PDA

View Full Version : Backgrounds and Feats

ronalmb
August 17th, 2015, 00:07
Is it possible to make backgrounds that grant feats as their feature and have it add the feat to the character when you drag the background to the character? I have started using Par5e and am just beginning to understand how things work. I had hoped I could use that, edit the xml to change out <features> to <feats> in the appropriate background data, but that method does not work.

For instance,
Lets say I have an "Actor" background and I want it's special feature to be that it gives a character the Actor feat. Is this possible within the scope of drag-and-drop character creation or is this something that must be manually done?

Thank you much.

Zacchaeus
August 17th, 2015, 11:32
I don't think it would be unless you can mess around with some xml coding or something exotic like that. Certainly par5e is a tool designed to get things into such a state that FG understands what it is. It's not actually adding things into the code of Fantasy Grounds and since backgrounds don't add feats par5e is never going to recognise a feat in a background. I'd suggest that you add the feats manually - and I'd also exercise caution in giving away a feat for free.

ronalmb
August 17th, 2015, 14:46
Thank you for the answer. I suspected, but hoped.

Feats won't be given away for free. In the home brew game we play (i've been a DM for 30+ years now), backgrounds have been reworked extensively to each grant one fairly significant advantage, be it certain feats (Actor, Athlete, Magic Initiate, etc), 5 points of starting Renown with specific groups, or other campaign related advantages. Several of the original background features, such as the Urchin's navigate-around-the-town one, are instead turned into skills (streetwise).