PDA

View Full Version : Client Freezing

Berun
August 18th, 2015, 04:14
I am connecting to a friends game. Several other people are connected to him as well without problem. After a few minutes or so my client locks up. I do not get any errors or popups. Windows does not say the game is not responding. But I cannot do anything in the client. The only way to get it to work again is to restart the application. But the problem persists and restarting isn't a solution. I am getting pretty frustrated with this because it seems I am the only person having this problem. I have reinstalled my FG2 client twice. I have tried running in compatibility mode. I have tried running as administrator but nothing seems to work.

The problem seems to trigger when my GM Host does something with my character sheet when I am viewing it or changing something. But that may just be a coincidence...

Any help?

Mask_of_winter
August 18th, 2015, 04:22
Is your GM forcing the download of an adventure module?

Berun
August 18th, 2015, 04:27
We are using Horde of the Dragon Queen. Not sure if he is "forcing" it. But bear in mind that no one else among our merry band is having this issue.

Mask_of_winter
August 18th, 2015, 04:29
Any unusual characters used for your character name?

Berun
August 18th, 2015, 04:48
Berun is my character's name... lol.

Moon Wizard
August 18th, 2015, 05:47
Make sure that the GM is not forcing any downloads on their module activation screen. It sounds like the client may be downloading in background and eventually overcomes memory limits. There is an outstanding issue where forced downloads of modules with lots of images (or hi-res images) can cause crash conditions. The forced download of adventure modules is actually not what GMs want to do, since all the module information would be visible to players

Another possibility is that something in the ruleset is causing an endless loop. If no force loading of modules, please let us know which ruleset is used for your game and any steps to recreate issue.

Thanks,
JPG

Regards,
JPG

Phystus
August 18th, 2015, 23:48
Have you ever been able to stay working for longer (like half an hour or so)? If not it might be worth trying to coordinate a time with the GM to connect while nobody else is on, so your client can do its initial download of tokens, maps and such. Depending on how much the GM shares it may take some time, and by doing it when you're not playing you don't have to share the GM's bandwidth with the other players, plus you won't be eating into your gaming time. You can wander off and do chores or whatever while it downloads.

Also, are you on a wireless connection, and if so, can you try a wired connection?

~P

Trenloe
August 18th, 2015, 23:53
Ensure the GM doesn't have "Force Load" or "Allow" set for the adventure module/s - only the PHB/class modules should be set to allow.
Clear your player cache. Press the "Nuclear" button in the top right of the Join Game screen.
Try connecting again.

What Operating System are you using? Is it 32- or 64-bit?