PDA

View Full Version : Managing Local Server Characters not saving

Mithreinmaethor
August 11th, 2015, 05:52
Hello. I am using a DEMO copy of Fantasy Grounds but use a friends server to create 5e Characters on.

My problem is is that no matter what I do when Managing Characters from the start screen none of what I do is saved. I can delete the characters in the Local Server list...upload new characters etc. But when I go back to the main screen or close the program, the next time I return to the Manage Characters screen none of the changes I made have been saved. I am stuck with the same characters I deleted and none of the new ones I uploaded are there.

This becomes a problem because I have to email my xml files to every DM I play with because I can not simply import the characters.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Trenloe
August 11th, 2015, 13:59
How are you accessing the Manage Characters campaign? Are you selecting 5E from the ruleset section? Or are you selecting the friends campaign you created the characters in?

Mithreinmaethor
August 11th, 2015, 14:02
Sorry I am accessing the Managing Characters from the Main Menu by choosing the 5e rule set.

I am not accessing it from the friends campaign.

Andraax
August 11th, 2015, 14:04
Connect to the server and create your characters there. Demo licenses don't allow you to save anything locally.

Mithreinmaethor
August 11th, 2015, 14:08
Connect to the server and create your characters there. Demo licenses don't allow you to save anything locally.

Actually I was messing with some things as you first replied. If I delete the characters from the local server and uploaded the new ones then leave the managing characters screen.....run UPDATE.....then go back into my managing characters for 5e it has the new character saved and the old ones gone.

I will keep trying that and see if it continues to work.

Thanks for your reply.

Trenloe
August 11th, 2015, 14:18
Demo licenses don't allow you to save anything locally.
v3.0.4 changed that over one year ago. See the release notes here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html

"Free licenses can now use Manage Characters mode, just like Player licenses."

Trenloe
August 11th, 2015, 14:21
Actually I was messing with some things as you first replied. If I delete the characters from the local server and uploaded the new ones then leave the managing characters screen.....run UPDATE.....then go back into my managing characters for 5e it has the new character saved and the old ones gone.
That's weird and I don't understand why that would make a difference.

Are you running any sync software (DropBox, One Drive, Google Drive, etc.) pointing at the FG app data directory? Or using some backup software that might be running at the time?

Also, try running FG as administrator before accessing Manage Characters. Right-click on the FG start icon and select "Run as Administrator".

Mithreinmaethor
August 11th, 2015, 14:23
That's weird and I don't understand why that would make a difference.

Are you running any sync software (DropBox, One Drive, Google Drive, etc.) pointing at the FG app data directory? Or using some backup software that might be running at the time?

Also, try running FG as administrator before accessing Manage Characters. Right-click on the FG start icon and select "Run as Administrator".

I am not running any sync software or backup software.

I am running Fantasy Grounds through Steam....should I create a Desk Top Icon of it and set it up to run as administrator?????

Mithreinmaethor
August 11th, 2015, 14:32
Ok I setup a desktop icon for Fantasy Grounds and set the properties to run it as an Administrator. Pinned it to my Start (Windows 10) and it now saves any changes I make.

Thank you very much for the idea :)

Trenloe
August 11th, 2015, 14:32
I am running Fantasy Grounds through Steam....should I create a Desk Top Icon of it and set it up to run as administrator?????
I think it's worth a try to see if file access rights is causing the issue.