PDA

View Full Version : Checking out the demo and (of course) have questions...

ePaladin
August 10th, 2015, 06:56
As stated in the title, I have downloaded the demo and I am deciding whether to get a license on this or another "virtual tabletop" system. So far I'm liking this one better, but need some questions clarified.

What I am aiming to accomplish:
1) I am running a face-to-face campaign (I am a new DM, playing with family). The other players will not be on PCs and will roll real dice, etc. I will move their tokens on the maps.
2) I am setting up a second monitor on my Laptop, on which I would like to display the players version of the map (masked, without secret doors, etc.).
3) I will likely not use the dice roller at all (for GM rolls)... have not decided yet. I just like the idea of rolling my own dice.

The questions below are due to the fact that I could not figure out how to do specific things with the Demo (so perhaps that is that is the problem... i.e. limitations of the Demo vs. a Licensed version).

Questions:
1) I found where to add characters, but how do I make them show in the upper left of the desktop so I can access them quickly?
2) How do I display the Players map window, so I can drag it to the 2nd monitor? (looked for this for quite awhile, without luck)
3) What kind of a license do I need to do what I have laid out here?

Thanks!
Michael

damned
August 10th, 2015, 07:24
Hola ePaladin.

3) The Standard Full License will do this
2) Open a second instance of FG on the same computer and connect to localhost and use a different username (important) this will open a players instance of FG and you can drag this instance on to the second monitor - players will only see what you share to them
1) On the player instance go to Characters tool and select the Characters - repeat until all the characters are selected

If you are not using any of the rolling of FG then you are going to miss most of the power of FG. There is no way (currently) to roll the dice on the real table and just enter the dice result on FG. You will still get all the great resources within FG but you will miss most of their power.

The demo isnt feature-crippled other than you cant save your campaign and can only have one player connection.

Andraax
August 10th, 2015, 14:13
If you are not using any of the rolling of FG then you are going to miss most of the power of FG. There is no way (currently) to roll the dice on the real table and just enter the dice result on FG. You will still get all the great resources within FG but you will miss most of their power.

There is a thread around here about how to create an "attack" and "damage" entry on the hotkey bar that always rolls zero, then you can enter the rolled physical result as a modifier and hit the appropriate hotkey to perform either an "attack" or a "damage" roll to take advantage of at least some of the automation.

damned
August 10th, 2015, 14:17
There is a thread around here about how to create an "attack" and "damage" entry on the hotkey bar that always rolls zero, then you can enter the rolled physical result as a modifier and hit the appropriate hotkey to perform either an "attack" or a "damage" roll to take advantage of at least some of the automation.

:) indeed there is!
I think I might have put forward a solution in that thread...
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24873-Enabling-players-to-roll-their-own-physical-dice

kylania
August 10th, 2015, 14:18
The demo isnt feature-crippled other than you cant save your campaign and can only have one player connection.

I failed to read that part when trying out the demo. You can imagine my sorrow when I came back the next day and nothing was there! :) I bought a license later that day anyway heh

damned
August 10th, 2015, 14:19
I failed to read that part when trying out the demo. You can imagine my sorrow when I came back the next day and nothing was there! :) I bought a license later that day anyway heh

you wont be the last person to do that....

ePaladin
August 11th, 2015, 04:02
Y'all have been great! Thanks for the info. I was really hoping to use the Combat tracker as well as the maps (fog of war) options. Looks like I can make it work for what I want to do. That solution for attacks/damage is pretty slick.