PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Issue I had Might be related to a Static IP

Larac
August 5th, 2015, 03:21
Hey all,

This is a heads up, as I did not go back multiple times to be sure.

The WIN 10 install worked great on my laptop, but this happened on the desktop.

The laptop was used for player only, and as I said has been working fine on Preview for the last month.

On the Desktop, which I GM from, I had an issue, so I thought I would let folks know.

This may not be an issue for everyone, but if doing the Upgrade this a quick way to make sure the Network error does not occur.

There is a known issue with some VPN software and Win 10 install, that messes up the network.
I had no VPN installed, but still had the same issue occur.
I think it may have been caused by having a Static IP set.

This was the upgrade not a clean install.

Static IPs are not used very much and I can see if the VPN caused issues one might as well.
Once Upgraded the Network Adapter would not connect at all.
This is what folks who have VPNs were seeing.

There may have been another issue, but as it is easy to do thought I would bring it up as a way to make sure it does not cause a problem for others.

I rolled back the install, which was a click and a Yes I want to roll it back, and then set it back up to install Win 10 again, it downloaded the files, and was ready to go.

BEFORE I started it the second time, I deleted the Network adapter using Device Mangler.
Settings- Control Panel- Hardware- Device Manager
Network Adapter

Then did the Win 10 Upgrade, it completed with no issues and all is working fine.

Your mileage may vary.
Just trying to save folks a little grief.

Overall the Upgrade seems to be working well, the machine seems a bit faster after it.

Mirloc
August 5th, 2015, 09:46
I've been using Windows 10 with FG for several months now and haven't noticed this at all - on the other hand I've never had a static IP address either.

I did notice that now and then I lose a specific character like "L", so an entry on Spells looks like "Spe s"- I am highly confident it's a display driver acting up on my laptop which uses an ATI card - not my favorite, I prefer NVidia but the price was right so I try not to complain. ;)