PDA

View Full Version : A host in need of help!

kungers
August 16th, 2015, 11:09
Hello everyone!

I've just purchased an ultimate license from FG and a slew of 5e materials after trying out the demo with a friend. The problem we are running into, however, is that half of my group can connect to me, while the other half gets the Error during host license check message. In searching at the forums here, I've read that most likely the issue is with the client side firewall or AV. However, the same users are still having trouble connecting to me after whitelisting all exe's on the firewall, and turning off their AVs. We've even go so far as having them direct connect to their modems. Still, with all of these changes, the same users are having trouble connecting to me. It's been a real exercise in frustration for us, and I'm writing here in hopes that someone here can help!

Here is a list of things we've tried:

1. Added all firewall exceptions to inbound/outbound
2. Turned off and even uninstalled AV
3. Direct connect to modem(everyone, including me)
4. Hamachi connection
5. Softether connection
6. Everyone has port forwarded port 1802

It's worth noting that when I run a connection test, I come back as a success. Also, the players that can connect, can connect in any configuration I try. It's just the two that can't, can't no matter what. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I patiently await your insightful replies!:)

Mask_of_winter
August 16th, 2015, 11:15
Any chance some of them are connecting from Asia and you've given them your alias for them to connect?

kungers
August 16th, 2015, 11:54
Any chance some of them are connecting from Asia and you've given them your alias for them to connect?

Hi and thanks for the reply!

Yes we are all playing from Japan. I've given them an alias, and also my direct IP address. The ones that can connect, can connect using either the IP or the alias.

damned
August 16th, 2015, 12:50
Hi kungers,

Here is a list of things we've tried:

1. Added all firewall exceptions to inbound/outbound
2. Turned off and even uninstalled AV
3. Direct connect to modem(everyone, including me)
4. Hamachi connection
5. Softether connection
6. Everyone has port forwarded port 1802

Your players do not need to forward tcp1802 - will make no difference.
When you tested via Hamachi - everyone was trying to connect to your Hamachi IP? If so - they are then actually on the same network as you so it is most likely NOT a network issue but a security-software issue.
eg Windows Firewall or other Software/AV Firewall.

Can you have teh players try to connect to me? alias: damned.fg-con.com
It will be available for the next 90mins.

kungers
August 16th, 2015, 12:58
Hi kungers,

Your players do not need to forward tcp1802 - will make no difference.
When you tested via Hamachi - everyone was trying to connect to your Hamachi IP? If so - they are then actually on the same network as you so it is most likely NOT a network issue but a security-software issue.
eg Windows Firewall or other Software/AV Firewall.

Can you have teh players try to connect to me? alias: damned.fg-con.com
It will be available for the next 90mins.

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes everyone was on Hamachi and using my Hamachi ip. The ones that can connect got in no problem with the Hamachi ip. The ones that had trouble to begin with still couldn't get in. Thank you so much for throwing up your server. One of my players will attempt to log on any moment now.

kungers
August 16th, 2015, 13:02
He just attempted connecting to your server and got the same error. Should I attempt to tunnel my internet access through my vpn for my group? Would that help?

damned
August 16th, 2015, 13:08
check your Private Messages....

Trenloe
August 16th, 2015, 16:18
I'm guessing this is related to some of the player's IP address being blocked on the FG server for the Ultimate licence check. There's been a lot of issues with DDOS attacks from Asia (including Japan), so problem IP address ranges have been blocked.

Send an email to [email protected] mentioning some of the blocked player IP addresses and see if they can remove the block and get your players connected.

Extra info: When a player with a free licence connects to an ultimate license they need a brief connection to the Fantasy Grounds central server to verify the ultimate licence is valid. As you're getting the licence check error message it looks like this step is failing due to blocked IP addresses at the central Fantasy Grounds server.

kungers
August 17th, 2015, 04:31
Thank you all for you help! I will send FG an email as soon as I get everyone's IP addresses. Hopefully this is the problem and can be solved by next game day! Thanks again everyone!

kungers
August 21st, 2015, 08:48
I'm happy to report that all my players can now log in with their copies of the demo. Thanks for the help everyone! Looks like getting in touch with support and having them unblock their ip address blocks was the solution!