PDA

View Full Version : Any Interest in Rolemaster?

hawkwind
August 5th, 2015, 12:16
My current Pathfinder campaign is coming to an end and i fancy a change. I propose to run a Rolemaster version of "The Lost Mine of Phandelver " which is the starter mini campaign for DnD 5e. I alr4ady have all the maps and handouts so prep time for me should minimal. I propose to run the game sessions every monday night starting at 8pm London UK local time for about two to three hours each session, the campaign should start in September. new and experienced players are equally welcome and i will have some pre gens readyhe the thought of building a new rolemaster character is intimidating but be wrned i haven't played or run Rolemaster in twenty years.......

Mask_of_winter
August 5th, 2015, 13:38
i haven't played or run Rolemaster in twenty years.......

I salute you!

From what I heard and the time I spent checking out the ruleset, Dakadin did a great job with the ruleset that speeds up gameplay.

Good luck to you.

Cheers!

jshauber
August 6th, 2015, 05:32
I agree with Masked, the Role Master set really lends itself to FG as all the tables are built in and saves a ton of time looking things up.

I would love to play but I doubt the company will let me take off a couple hours on Monday afternoons.

Good luck running it and I am sure you and your players will have a great time.

Werd
August 6th, 2015, 06:15
I'm down. What source materials are kosher if we want to create our own character?

hawkwind
August 6th, 2015, 08:38
erd;225155]I'm down. What source materials are kosher if we want to create our own character?[/QUOTE]

Welcome aboard, I don't have any home made modules for any of the companions so if you want to play a spellcaster that isn't in spell Law you will have to provide your own modules for the spell lists

Chris_Seal
August 6th, 2015, 10:13
Hi Hawkwind,

I would be interested in joining you. Are you planning on using RMC, RMFRP or the RMU Beta? I'm also happy to help chargen if you would like.

Cheers
Chris

hawkwind
August 6th, 2015, 11:04
RMC and pretty much vanilla unless someone wants to bring some additional modules to the party

hawkwind
August 6th, 2015, 11:08
I have one player already and it looks like we have two more with Chris and Werd so we need just one more for a viable party

JohnD
August 6th, 2015, 21:59
Man, I'd be in if the time zone differences were not so great and if life wasn't kicking me in the *** as well. Good luck!

hawkwind
August 8th, 2015, 08:12
its a shame surely there must be some euro rolemaster players out there. I posted on the Iron crown forums and haven't had a single reply!

Honken
August 8th, 2015, 14:22
I thought I would just post in here to say that I would be interested in Rolemaster, though at the moment I have too many other commitments.

/H

Andraax
August 8th, 2015, 14:37
I sent a link to this forum to a friend in Wales who indicated she might be interested, so you may have another player there.

hawkwind
August 8th, 2015, 19:44
thanks mate

hawkwind
August 11th, 2015, 22:45
I have another potential player interested from the Iron crown forums called Terry Amthor of Shadow world fame. i will post some stuff on Character generstion in the next few days

Honken
August 12th, 2015, 07:35
Cool! How about trying to record it and share it?

/H

hawkwind
August 13th, 2015, 15:14
if the other players don't mind I could put it on Youtube

Anyway take a look at these 5e pregens https://media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/StarterSet_Characters.pdf

ignore all the stat bits and go to the second page of each sheet and have a look at the section on each character labeled "Background" it would help for the campaign if you plagarise or copy for your Rolemaster first level character so that you fit the events of the campaign better. I won't be using the Rolemasrer XP system as it doesn't suit the pace of character development needed to match the material in the campaign so initially expect to get to level 3 very quickly. As for optional rules i propose to use backgrounds and secondary skills from the 25% bonus ( the default in fantasy grounds) I'm open to suggestions as to what other options avialable to use from the rolemaster classic books

JohnD
August 13th, 2015, 15:31
More options means your game plays more like RMSS which is good depending on your point of view.

Chris_Seal
August 13th, 2015, 15:57
Hi All,

I am happy to share on Youtube, indeed it is something that I have been thinking about doing myself so would be interested to hear how it goes.

My preference would be to play the Elven Wizard, but I am also happy to play any of the others, should someone else be especially keen to play the mage. Second choice would be the Dwarven Cleric.

Hawkwind - would you like us to generate a character in local mode or will you provide pregens?

Cheers
Chris

craggles
August 13th, 2015, 17:08
I'm interested in joining but health may prohibit me from taking part in every session.

If that's not going to be a problem, I'm in! :)
...but I understand if it is.

PS - A Human Fighter is good for me.

Thanks.
Craig

hawkwind
August 13th, 2015, 23:05
Once we have decided on character building options like hobbies how we deal with power point development etc I am happy to let you build your own, just share with everyone what you intend to build. I have a friend who wants to play who isn't very familiar with RMC compared with RMSS/FRG who might need a helping hand
with building a character in Fantasy Grounds.

Werd
August 13th, 2015, 23:10
Are all/some/none of the races and professions from the companions ok to build from? Referring to these https://rpggeek.com/rpgseries/253/rolemaster-companion.

hawkwind
August 13th, 2015, 23:21
If you have fg modules for them yes other wise it will depend,non spell users should be alright, spell casters would be a bit more difficult if they depend on critical tables not found in Fantasy grounds

craggles
August 14th, 2015, 03:20
I don't have the new Companion but have a hard copy of the original book (as well as Companions 2-4). Are there any professions in the original companion that aren't in the new version?

If so, I'm toying with the idea of a High Warrior Monk or a Night Blade if they'd fit into your world.

If we're only using the core professions then my preference would be a Thief, a Rogue or a Fighter (in that order). My character would preferably favour a bow most of the time but also a knife for close quarters and stealth.

For Race, I'd like to go for an Elf or Human (or a combination of both). :)

hawkwind
August 14th, 2015, 07:54
I don't have the new Companion but have a hard copy of the original book (as well as Companions 2-4). Are there any professions in the original companion that aren't in the new version?

If so, I'm toying with the idea of a High Warrior Monk or a Night Blade if they'd fit into your world.

If we're only using the core professions then my preference would be a Thief, a Rogue or a Fighter (in that order). My character would preferably favour a bow most of the time but also a knife for close quarters and stealth.

For Race, I'd like to go for an Elf or Human (or a combination of both). :)

there is a human fighter who uses in the bow whose background. No worries if you want to play him as a rogue or a fighter or even a ranger

craggles
August 14th, 2015, 09:10
A human bowman rogue sounds ideal thanks :)

(He's the last one on your character sheets yes?)

Werd
August 15th, 2015, 06:14
I plan on playing some sort of spell user/mentalist. I'll copy the pregen wizards background.

edit: oh just remembered Chris was interested in playing the wizard. Would it be cool if we had two caster type guys?

Chris_Seal
August 15th, 2015, 07:14
Hey Werd,

You take the mage, I'm happy to play another character. My second choice would be the Dwarven cleric.

Cheers
Chris

hawkwind
August 15th, 2015, 10:42
Great a tpk is just around the corner if you have a party of squishy first level spell casters!

JohnD
August 17th, 2015, 01:17
Great a tpk is just around the corner if you have a party of squishy first level spell casters!

The way Rolemaster goes, it could be a TPK regardless! :)

Hope you guys keep updating here how the conversion goes. Way back when I did The Village of Hommlet in RMSS and I think it was the most fun I've had as a GM, including the heavily armoured fighter falling through rotten planks into a moat and fail his swim check to drown at the murky bottom.

hawkwind
August 18th, 2015, 09:02
I'm on holiday in Wales at the moment so my internet is a bit poor. We need to focus on what optional character building rules to use. If I don't have any suggestions by the 24th I willl post mine.

Chris_Seal
August 20th, 2015, 09:17
Hi All,

As Hawkwind mentioned, I would like to nominate the additional DP for secondary skills.

As a spell caster I also feel obligated to mention something about PPs :). My preference would be to use PP Development as a skill. Other than that, I am happy with the rules as written.

Cheers
Chris

jupistar
August 22nd, 2015, 17:09
Hi All,

As Hawkwind mentioned, I would like to nominate the additional DP for secondary skills.

As a spell caster I also feel obligated to mention something about PPs :). My preference would be to use PP Development as a skill. Other than that, I am happy with the rules as written.

Cheers
Chris

How long will each session run?

Werd
August 23rd, 2015, 06:37
How about the stat bonus to spell gain rolls option?

daboking
August 24th, 2015, 04:13
OMG I would LOVE to be a part of this, even if it is just to join as a viewer if the party is full. I have played Rolemaster for over 30 years!!! I am new to FG, and wanting to try my hands at GMing, and I figure the best way to learn is to jump in and watch others do it. When will the sessions be played? I can stick to the core materials if need be... was thinking perhaps a bard, if room is still available?

Also, will the chat window be used for communication, or some online form of communication like teamspeak? or google hangouts?

hawkwind
August 25th, 2015, 07:43
Hi I'm back from my holiday so I can get back to game prep. No n problems with any of the rule options proposed and I would like to suggest using the extra effort over casting rules.
Dabooking we plan to play for a few hours on Monday evenings UK time using the teamspeak server in my signature. I have an ultimate Fantasy Grounds licence and you are welcome to play. Please check up thread for character back ground suggestions

Seljuk
August 25th, 2015, 11:23
Hi. I am the friend that Hawkwind mentioned. Very familiar with RMSS and RFRP but never played RMC. I don't really mind what I play but I have an aversion to playing Rogues and Bards. It looks like I should play one of the fighters?

daboking
August 25th, 2015, 13:34
That sounds awesome, unfortunately Monday evenings UK time will be business hours for me... so I will not be able to join, but I hope your game goes amazing, and maybe... In future, if schedules allow, I would to try to join. Thx :)

hawkwind
August 26th, 2015, 21:06
thats a shame

hawkwind
September 1st, 2015, 08:29
Character generation session this Monday 8pm bst, I'll put up a calendar entry later

hawkwind
September 1st, 2015, 17:47
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1603

hawkwind
September 2nd, 2015, 11:25
oh an the character generation side I'm happy for player chgaracters to have hobby ranks

Elysine
September 5th, 2015, 13:48
Hey everyone,
I got here via the Ironcrown website. I'm looking forward to joining this campaign. From the discussion so far, I presume, some beefier character could be helpful? Not my usual type of character (I'm in love with the spell lists of Rolemaster...) , but I'm happy to go for it for a change.

hawkwind
September 6th, 2015, 20:30
ok see you on monday, i will be trying to use the cm.fg-con.com Teamspeak server first, welcome aboard Elysine!

GenSmicer
September 6th, 2015, 20:56
its a shame surely there must be some euro rolemaster players out there. I posted on the Iron crown forums and haven't had a single reply!

WEll I would try it as an euro player, but I work a bit odd times, and when I do have time I have to be up at 5 the next day. And you start at 20:00, which is 21:00 for me, then ending around midnight probably :p. Would kill my sleep for rest of the week probably :p.

Although it says short campaign, so how many sessions would that be? :p

hawkwind
September 6th, 2015, 21:18
Well the sessions will be between two and three hours long, as for the number of sessions that's a bit harder to estimate as I have never run Rolemaster before on FG but if I was running it in 5e or Pathfinder I would say ten plus sessions

GenSmicer
September 6th, 2015, 21:23
Hmm, well I'd miss quite some sessions then, at least 2 for sure, and a possible 2 more sessions I could miss. So think it would be better not to try that :p.

hawkwind
September 7th, 2015, 10:03
never mind perhaps some other time

hawkwind
September 7th, 2015, 18:44
The server is up I will be online around eight pm local time. Feel free to start building characters without me

craggles
September 8th, 2015, 00:14
I recall that an item doesn't affect your Encumbrance if it's something that you're wearing. Is this true of RMC? Does a backpack and/or weapons count as something you're wearing?

Also, do we un-check the Encumbrance box for items that our horse would be carrying or items in our backpacks that we'd drop before engaging in combat?

What pricing should we use for buying the equipment? Rural/Town/City etc?

hawkwind
September 8th, 2015, 08:25
I have moved all discussion for this game to the rolemaster forum now that we have actually started play

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25920-Forgotten-Realms-Lost-Mine-Campaign&p=229676#post229676