PDA

View Full Version : NOOB considering purchasing (with questions)

pay4lawschool
August 19th, 2015, 01:06
I am looking to pick this up as a PLAYER to find and play in games outside of my local gaming area. In other words, I wanna play some D&D when I can't get MY crew together. So I wouldn't be using this to facilitate my local game, but rather to find a game.

Is there any way to demo the player experience? Seems like the demo is designed for a GM. Please advise. This is probably a stupid question, but hey...doesn't hurt to ask.

Nibelung
August 19th, 2015, 01:09
If you want to see how the program looks like to a player, you can open two instances of the launcher, and join your own game. It is not a perfect situation (that would be joining a game of a Ultimate License holder), but it should help.

Mask_of_winter
August 19th, 2015, 01:10
Best way is to join a game where the GM has an Ultimate License. Since FGDaze! just ended I'd suggest looking at the Adventurer's League.

JohnD
August 19th, 2015, 01:53
Look around in the LFG section. There are always DMs looking to add a player. If the DM has an Ultimate license, you can join and play with just the Demo.

Even if there isn't an open spot, you could ask to join a game just to observe - that's how I got my first taste of what FG gaming is like and I was hooked... perhaps that will work for you. I see M_o_W has already suggested this... and it's a good suggestion.

Are you specifically looking for 5E or are there other systems you are open to trying?

Good luck and welcome.

Zacchaeus
August 19th, 2015, 08:57
Maybe I'm focusing too much on the word Demo but there are a whole pile of videos which look at Fantasy Grounds from the player perspective here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Videos). If I'm missing the point then, yes you need to join a game and the boards here are a good place to start. Also if you have the demo version I don't believe that you can open up a second client and join yourself.

damned
August 19th, 2015, 13:11
Also if you have the demo version I don't believe that you can open up a second client and join yourself.

You can. Demo mode supports a GM instance and a Player instance. No more than one player instance - licensed or otherwise. No data will be saved.

Zacchaeus
August 19th, 2015, 13:37
You can. Demo mode supports a GM instance and a Player instance. No more than one player instance - licensed or otherwise. No data will be saved.

Well, I damned well learned something new again. See what I did there :)

pay4lawschool
August 19th, 2015, 15:18
Thanks guys!