PDA

View Full Version : Migrating a campaign to a new PC - GM inquiry

MagicofGaia
August 18th, 2015, 16:15
I'm still new to FG and have been sifting through the forums. I'm going to be building a new PC soon and wanted to be sure that if I created the campaign on this computer and let users create characters for the campaign once the server is live that as long as I transferred the local data to the new PC all campaign data, character sheets, etc would be intact.

This is especially important as I will have free players connecting to my game and don't want them to have to make the same character twice.

Thanks for any feedback.

Griogre
August 18th, 2015, 16:25
You are correct. Once you have your new PC ready then all you need to do is install FG on the new computer and then transfer the local data over to move all the campaigns, rulesets, extensions, portraits, etc.

Welcome to the boards, by the way. :)

MagicofGaia
August 18th, 2015, 16:56
You are correct. Once you have your new PC ready then all you need to do is install FG on the new computer and then transfer the local data over to move all the campaigns, rulesets, extensions, portraits, etc.

Welcome to the boards, by the way. :)

Thanks much!

Honken
August 18th, 2015, 17:18
Moving the Campaign is the easiest, just don't make my mistake and don't export the characters, because they are not saved in the Campaign folder.

If you have found where FG stuff is stored on the Harddrive all you have to do is to peek into the Campaign folder, copy the Campaign you want to move/backup. I do not know though how it handles the bought adventure modules. If they are saved as campaigns or not...

/H

Trenloe
August 18th, 2015, 18:18
I do not know though how it handles the bought adventure modules. If they are saved as campaigns or not...
They're not campaigns, they are either stored in the <FG app data>\modules directory or in the content vault. Copy your <FG app data>\modules directory to your new computer and run an update to populate the content vault (entering your FG username and password in the "Update" section of the settings window).

Zacchaeus
August 18th, 2015, 18:49
Moving the Campaign is the easiest, just don't make my mistake and don't export the characters, because they are not saved in the Campaign folder.

I'm not sure this is correct. I just copied one of my campaigns and the characters are all there. Whilst the original characters (which, once created, were exported once created to a folder within the AppData directory) didn't copy over, the version of the character used in the module did.

However as Trenloe says you'll want to copy over the entire AppData folder anyway and unless you store exported characters in a completely different folder outside of AppData then everything should port over fine - unless I am seriously misunderstanding how things work, which, to be honest, is quite a lot of the time :)

Trenloe
August 18th, 2015, 18:52
Characters made (and imported into) the campaign will come over the with campaign data when copying the whole <FG app data>\campaigns\<campaign name> directory.

Characters created using manage characters don't come with the campaigns, you need to copy <FG app data>\characters to get your local Manage Characters data across.

Zacchaeus
August 18th, 2015, 19:13
Ah, right. Thanks for clearing that up Trenloe.

MTS
August 18th, 2015, 19:50
- unless I am seriously misunderstanding how things work, which, to be honest, is quite a lot of the time :)

Oh yeah. That's me alright. I have my foot in my mouth half the time, but the other half of the time I typically learn something... :)

Zacchaeus
August 18th, 2015, 20:25
Oh yeah. That's me alright. I have my foot in my mouth half the time, but the other half of the time I typically learn something... :)

Yeah, the trick is to just keep posting things until Trenloe comes on and explains it all and we're sorted :)

Blackwolf
September 9th, 2015, 07:37
Ok I must Have missed something or messed it up some how. I got the ultimate License working on the new PC for 5E and FG working but still none of the old content transferred right, from the old PC to the new. Start Over? I also can't find the folders Trenloe is referring to on the old PC. Any help would be much appreciated.

dulux-oz
September 9th, 2015, 08:47
Ok I must Have missed something or messed it up some how. I got the ultimate License working on the new PC for 5E and FG working but still none of the old content transferred right, from the old PC to the new. Start Over? I also can't find the folders Trenloe is referring to on the old PC. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'll see if I can help :)

On the old PC: start FG and on the Launch Screen you should see a little Folder Button towards the top right. If you click on it it should open up your FG apps directory (what I call the Fantasy_Grounds_Data directory in my Tutorial Videos). from here the easiest this is to grab all the sub-folders and files and copy them onto a USB drive or floppy disk or cloud storage or whatever.

On the new PC, load FG and on the Launch Screen click on the same little folder button. Now copy the subfolders on the USB drive/whatever to this folder.

Now all you need to do is run an FG update and you should be good to go.

<German_Accent>Questions?</German_Accent>

Blackwolf
September 9th, 2015, 16:57
Ok that did it Dulux thanks I must have missed that tutorial. I am now up and running.