PDA

View Full Version : Spell attack

El Condoro
August 8th, 2015, 03:46
On the CT I have actors with a [ATK:SPELL] reference. When I double-click that, an attack roll is made, however, no spell attack bonus (+4 in this case) is being added. How do I get it to recognise the spell bonus? If it is coming from the specific wording of the "Spellcasting" feature, what is the wording? I had a look at the effects wiki but there is no reference to this SPELL attack. Thanks.

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2015, 12:56
As far as I know there is no SPELL keyword in 5e. It may be something to do with CoreRPG or from somewhere else but not from 5e. And even if it does it will do nothing since ehe spell attack bonus comes from the spell casting stat not from the spellcasting ability.

El Condoro
August 8th, 2015, 14:25
I think it must be a generic reference when spells are included in an NPC's sheet and then dragged onto the CT. Fire Bolt appears as: Fire bolt [R] [ATK: SPELL] [DMG: 1d10 fire].
I was hoping the SPELL was a reference to something that came from a stat. It can be changed manually, of course (to ATK:+4 in this case).

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2015, 16:08
I think it must be a generic reference when spells are included in an NPC's sheet and then dragged onto the CT. Fire Bolt appears as: Fire bolt [R] [ATK: SPELL] [DMG: 1d10 fire].
I was hoping the SPELL was a reference to something that came from a stat. It can be changed manually, of course (to ATK:+4 in this case).

I'm not seeing this. For example I have just dragged a mage NPC onto the CT and the Fire Bolt is shown as follows Fire bolt - cantrip (at will) [R] [ATK: +6] [DMG: 1d10 fire]

All of the other spells that have an attack are designated the same. I'm not sure what's causing your problem, but it does seem like you have an issue with something.
Can you describe in more detail what you are doing to get the NPC onto the Combat Tracker?

kylania
August 8th, 2015, 16:09
What NPC from what source are you looking at El Condoro?

El Condoro
August 8th, 2015, 23:48
I'll check all my settings, versions, etc. a bit later but I created the NPC record, dragged the Fire Bolt spell onto the sheet and then dragged the NPC onto the CT. The spell is from my parsed library but the NPC is from scratch.

El Condoro
August 8th, 2015, 23:56
I'm not seeing this. For example I have just dragged a mage NPC onto the CT and the Fire Bolt is shown as follows Fire bolt - cantrip (at will) [R] [ATK: +6] [DMG: 1d10 fire]

All of the other spells that have an attack are designated the same. I'm not sure what's causing your problem, but it does seem like you have an issue with something.
Can you describe in more detail what you are doing to get the NPC onto the Combat Tracker?

Where does the CT get this info from? I mean, how does it "know" which ability modifier to use for which class on the NPC sheet? The mage NPC for example, uses Int as its ability and there are modifiers applied but from where does FG draw this info on the sheet?

El Condoro
August 9th, 2015, 00:04
Would someone mind posting a screen shot of an NPC sheet that works with spellcasting, please?

kylania
August 9th, 2015, 00:16
You have to manually add it to the spell description on the NPCs Spell list.

https://i.imgur.com/tmrrAKO.jpg

So I just dragged the Scorching Ray spell from the Library spell list onto the NPC panel and it added that whole description to the actions section. Then I manually added (+11 to hit) after the ranged spell attack keyword and it added that feature. So you can click on the blue highlighted area there or from the CT and it'll add in your to-hit mod. You know it's working if the blue highlight of ranged spell attack extends to include your to hit addition.

Here you can see more:

https://i.imgur.com/4V3eO8V.jpg

El Condoro
August 9th, 2015, 00:18
That's the key. Thanks.

Trenloe
August 9th, 2015, 00:19
Where does the CT get this info from? I mean, how does it "know" which ability modifier to use for which class on the NPC sheet? The mage NPC for example, uses Int as its ability and there are modifiers applied but from where does FG draw this info on the sheet?
It parses the text of the spell description - both in the spell itself (you can double click on the parsed sections) and when the NPC is added to the combat tracker.

For example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/5E/NPC%20Spell%20Parse.jpg

"Make a ranged spell attack..." parses into Fire Bolt [R][ATK: SPELL]
"On a hit, the target takes 1d10 fire damage" parses into [DMG:1d10 fire]

As kylania says above - you need to either change the description to have the attack modifier before adding to the Combat Tracker, or modify [ATK: SPELL] to be [ATL: +11] (for example) once in the combat tracker.

El Condoro
August 9th, 2015, 00:25
I wonder if "Spellcasting. The archmage is an 18th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks)." could be used to parse SPELL as ATK: +9 (in this case)?

kylania
August 9th, 2015, 00:29
I wonder if "Spellcasting. The archmage is an 18th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks)." could be used to parse SPELL as ATK: +9 (in this case)?

Tried that first, it didn't do anything for me. ;)

Trenloe
August 9th, 2015, 00:32
Each spell/power is parsed in isolation.