PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Display Problem

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2015, 00:20
Hoping some of you can help me out. I'm trying to hook to a TV I have from my laptop as a second display, but it doesn't work.
Laptop: Dell XPS L702X, Win 7, Intel HD 3000 graphics and NVIDIA GeForce 550M
TV: Element, 50" LCD

I've got HDMI on both and when I use this laptop, I get no signal. The TV does not see the laptop, and the laptop does not see the TV. I've tried other laptops with the TV and they work fine (both a Mac and a HP win 8). I've used the Dell with other monitors and it works there.

Any idea how I can get this laptop to work with this TV?

I'm wondering if it has to do with the dual graphics adapters, but I don't know how to control those.

Thanks,

Trenloe
August 8th, 2015, 02:15
Have you enabled presentation mode on the laptop? Most laptops have a FN key or similar that enables connection to another monitor.

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2015, 02:34
Yep, I've tried both extending and duplicating the display in projector mode.

kylania
August 8th, 2015, 02:51
Yep, I've tried both extending and duplicating the display in projector mode.

This is a physical key on the keyboard. Fn+F7 or something. Usually a white/black monitor looking key (https://www.onlinelanguageresources.com/ckfinder/userfiles/images/f8_key.jpg).

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2015, 04:48
Yep, that's not the problem. I promise. I've been hooking numerous different laptops to numerous different displays for years. This is something with this laptop and this TV not liking each other. On this laptop its actually Fn+F1 but its unresponsive.

For instance, If I hook to a dell external monitor, it works. Even if I don't export the display if I go into the graphics control panel, the control panel sees the external display and I can export from there. But, if I hook to this TV, the control panel doesn't see the TV. now, if I take a different laptop and hook it to this TV (same HDMI cable, same port) they see each other no problem.

I'm sure in part it's because this is a cheap TV, but since it works with other laptops, I know that's not the complete reason.

Moon Wizard
August 8th, 2015, 05:27
I don't have any ideas other than checking the specs on the HDMI spec on TV, laptop and cables. Perhaps an HDMI version incompatibility?

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
August 8th, 2015, 05:36
Try changing the resolution on the laptop?