PDA

View Full Version : Looking to try out a small game!

Flavius
August 19th, 2015, 21:31
Hello, I'm looking to try this out. If there are any short games going to be going anytime soon. I used to play heroes quest back in the 90s as a kid and I loved it but friends moved away so no more heroes quest, lol. I'm interested in getting back into some DnD so I'd like to start with something small-ish. Maybe with a small group who can explain things as we go.

JohnD
August 19th, 2015, 23:15
Hi Flavius. You made a good choice coming to Fantasy Grounds.

It will help if you can list your time zone, which days of the week you are available to play and your earliest start / latest stop times for gaming.

Also, I assume you are looking for 5E, but are there any other rule systems you are willing to try?

Flavius
August 19th, 2015, 23:33
My timezone is est and I had been going to bed at night. I can do almost any day and time except for early/mid mornings as I try to keep my sleep semi-regular. I do help take care of 8 of my own dogs and a couple fosters atm so breaks every now and then might be needed. I haven't dnd'd since the 90s on heroes quest so I'm up for any edition. I will be very new to it so preferably someone experienced who can show me the ropes. I don't mind 1+1 or 1+many but I am new! lol

notanumber
August 20th, 2015, 00:15
I just ran a group through the Pathfinder Beginner Box last night. Took about 2.5 hours. If I can find a few more players, I'd be willing to run it a second time. It might be a little tough with just a single player.

If you know anyone else that's looking for a game, send me a PM and I'll setup a time.

Flavius
August 20th, 2015, 00:16
How many would we need?

notanumber
August 20th, 2015, 00:27
You'd probably want to have two other players. The module was designed for four, but it runs fine with three. Two is probably too few in my experience.

Maybe wait a few days to see if anyone else is looking for a game and we can "gather a party to venture forth".

Alternatively, you could check out Pathfinder Society Games or D&D Adventurer's League. Both are specifically designed to be completed in one session (usually) and are easy to drop in and out of as the storyline is more of an overarching storyline characters can participate in, or not, as time presents as opposed to a long running campaign where your party is the central focus.

Trenloe
August 20th, 2015, 00:58
Alternatively, you could check out Pathfinder Society Games or D&D Adventurer's League. Both are specifically designed to be completed in one session (usually) and are easy to drop in and out of as the storyline is more of an overarching storyline characters can participate in, or not, as time presents as opposed to a long running campaign where your party is the central focus.
I'd recommend you play a few games before trying the organised play games - as they're designed to run in a single session there sometimes isn't too much free time to help a newbie learn the ropes. The last thing you want is to feel rushed when you're trying to work things out and learn both a new RPG system and a new application (FG).

Felowen
August 20th, 2015, 01:51
Hey guys. I am just getting back into RPG's as well. I have the Ultimate subscription on FG and picked up the 5e modules and the Pathfinder ones. I left D&D back in 2e a long time ago. I am open really to either system. My availability is typically Tues, Thurs or Sat afternoons EST. Eventually I want to get into the Adventurer's League type campaigns but for now I understand the one shots are a better learning option. If you guys get something setup I would be glad to join in. I have already put together a half-elf warlock for D&D, but I can work on a pathfinder char instead if you go that route.

damned
August 20th, 2015, 02:00
Welcome Felowen. Keep an eye on the New Posts https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post and express your interest whenever a game matches your availability and you will find a game. If you are prepared to try out some other systems as well it will be that much easier again!

Morgentaler
August 20th, 2015, 05:21
Any Job Openings at Smiteworks?
Id be happy to run demo's to show off roleplaying and the awesome software :P
Having converted a few people to to fantasy grounds ultimate license MM & PHB :)

That joke asside, welcome both Felowen & Flavius. After running 2 one shots for FGDaze..I'm reminded of the need to try and have more 1 shot games. As in every gaming community offline or on the amount of DM's vs Players is always short. And it makes me sad that all these people want to enjoy this awesome hobby of mine and can't. So keep yer eyes open at the worst I can run first Part of LMoP pretty easily. If there's interest..other than that the 3 and a half campaigns I currently manage take up most of my time and sanity :)

notanumber
August 20th, 2015, 15:55
Hmm, I think there's probably enough interest that I could run the Pathfinder Beginner Box. I see a player in this thread is also looking for a beginner friendly game (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25656-Reliable-player-looking-for-group).

I can probably run this on Tuesday at 7:30 PDT(-8GMT) if that works for everyone.

Sebmono
August 21st, 2015, 23:39
Hi, just joined the FG forums and noticed this thread, I would love to participate in this run through of the Pathfinder Beginner Box if there's still space. I'm fairly new to PF still, but have been reading hard and a small game like this would be great, Tuesday at 730PDT works great for me as well, let me know what I can do!