.