PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to put names on character tokens.

Awhole
August 11th, 2015, 12:23
New GM question. Is it possible to put name banners on player tokens like npc?

Mask_of_winter
August 11th, 2015, 13:28
Type it in the chat window but don't send it, drag and drop that text on the token you want to label.

Trenloe
August 11th, 2015, 13:34
What Mask mentions will create a tooltip for the text dragged to the token.

If you have the campaign option "Token: Show name" set to "Title" it will automatically set the PC name as the token title banner. You need to drag the token from the combat tracker for this to occur.

TIP: *Always* drag tokens for PCs and NPCs to the map from the combat tracker - this creates the links and references needed by Fantasy Grounds. Dragging a token directly from the character sheet or desktop portraits will create a stand-alone, unlinked token with no PC/NPC info attached.

Nickademus
August 11th, 2015, 18:52
Type it in the chat window but don't send it, drag and drop that text on the token you want to label.

I'm curious, why does everyone include this part (the bold)? I have a vague memory of it possibly being true, but for many months I've had no trouble dragging GM story text (the default if you send it to the chat window) and even story frames in a story entry to tokens. In fact, I have a couple story entries set up with a series of story frames just for dragging to tokens on the fly.

darrenan
August 11th, 2015, 19:39
Probably because the stuff you drag to tokens you normally don't want or need to show up in the chat window? But dragging text from the chat window instead of the chat entry box works just fine as well as you point out.

kylania
August 11th, 2015, 21:07
I'm curious, why does everyone include this part (the bold)?

Because the concept of typing something into a text field but not "submitting" or "entering it" and dragging the input rather than the output is completely non intuitive. It's like saying "Type your message into the edit field then drag it out of the field and drop it onto the Post Quick Reply button". That makes no sense. :)

Intuitive would be "right click on the token, select Edit... and type in what you want it to say".

darrenan
August 11th, 2015, 22:11
Well now you're talking about making FG intuitive, and that's just crazy-talk!

MadBadHare
August 11th, 2015, 22:43
Intuitive would be "right click on the token, select Edit... and type in what you want it to say".

Works for the HotKeys.. HEHE :) as I just found out - The "Non-Intuitive" way doesn't

Nickademus
August 11th, 2015, 23:22
Because the concept of typing something into a text field but not "submitting" or "entering it" and dragging the input rather than the output is completely non intuitive.

I'm not understanding your reply. Why point out something that isn't intuitive if it isn't needed? Why point it out at all if it isn't needed? Just say "Drag text from the chat window to the token."

When you drag the text from the input, the text disappears. If you submit the text to the chat window, it stays there to drag multiple times. Won't matter in most situations, but someone might care about that.

MTS
August 24th, 2015, 04:55
Because the concept of typing something into a text field but not "submitting" or "entering it" and dragging the input rather than the output is completely non intuitive. It's like saying "Type your message into the edit field then drag it out of the field and drop it onto the Post Quick Reply button". That makes no sense. :)

I *Like* intuitive... I've been trying to figure this out for weeks...