PDA

View Full Version : Local and Online Players in the same group

Gegolian
August 4th, 2015, 23:46
I bought the Ultimate license and will soon start getting my group put into the system. When talking to my group, of which there are 8 players, I realized that a couple of the local players do not have laptops that they could bring to the gaming session. We all like to gather at one house to play. So what are my options? Lets say I have 4 local players and 4 online players. Not all the local players have a computer they can play on. I know its possible to have one GM client and one Player client open on the same machine, but can multiple characters be run from one Player client? I am hoping we can run the local characters from one monitor that they all can see, while I run the GM client on a different monitor. Or maybe just put up a map on one monitor for the local players and they can continue with pencil and paper. Any thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Gegolian

Griogre
August 5th, 2015, 00:16
One client can run multiple characters. In your case it would probably be easier to put all the local players on a different computer(s) than the GM so you don't have to share the mouse and keyboard. The players would then just hot seat on the client(s). Some people use a wireless mouse and keyboard and just pass it around.

Your other idea is viable too. Just start a second instance and then show them the player map on a second monitor and let them play with paper and dice. It is a bit of a hassle to get their damage in for the DM.

I'd suggest you try both and find out which ever works best for you.

PS: Welcome to the boards. :)

ddaley
August 5th, 2015, 03:58
I bought the Ultimate license and will soon start getting my group put into the system. When talking to my group, of which there are 8 players, I realized that a couple of the local players do not have laptops that they could bring to the gaming session. We all like to gather at one house to play. So what are my options? Lets say I have 4 local players and 4 online players. Not all the local players have a computer they can play on. I know its possible to have one GM client and one Player client open on the same machine, but can multiple characters be run from one Player client? I am hoping we can run the local characters from one monitor that they all can see, while I run the GM client on a different monitor. Or maybe just put up a map on one monitor for the local players and they can continue with pencil and paper. Any thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Gegolian

Yes, you can control multiple PCs from one player client. We play "at the table" and use a combination of miniatures on a flip mat and a FG client running on a machine with all characters controlled from that. I actually control that FG instance too, and move the characters to reflect where they are on the table top. I use the fog of war and expose the map as the party explores.

My group prefers the pen and paper, but they like that I can show the map on the monitor and they don't have to worry about mapping. I use some of the tools to keep track of combat and order of watches etc.

Gegolian
August 5th, 2015, 05:33
Thank you both for the suggestions!

Nyghtmare
August 6th, 2015, 19:40
I run a second copy of Fantasy Grounds for my NPCs, of which I have 2 in one of my campaigns to have the correct party side for the adventure.

From that one instance of the software, I can run both of the NPCs — I just select which one I am using by clicking on the appropriate portrait in the upper lefthand corner of the screen. :)

Griogre
August 6th, 2015, 19:51
If there is nothing secret on the NPCs you can just have a player open the NPC for you and that will save the DM from having to run a second instance of FG. The DM can then just open the NPC's character sheet on the server. Doing it this way give you the convenient portrait on the top left of the FG desktop to drag and drop damage and attacks to without having to fiddle with a second FG desktop. I use to do this to run PCs too when a player can't make a game but these days (my groups have been together a long time) I just have the other players roll off to see who get stuck running the PC - low roll "winning" of course. ;)

Nyghtmare
August 6th, 2015, 20:35
I just have the other players roll off to see who get stuck running the PC - low roll "winning" of course. ;)

So a critical fail wins, huh? ;)

Xorn
August 10th, 2015, 18:11
Damage & Heals are a cinch. Make a dummy character as the GM (take ownership with a localhost account so it's not in the list of characters) and on this character add two effects to teh Actions tab: A heal for 0 and a damage for 0. Put those two powers on your hotkeys, and then when a player says, "i did 12 damage" just type 12 in the mod stack and drag/drop the damage/heal onto the target.