PDA

View Full Version : Help with 'Error Reading End Tag' Error.

Jwguy
August 23rd, 2015, 19:43
Hey everyone.

I recently decided I wanted to correct some bugs in the Bastion Press "Arms and Armor" 3.5e Module. I had bought it before it was removed from sale, and I was always unhappy with the fact that none of the items had their stats in them.

So, I went through and manually edited the XML to add the proper statistics to every mundane weapon and armor, and tried reintroducing it back into Fantasy Grounds. I did the normal stuff: Close Fantasy Grounds, create backups of everything, etc.

When I try to activate the module, I get an error stating the following: "Database Error: A XML Parse Error occurred when processing file Arms & Armor 3.5:common.xml - Error on 4855: Error Reading End Tag"

Now, I'm not terribly bad at understanding lingo, so I reopened everything up in Notepad++, and scrolled down to line 4855. It's the following:

<p>This heavy weapon is designed to do two things well, destroy plate armor and break bones. On a critical hit, it does normal damage to any plate armor (or similar armor like a breastplate) in the area it strikes as well as the usual extra damage to the wearer.</p>

There really doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this line, to me. Plenty of other lines use the Paragraph format and none of them have problems, and the formatting brackets are closed properly. What gives? It is probably just me, but I can't find the error for squat.

I'll attach the .xml file in full, but I'll remove it once the problem is solved, and hold you guys to the honor system. I purchased it fair and square, but you know... Copyright material and all.

damned
August 23rd, 2015, 23:34
I cant see anything wrong with it. Id suggest you try copying the three lines from another entry in over the top and seeing if the error goes. eg something like:

<description type="formattedtext">
<p>The composite horse archer's bows follow all of the normal rules for composite bows, including strength ratings. It otherwise conforms to the rules detailed for the horse archer's longbow.</p>
</description>

If it fixes it - TYPE the description in and dont copy/paste it in....

Jwguy
August 24th, 2015, 01:29
No go. But I did figure something out, and it seemed to work.

I dug out my backup, and loaded the module to make sure it worked (it did). Then, I just opened the common.xml in the copy of the backup I loaded, and pasted all the changes in. Somehow, that worked; It must have been something other than the .xml file's contents, themselves. Maybe it was somehow compressing wonkily?

Either way, thanks for trying. I'm gonna' remove the file, now.