PDA

View Full Version : Yet another connection test failure post.

Jonbens
August 9th, 2015, 16:02
Hi...I have a cable modem, wireless router, and a bix for my vonage service coming off my computer. I think I have the wireless router looking at the right port. Do I need to do the same with my cable modem and if so how do i find its location. Also...should having a vonage box mess this up at all?

Zacchaeus
August 9th, 2015, 18:37
Everything needs to have the right port forwarding setting including your firewall. Check also that your antivirus isn't messing things up. Also once you have set a port I found that I needed to reboot my computer for it to take effect.

Griogre
August 9th, 2015, 18:38
You will have to open the ports on all the items between your computer and the Internet. I would suggest that if possible you connect your computer to the cable modem to avoid having to configure the other boxes. If your cable modem is plug and play you might not have to do anything other than connect your computer to it directly. For DM's it is best to use a wired connection if at all possible. I don't think the Vonage box should have any impact if you connect into one of the routers/modems upstream of it.

Welcome to the boards, by the way.

damned
August 10th, 2015, 00:12
Jonbens is your WiFi connected to the cable modem (or switch) via a LAN or a WAN port?
If its connected via a WAN port then you may have both the cable modem and the WiFi to configure port forwarding on.

You would do it like this -

Cable Modem - Forward tcp 1802 to the WAN IP Address of the WiFi
WiFi - Forward tcp 1802 to the IP Address of your GM computer

Jonbens
August 10th, 2015, 02:33
Jonbens is your WiFi connected to the cable modem (or switch) via a LAN or a WAN port?
If its connected via a WAN port then you may have both the cable modem and the WiFi to configure port forwarding on.

You would do it like this -

Cable Modem - Forward tcp 1802 to the WAN IP Address of the WiFi
WiFi - Forward tcp 1802 to the IP Address of your GM computer

I've disabled the Wireless router and added a port to the firewall. Still fails with the test.

damned
August 10th, 2015, 02:53
sent you a PM

johnshep
August 12th, 2015, 00:07
I am also having serious connection issues. I just bought the Ultimate version because I was hoping to host my friends and I am unable to successfully run the test. HELP PLEASE :(

damned
August 12th, 2015, 14:56
Send me a PM johnshep

Jonbens
June 10th, 2016, 03:09
I've disabled the Wireless router and added a port to the firewall. Still fails with the test.

Hi Damned. I don't know if you remember me. You walked me thru a port forward issue last year. I hope all is well Down Under. Just swapped out to a new computer and am trying to get my computer to run FG as a Game Master but having the same issues. I cant remember if I have to just port forward thru the Cable Modem or if I also have to do this thru the fire wall. Also, everything I look up isn't for windows 10, which makes for confusion. Any help would be appreciated.

Jonbens

damned
June 10th, 2016, 03:22
Hi Jonbens send m a PM or if you still have my email send me an email direct.

Jonbens
June 10th, 2016, 03:32
OK, I just emailed but wanted to send here to to make sure you got it. I'm on team viewer again if that makes a difference.

Jonathon

Galach
June 10th, 2016, 15:54
Hi
If you have two different equipment’s (one modem and one router), you will need to port forward both.
When I had this kind of setup about two years ago, I solved my problem this way:

1. Set both modem and router to use different internal IP ranges. For example, modem will be 10.1.1.x and router 192.168.1.x

2. Set you router’s IP connection with the modem. Since probably your modem address will be 10.1.1.1, you will need to set up your router to pick 10.1.1.2 from the modem, so it can connect with your internet provider.

3. In your modem, configure the port forwarding to the router’s IP, not your PC IP. So, port 1802, in your MODEM, should point to your Router (10.1.1.2).

4. In your ROUTER, you will port forward 1802 to your computer’s IP.

5. This is optional, but can save you some headaches: in your modem, assign a permanent IP to your Router – “tie” it on the DHCP server on your modem.

computertrucker
June 10th, 2016, 15:57
Hope you get it resolved. i got mine resolved using Hamachi for hosting. Now i just need someone to set up a test server to see if i can connect to someone elses game..