PDA

View Full Version : creating extra weapon dmg and effects

Azngalahad
August 14th, 2015, 08:08
hi, i'm trying to create some custom weapons to fill in the campaign for the incomplete ones but am running into some issues

for instance, lets say i'm trying to make a magic longsword, i can make it do 1d6 slashing damage, but i also want it to do 1d6 fire

i tried to enter in the damage as 1d6 slashing;1d6 fire, but this doesn't seem the right way to go

i know i can manually edit in the actions weapons it so that it has this but id like the players to be able to trade back and forth without having to re-edit it every time

also i was wondering if it was possible to say make it so it could deal damage specifically to undead? for instance, it would deal an extra 1d6 damage if it hit an undead?

any help would be appreciated, thank you

Azngalahad
August 14th, 2015, 08:11
also curious as to what the properties tab is for!

Zacchaeus
August 14th, 2015, 10:44
Here's a screenshot of a sword I just made, which might help.

Firstly you can make the basic sword in the items menu. If you give it the type weapon it will open up a few other dialog boxes including damage and properties. In the damage dialog you can only input one type of damage, say 1d6 slashing. ONce you have it in the players inventory click on the little magnifying glass to open up the dialog and then click on the little brown button beside the heading damage. You can now add more damage types by dragging in a dice and giving the damage a type in the box.

The properties box is the same as in the weapon list in the PHB, so that can be things like light, finesse, etc. In addition there are two properties which allow for a critical range to be specified and for damage to be rerolled. In the example This sword will crit on a 19 or a 20 and all damage rolls of 1 or 2 will be rerolled.

Aaron
August 14th, 2015, 10:57
In regards to the damage to Undead part, you use something like this (I think this is working in the latest build):

IFT: type(undead); DMG: 2d10 radiant

This was found in the FG Effects Wiki, at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects, under Holy Avenger examples.

Azngalahad
August 14th, 2015, 11:39
zaccaeus: thats awesome! i actually didn't know i could add properties to a sword like that. i tried looking for those on the 5e effects list but couldn't find them. do you happen to know any more weapon properties or if there is a list somewhere?

aaron: !!! wow i didn't notice that =.=. i tried entering it now but it doesn't seem to work for sword properties. it seems to work if i make a power with it, and have it to always on, but i was hoping for some way to put it on the sword itself, though this is stil awesome

Zacchaeus
August 14th, 2015, 11:54
zaccaeus: thats awesome! i actually didn't know i could add properties to a sword like that. i tried looking for those on the 5e effects list but couldn't find them. do you happen to know any more weapon properties or if there is a list somewhere?

aaron: !!! wow i didn't notice that =.=. i tried entering it now but it doesn't seem to work for sword properties. it seems to work if i make a power with it, and have it to always on, but i was hoping for some way to put it on the sword itself, though this is stil awesome

No, the only two properties that a weapon can have at the moment are the ones that I mentioned. Having said that there aren't many others that you would need.

The effects that aaron is talking about can't be placed on a weapon; effects are placed on either a PC or an NPC. These effects feed off of various rolls such as attack, damage, save etc and not off the actual weapon itself. So the effect that he mentions would be placed on the player character and as you say would always be 'on'. Such an effect would not be tied to a specific weapon. However we await the arrival of the DMG and that might herald some new ways of creating magic items when it finally appears.