PDA

View Full Version : D&D Scourge of the Sword Coast

bnickelsen
August 20th, 2015, 21:55
Has any one run this adventure?

My main concern is timing, I am taking my group from LMoP and on to HOTDQ, I was going to through in a random dungeon (located by the Map found in Lost Mines) and place it not far from the starting town in HOTDQ. Thus as teh party left the random dungeon they would just naturally head that way.

Then I saw "D&D Scourge of the Sword Coast" It starts at 2nd level but cant find any more detail.

How many levels could I expect the party to gain and how involved is the adventure. would it work for a side dungeon?

Any opinions or thoughts.

kylania
August 20th, 2015, 22:03
There are five main sections and a short intro to the module and take the players up to 5th level.

bnickelsen
August 20th, 2015, 22:51
Sounds like it might work then.

Griogre
August 20th, 2015, 23:36
The problem I see with you adventure sequence is the HotDQ is suppose to start at 1st and with RoT go from 1st to 15th level. LMoP goes from 1st to around 5th. Scourge goes from 2nd to 5th. It would seem you are putting a lot of work on yourself to mash these together. You've got a bunch of common low levels which would normally cause the party to be too high a level after the first one or part of it you run. :p Why not just run them separately?

bnickelsen
August 20th, 2015, 23:49
The problem I see with you adventure sequence is the HotDQ is suppose to start at 1st and with RoT go from 1st to 15th level. LMoP goes from 1st to around 5th. Scourge goes from 2nd to 5th. It would seem you are putting a lot of work on yourself to mash these together. You've got a bunch of common low levels which would normally cause the party to be too high a level after the first one or part of it you run. :p Why not just run them separately?

I don't favor the XP rate as represented. So I have cut the XP award by a %. My group is leveling a bit slower. That also means I need some filler stuff to help get them up in level. I have also already adjusted about 50% of HOTDQ to account for a lower level group.

TASagent
August 21st, 2015, 04:30
An interesting thing about Scourge in this case is it has 5 decent size dungeons. You might need to adapt (or integrate into your campaign) the party's reason for going to each/any, but if you did, you could use the NPCs, location descriptions, and dungeon maps of any or all of them. You could dice them up and sprinkle them into different parts of a campaign. It would fit what it sounds like you want a lot better than what I'm currently working on, Legacy of the Crystal Shard, which is entirely event driven and would demand the party's "full attention" for the span of events to make any sense.

TASagent
August 21st, 2015, 04:32
If you're interested in seeing what the maps look like, they're all on the artist's site. (https://mikeschley.zenfolio.com/p588705089)

xanstin
August 21st, 2015, 11:49
Keep in mind HotDQ and RoT do not include enough encounters to level using XP. It assumes you use a milestone system that levels PC's after each episode irrelevant to XP. RoT falls really short of XP numbers needed.

bnickelsen
August 21st, 2015, 12:32
Keep in mind HotDQ and RoT do not include enough encounters to level using XP. It assumes you use a milestone system that levels PC's after each episode irrelevant to XP. RoT falls really short of XP numbers needed.

I may need to add more side quests. I made each player in my group add a mystery into their background that I am also trying to weave into the Campaign. I had also toyed with the Ideal of overlapping HotDQ and RoT with EE but thought two epic story lines would be a bit much to handle. At least from the player perspective. But may still introduce EE somewhere before the end of RoT. No rest for my heroes........

damned
August 21st, 2015, 14:04
I may need to add more side quests. I made each player in my group add a mystery into their background that I am also trying to weave into the Campaign. I had also toyed with the Ideal of overlapping HotDQ and RoT with EE but thought two epic story lines would be a bit much to handle. At least from the player perspective. But may still introduce EE somewhere before the end of RoT. No rest for my heroes........

punish them mercilessly!