PDA

View Full Version : Re: "Could not initialize graphics system" error

mghauber
August 8th, 2015, 21:01
Hello all,
Wanted to share a bit of info I hope someone may find helpful. I refurbished an old Dell Inspiron D830 and upgraded to Win 64 Pro. Downloaded FG onto it so that I can use at work, away from main PC...you get the idea.
Upon launching FG, I got the common "error 16" and the "Could not initialize graphics system" error when trying to launch FG. Did some digging and found out that the nVidia video controller that is in the Dell machine is no longer supported with 64 bit drivers for Win 7, however, there were versions of Win Vista 64 bit drivers for the nVidia.
I am not computer minded, but I believe it has something to do with 3d graphics, which the stock drivers in win64 do not support. 3d was not enabled when I checked with stock drivers.
Downloaded the Vista 64 bit nVidia drivers, installed, and FG worked without a hitch.
Time will tell if this was a good idea.....hahaha
Wanted to share in case any computer stupid bums like me were having similiar problems and wanted some alternative to try. Hopefully, it will keep someone from jumping out of a 10 story window....
Regards to all!

damned
August 9th, 2015, 04:59
In most cases Vista drivers are compatible with Win7. Well done!