PDA

View Full Version : Reputation / Infamy rules

Draca
August 16th, 2015, 23:11
Anyone know about or have some rules for 5th edition using Reputation/ Infamy?
Ive looked around and havent found much to go on.
Im interested in running a Pirate themed game where the players are not so much pirates against the world , but more Rebels against a tyrant ruler.

Trenloe
August 17th, 2015, 00:08
I'd treat it like renown (DMG page 22-23) and also have it impact influence on NPCs (DMG page 78).

Zacchaeus
August 17th, 2015, 11:37
As Trenloe says and you could also mix in some of the "other rewards" at p227 et seq of the DMG.

Draca
August 17th, 2015, 15:35
hmmm, What about.

Fame / Infamy 1- 100 A rival faction would treat your score as negative.

Gain a character (level 2 points) So level alone will only take you so far
Accomplishments (1-3 points)
Great accomplishment(4-5 points)
Global/realm accomplishment (6-10 points)
Others(1/2 - ? points)

Have a level based cap for fame/infamy (Level X 5)
For someone to recognize you, roll a d20 with a DC based on circumstance, and modify the DC by Infamy/10.
Recognition= Advantage or disadvantage on social interactions, Discounts, overcharges at merchants ect.

My other thought is to tie Infamy to a ability score like honor, but instead of raising lowering it , it just starts at 0. and increases as you gain fame, from .5 points to 1 point or 2. (Less increase than the d100 style and no increase for level)
For recognition youd roll a DC modified by the Heroe/villains score bonus( based on the stat) and rival factions would be considered polar for resolution.

Then you could also add that the players receive hero points every level based on there Infamy modifier.

Any thoughts?

Zacchaeus
August 17th, 2015, 18:13
I remember writing a module for Neverwinter Nights and the way the reputation system there worked was that 50 points was neutral, 100 was super good and 0 was super bad. This I think might give you more flexibility in what you are wanting to do.

You'd need to test out any mechanic using reputation to decide the DC of a roll and that might be tricky. Personally I'd probably set the DC at 10 if neutral and get progressively easier or harder as you got closer to 0/100. Advantage/disadvantage would work well too in the right circumstances.

How you increase/decrease reputation is also fairly tricky and depends very much on what direction your players take the campaign, and how fast you want reputation to change. I'm not sure I see any reason for reputation to change at level up, but there should certainly be a scale of rep change depending on what the PCs do - or don't do. Again the increase/decrease would need to tie into how the campaign is progressing and what direction you are taking it. No point in assuming that the players will be enemies with a certain faction if you haven't done enough stuff to get a negative rating with them.

Personally I would keep it very simple - if players do A then faction B isn't going to like it, rather than if players do A then faction B isn't too fussed but if they do it again then they might get a little peeved before really working up some steam when they do it a third time. You get the drift I hope :)

Draca
August 18th, 2015, 04:29
Ok ive narrowed it down a bit.

New ability score Reputation, Starts at zero and goes to 20.
This score lessens the DC of recognition by the ability modifier just like a stat. 20= +5 basically 0 = -5.
You proficiency bonus also is included for the role , since powerful people tend to become known.

The DC to be recognized is
Hometown: 5
Locally: 10 (about 100 miles)
Regionally: 15 (about 500 Miles)
Entire continent: 20 (about 1000 miles)
Entire Plane: 25 (Everywhere)
Across planes: 30

Reputation is increased for deeds.
.5 point: Save the princess
1 point : Save an entire Town
2 points :Save the local area ( These are just markers to give an idea of what it takes to get to each tier of reward, and can be adjusted as needed. .5 points dont count until they are whole.)
3 points :Save the entire region
4 points: Save the entire continent ( Anything that is not known by others or an impact felt by others does not increase reputation )
5 points: Save the entire plane

To be recognized or to see if you are rather , the players rolls a Reputation save, 1d20 + Reputation Modifier + Proficiency bonus against the DC set by how far from home he is , or how far from his home the other person is.
If you are recognized then one of 2 things can occur.
1. If you are recognized and the person is aligned towards you , good - good, then you get advantage on all social interaction rolls with that person
A shopkeeper may give you a discount, you might actually get to meet with the king ect.
2. If you are recognized and the alignments are polar, then you have disadvantage on all social rolls with that person
A shopkeeper that is not aligned with you may charge you more , hoping you wont come back. the king would refuse to see you , as he'd rather see you dead.

Intimidate is an exception to the rule if they know about you from your reputation then intimidate is always at an advantage.

Hero points are given at every level = to 1 + Reputation modifier ( minimum 1 ) per level. All unused hero points are lost when you gain new ones at a new level. ( See hero points rules in the dmg for more info)

New Feats:
Low Key: Lower your Reputation by 4 points
Well Known: Increase your reputation by 2 points

Carousing:
Players can spend coin and lots of it to gain marginal increases in reputation ( .5 usually ). ( Like paying bards to sing songs about them , spending profuse amounts of coin at the town , donating large amounts of gold to the church ect ect.

Its fairly simple and with this system.
a 1st level hero with 0 reputation can be recognized in his hometown on a 8 or above, locally on a 13 or above , Regionally on an 18 or above.

A 20th level hero with a 20 reputation can be recognized regionally on a 5 or above , entire continent 10 and above , entire realm 15 and above , and across the planes on a 20.

Any thoughts?

Zacchaeus
August 18th, 2015, 10:24
Sounds like a plan :)

epithet
August 18th, 2015, 13:58
Now you just need an extension to add the stat to the FG character sheet. On that note, is there an extension already to add a Sanity (or Honor) stat?

Draca
August 19th, 2015, 00:19
yes i need to get an extension , and i think ill raise the DCs all by 5.

JohnD
August 19th, 2015, 02:01
I remember writing a module for Neverwinter Nights and the way the reputation system there worked was that 50 points was neutral, 100 was super good and 0 was super bad. This I think might give you more flexibility in what you are wanting to do.

You'd need to test out any mechanic using reputation to decide the DC of a roll and that might be tricky. Personally I'd probably set the DC at 10 if neutral and get progressively easier or harder as you got closer to 0/100. Advantage/disadvantage would work well too in the right circumstances.

How you increase/decrease reputation is also fairly tricky and depends very much on what direction your players take the campaign, and how fast you want reputation to change. I'm not sure I see any reason for reputation to change at level up, but there should certainly be a scale of rep change depending on what the PCs do - or don't do. Again the increase/decrease would need to tie into how the campaign is progressing and what direction you are taking it. No point in assuming that the players will be enemies with a certain faction if you haven't done enough stuff to get a negative rating with them.

Personally I would keep it very simple - if players do A then faction B isn't going to like it, rather than if players do A then faction B isn't too fussed but if they do it again then they might get a little peeved before really working up some steam when they do it a third time. You get the drift I hope :)
I was thinking of the same thing... NWN and NWN2 handled this really well.

Draca
August 20th, 2015, 13:23
I also pondered what if the person you were checking your reputation against was also a known hero?
So i thought perhaps there should be contested reputation check.
Basically..
Player rolls reputation : 1d20 Plus mod, plus PB
Villain or hero if so be it rolls the same..

If the one your checking against total is higher than your own roll then he shrugs off the power of your reputation.

Another idea ive tossed around is what if someone was running around slandering your reputation publicly, and in this case a reputation save is made against a DC set by the DM based on the time and resources being used to slander you. Beat the DC and the people hearing the slander just dont believe it.