PDA

View Full Version : Ability Damage and Ability Penalties

Nickademus
August 12th, 2015, 02:00
I'm encountering a bug when ability damage is applied to a character that has an effect that reduces an ability score (STR: -2 or Fatigued). The ability damage is only supposed to apply a -0.5 to the modifier of a score; in other words, 1 point of ability damage should have no effect. When the ability damage is combined with an effect that changes the score, each point of damage reduces the modifier by 1 (so 3 Str damage would add [EFFECTS -3] to the roll).

kylania
August 12th, 2015, 02:09
Which ruleset are you using?

Nickademus
August 12th, 2015, 02:13
In the game now, so I don't have a lot time. FG, no campaign, no extensions, the usual bug testing.

Trenloe
August 12th, 2015, 05:37
Ruleset?

Nickademus
August 12th, 2015, 06:01
Ack. I typed FG. I meant PF. Was trying to troubleshoot and post during the game. Blech.
Pathfinder

Nickademus
August 16th, 2015, 03:10
Recreation:
Create a clean PF campaign
Make a PC and add it to the combat tracker
Add a melee weapon to it or create a generic weapon in the Actions tab
Give the weapon damage a bonus (say +5) to avoid minimum damage adjustment for non-positive damage roll
Roll weapon damage and note bonus
Apply 1 Str damage and roll damage again (no change to bonus)
Change Str damage to 2 and roll damage (bonus 1 less as it should be)
Remove Str damage and apply the Fatigued condition to the PC
Roll weapon damage and note bonus (1 less as it should be)
Apply 1 Str damage and roll damage again (should be no change from previous roll)
Note the bonus is reduced by 1 from the Str damage
Change Str damage to 5 (should cause a bonus reduction of 2)
Roll weapon damage and note bonus (reduced by 6: 1 from the Fatigued and 5 from the total amount of Str damage)

Ability score bonus/penaly effects cause FG to use the entire ability score damage amount as the penalty instead of the ability score modifier.

Nickademus
August 21st, 2015, 12:43
Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

kylania
August 21st, 2015, 14:04
I don't play any rulesets where ability damage is common, so haven't run across this yet, sorry. :)

Moon Wizard
September 3rd, 2015, 00:07
I was finally able to get the time to dig into this. It's a remnant of 3.5E vs. PFRPG differences that only crop up with a combination of ability damage and ability bonus modifying effects (such as Fatigued). I'm scheduling for the next patch.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
September 4th, 2015, 12:39
Thank you kindly.