PDA

View Full Version : FG Con 7 - Random discussion thread

Trenloe
August 4th, 2015, 03:06
FG Con 7 will run Friday 16th - Sunday 18th October 2015. More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25465-FG-Con-7-October-16th-18th-2015

This thread is for random discussions related to FG Con 7 - genre's/system to run, etc..

-----------------------------

I was thinking of running a CoC game at FG Con 7 this year. In fact, I was going to run all horror genre games as it's close to Halloween...

Mask_of_winter
August 4th, 2015, 03:29
Cool. I was thinking of running a CoC game at FG Con 7 this year. In fact, I was going to run all horror genre games as it's close to Halloween...
Same here for the horror theme. Maybe we could encourage GMs to run games with that theme in some way.

damned
August 4th, 2015, 04:40
i was thinking of running a 3 part Trail of Cthulhu session... but Im not sure I can find a suitable time slot across three days that I can do and enough players can do... hmmm... how to get it down to 2 sessions...

Mask_of_winter
August 4th, 2015, 06:26
If you're gonna run some Trail I'll run something else to add more variety to the selection. I highly recommend The Murderer of Thomas Fell. I ran it last con and it was fun. It all fit perfectly in a 4hrs time slot. Ritual Pursuits is much shorter if your leash is short and could fit as a 1hour demo.

Trenloe
August 4th, 2015, 06:27
I highly recommend The Murderer of Thomas Fell. I ran it last con and it was fun.
One of the players went mad - it's usually just the PCs. ;)

leozelig
August 4th, 2015, 11:10
Cool. I was thinking of running a CoC game at FG Con 7 this year. In fact, I was going to run all horror genre games as it's close to Halloween...

Great idea, I will try to find something horror-related to run, even if it's not CoC.

damned
August 4th, 2015, 13:08
Great idea, I will try to find something horror-related to run, even if it's not CoC.

For sure - there are plenty of great systems that can run horror. It would be boring if we all ran Cthulhu!

Mask_of_winter
August 4th, 2015, 13:28

You could run a funnel of horror with DCC.

Trenloe
August 4th, 2015, 16:21
I'm going to run a horror scenario using Star Wars: Edge of the Empire.

Also some Pathfinder, probably AaW Games A Frightful Time (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=AAWBASIC2).

And maybe some CoC - something from Cubicle 7's very polished Cthulhu Britannica: London (https://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/cthulhu-britannica/cthulhu-britannica-london-boxed-set/) set.

Nylanfs
August 4th, 2015, 23:12
Maybe a twisted Ponyfinder game? Where you have to kill the soul sucking Ponies?

leozelig
August 5th, 2015, 01:59
You could run a funnel of horror with DCC.

That almost sounds like a real thing. :)

I have a couple horror-themed DCC adventures in mind. I have steered away from funnels for FG Con in the past, but there is a new one out that I just might have to try!

Daedalus
August 19th, 2015, 19:54
Maybe I should run my Savage Worlds- Scooby Doo Unleashed- The Mystery of the Haunted Mansion then. Would be the perfect setting for it

Trenloe
August 19th, 2015, 21:19
Maybe I should run my Savage Worlds- Scooby Doo Unleashed- The Mystery of the Haunted Mansion then. Would be the perfect setting for it
Sure would be.

Rooby Rack!

Daedalus
August 19th, 2015, 21:48
Sure would be.

Rooby Rack!

I may very well do that. I have the campaign written up with a lot of good information and I think it would be a lot of fun

borusa32
August 29th, 2015, 07:01
My plans s for this FG Con would be a Cthulhu Invictus scenario, a Cthulhu Dark Ages Viking or Acthung Cthulhu scenario

Morgentaler
August 29th, 2015, 07:17
Having run 2 FgDayz so far..and seeing the post about GM registration something something? Someone care to explain procedure to me..so I can get a head start for once..on what to run. As by the sounds of it..a murder mysterie house of horros dungeon could be interesting...

Mask_of_winter
August 29th, 2015, 07:25
Event submission and event registration hasn't started yet. FGCon will take place October 16th through 18th. More details will be released shortly. In the meantime you can still start prepping. Thank you!

damned
August 29th, 2015, 09:34
Yeah - some updates to the website happening this week. We will announce GM registrations beginning sometime late next week. Looking forward to your participation Morgantaler :pirate:

Wazoodust
August 29th, 2015, 18:08
I wouldn't mind running something for 5E at FG/Con, but currrently lack the skill to create a one shot, and doubt I have time to learn it and create one. Is there anywhere that someone has built a one shot for sale that I could run. This could be something that might sell in the store as I have had several instances where people just get together here or on TS and want to run something quick for a couple hours. A small collection with pregens would be awesome ( I know I'm pushing it here ). Just my idea that could also help players and DM's get more familiar with things and possibly create some DM's as they get comfortable with running FG

Mask_of_winter
August 29th, 2015, 21:27
Wazoo, check out Bandit's Nest on drivethrurpg. It's a well made short scenario available as a pay what you want. There's also Wrath of the Kobolds. Perfect scenarios for a one-shot.
Even though it's more fun to have an adventure come to it's conclusion it's difficult to predict the outcome. For this reason it's also perfectly acceptable to demo a larger module like LmoP by running the first few scenes. Many groups are born in this manner actually.

Wazoodust
August 29th, 2015, 23:08
I was looking for something you could download, read and run was more of what I had on mind. I don't mind paying a bit for it simply because I lack the ability and time right now to learn create one

Mask_of_winter
August 29th, 2015, 23:19
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/147031/Bandits-Nest-Level-1-PCs

Trenloe
August 29th, 2015, 23:41
I was looking for something you could download, read and run was more of what I had on mind. I don't mind paying a bit for it simply because I lack the ability and time right now to learn create one
As Mask mentions, that scenario is a qood one for a one-shot. It's not in FG format, but won't take much to get the base stuff you need to run this in FG - assuming that you're running with voice.

The scenario comes with a player safe map (it's a large .PNG file, you'll need to convert it to JPG and make sure the size is below 1mb - loading into GIMP and exporting to JPG at 75% quality gives a 762kb file which is OK).
Most of the monsters in the scenario are from the Monster Manual. So if you already have the FG Monster Manual you can use these as-is. There are only three custom NPCs that shouldn't take more than a few minutes to copy/paste from the PDF.

So - you have your map. You have your NPCs. Create some encounters with the NPCs (and tokens if needed) and put a link to those on the map at the relevant location.

That's all you really need... You're now ready to run your scenario on FG, referencing the PDF for story, events, etc..

damned
August 30th, 2015, 02:45
I wouldn't mind running something for 5E at FG/Con, but currrently lack the skill to create a one shot, and doubt I have time to learn it and create one. Is there anywhere that someone has built a one shot for sale that I could run. This could be something that might sell in the store as I have had several instances where people just get together here or on TS and want to run something quick for a couple hours. A small collection with pregens would be awesome ( I know I'm pushing it here ). Just my idea that could also help players and DM's get more familiar with things and possibly create some DM's as they get comfortable with running FG

Hey Wazoodust I replied to a similar post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25686-Newer-ish-Player-looking-for-Weekday-DnD5e-Game&p=228390&viewfull=1#post228390

Mask_Of_Winter is very good at building a 3 encounter one shot often with a twist.

Wazoodust
August 30th, 2015, 18:15
Looks like I may have to get my feet a little wetter sooner than I intended !
Now to wake up that brain cell that does ideas ans reintroduce it to the other 5 that are awake

Trenloe
August 30th, 2015, 18:45
Getting ready for some spooky horror at FG Con 7: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25794-Working-on-a-CoC-conversion-map-preview

damned
August 30th, 2015, 23:23
Looks like I may have to get my feet a little wetter sooner than I intended !
Now to wake up that brain cell that does ideas ans reintroduce it to the other 5 that are awake

If you stick to only 3 or 4 encounters and a fairly linear plot line you dont have to over think it too much. Try to add something other than straight hack and slash though to keep the players thinking and engaged. Some clues to find, some trap to avoid, some betrayal. You only have to aim to keep them busy for 3 hours so give it a go :)

Mask_of_winter
August 31st, 2015, 00:45
If I may, here are a few tips for building exciting one-shot/convention format games.

Start in media res. This means "in the middle of things". Tell the players their characters were on the way to the macguffin (plot device, objective) and were attacked by brigands who were really interested in the map they have. Run the combat. Yes, start with action. You only have a couple hours. Nothing puts players in the zone more than rolling dice and having to make life saving choices. Once the battle or action scene is over explain to them how they met this dude who gave them a mission, what the mission is and how fat the purse he gave you is. Maybe their character wouldn't have taken the mission or have questions? Oh please, they're here to play D&D, of course their character took the mission. If they have questions, let them ask one question each, answer truthfully and move on.

Plan for 3 hours of game-play for a 4 hours session. I understand it's hard to know how long something will take. It depends on the rule system, the number of players and many other factors. It usually takes longer than anticipated to run something. Keep an optional scene in your back pocket just in case.

Pick three locations and find or make a map for each. Pick interesting locations with fun features like trees to climb, alcoves for cover, siege weapons to play with, well with a bad habit of spawning tentacles, ruined buildings, columns or statues that can be toppled over, carts full of hay you can jump down on, etc.

Keep it simple. There's no room for clever and intricate stories here. You have 3 or 4 hours remember?

Keep the players on track. When things stall remind them of their objectives and ask them questions. "Where were you going next again?" If they still stall trying to come up with a course of action where they expect the least trouble (boring) have the opposition come to them or spawn a random encounters. RPGs without action/drama are boring and with only 4 hours there shouldn't be any time wasted on making elaborate plans.

I could go on and on but this should give you some direction. I don't know how experienced a GM you are either. Designing a fun adventure suited for a 4 hours time slot is challenging. The more you run the better at it you get. Campaigns are rewarding but once you've run a successful one-shot game you'll find it exhilarating.

If any of you need help designing their one-shot I'm happy to help. You know where to find me. ;)

Wazoodust
August 31st, 2015, 00:49
I just may take you up on that in a week or so, I've got my first LMoP to run Tues and 2nd AL encounters at the store Wed. I'm sure I'll be more comfortable after I get that under my belt.

Drazulfel
September 8th, 2015, 03:02
I've been itching to run Escape from Mos Shuuta for a group of EotE newbies, but I'm iffy about being able to do 7 encounters in 4 hours. On the one hand, as a learning adventure, it's intentionally brief & linear. I think an experienced group of gamers could pull it off in 4 hours without too much trouble. But since it's designed for new players... therein lies my conundrum. Any thoughts on this from folks who may have played through it?

Trenloe
September 8th, 2015, 03:17
I've been itching to run Escape from Mos Shuuta for a group of EotE newbies, but I'm iffy about being able to do 7 encounters in 4 hours. On the one hand, as a learning adventure, it's intentionally brief & linear. I think an experienced group of gamers could pull it off in 4 hours without too much trouble. But since it's designed for new players... therein lies my conundrum. Any thoughts on this from folks who may have played through it?
You probably won't run the whole thing in 4 hours. I've ran it a few times and have just dropped some of the ending encounters based off how much time we had left. You could also remove encounter 4 (depending on how the players approach this it can take a while) if you want to try to do more of the end game (encounters 6 and 7). I've dropped the droids from encounter 6 before, or just removed the whole encounter if there wasn't much time left. You can basically remove/modify any one encounters 4, 5, 6, or 7 quite easily.

Be flexible in terms of dropping/modifying encounters. Also keep an eye on the clock and make sure things move along OK and be aware of where your stop time is - this is especially important at a convention as the players may have booked onto another event starting around the same time when yours is due to end.

Drazulfel
September 8th, 2015, 04:05
You probably won't run the whole thing in 4 hours. I've ran it a few times and have just dropped some of the ending encounters based off how much time we had left. You could also remove encounter 4 (depending on how the players approach this it can take a while) if you want to try to do more of the end game (encounters 6 and 7). I've dropped the droids from encounter 6 before, or just removed the whole encounter if there wasn't much time left. You can basically remove/modify any one encounters 4, 5, 6, or 7 quite easily.

Be flexible in terms of dropping/modifying encounters. Also keep an eye on the clock and make sure things move along OK and be aware of where your stop time is - this is especially important at a convention as the players may have booked onto another event starting around the same time when yours is due to end.

Thanks. If it turns out to be too much to run as a GM, I'll have a good weekend as a player. :)

Fizban
September 11th, 2015, 14:00
How about a survival horror along the lines of a typical sci fi marines theme.

Aliens, Starship Troopers, etc.

20 players, one GM that doesn't hold back.

Did something similar before (not with fantasy grounds though) and it was really fun.

leozelig
September 12th, 2015, 12:26
Is the site open to register games yet?

damned
September 12th, 2015, 14:00
Is the site open to register games yet?

Sorry leozelig still tying down the TZ stuff. Real. Soon. Now. Will email you direct as soon as it is!

leozelig
September 14th, 2015, 00:18
Thanks! We all know the time zones need to be working. No word yet on the Goodman Games Halloween module either, so no big deal...

Daedalus
September 26th, 2015, 18:51
Is everyone being upgraded to Ultimate for FG Con? The reason I ask is because I want to be able to mention that when I post my game in other places. If people don't have to buy FG to play it will be helpful (though I am considering upgrading to ultimate anyhow).

Trenloe
September 26th, 2015, 18:59
Is everyone being upgraded to Ultimate for FG Con? The reason I ask is because I want to be able to mention that when I post my game in other places. If people don't have to buy FG to play it will be helpful (though I am considering upgrading to ultimate anyhow).
Everyone with a GM licence is upgraded to Ultimate for the event, allowing any player to play for free.

The free licence doesn't allow you to GM for the con.

Daedalus
September 26th, 2015, 20:01
Everyone with a GM licence is upgraded to Ultimate for the event, allowing any player to play for free.

The free licence doesn't allow you to GM for the con.

I understood about the not being able to GM with the free one. I wanted to know because it will be easier to attract people to play in my game if they don't have to pay for the license in order to play. If a person wants to play but doesn't have the $40 to buy the software, it would cause me to lose possible interested players.

Thank you for the information

damned
September 27th, 2015, 05:14
The good people at SmiteWorks bump all Full Licenses to Ultimate capability for the weekend of FG Con - not just the FG Con GMs. Everyone gets an opportunity to invite someone new to their games that weekend :)

Daedalus
September 28th, 2015, 14:31
Well that's great to know. It will help me attract people and fill my game

bobq219
September 29th, 2015, 00:02
Okay folks, I am sitting on an original ETU session I made up using the adventure generator involving a swamp outing in the Big Thicket (Im calling it Weekend at Ernie's), a classic 12 to Midnight romp (Chickens in the Mist), or Deadlands reloaded (Devil's Night). Lemme know which if any sounds most appealing, Ill post by Thursday...I know its late but things have been a little crazy about here.

Mask_of_winter
September 29th, 2015, 00:17
Okay folks, I am sitting on an original ETU session I made up using the adventure generator involving a swamp outing in the Big Thicket (Im calling it Weekend at Ernie's), a classic 12 to Midnight romp (Chickens in the Mist), or Deadlands reloaded (Devil's Night). Lemme know which if any sounds most appealing, Ill post by Thursday...I know its late but things have been a little crazy about here.

They all sound pretty good. Some of them I'm even considering to run myself hehe

Daedalus
September 29th, 2015, 19:59

Both sound good. I am running ETU and I have been dying to actually play it

Zacchaeus
September 29th, 2015, 21:34
Probably would be a good idea for people who don't know what ETU stands for to not use the abbreviation :)

Daedalus
September 30th, 2015, 00:17
Probably would be a good idea for people who don't know what ETU stands for to not use the abbreviation :)

ETU= East Texas University. It's about a college in Texas that is located in the middle of a town with supernatural activity

damned
September 30th, 2015, 04:59
Kinda like Sunnydale High (Buffy the Vampire Slayer - TV Series not the movie!) but with more cheerleaders and footballers!

Zacchaeus
September 30th, 2015, 12:04
Ah, jolly good. :)

Daedalus
September 30th, 2015, 14:57
Ah, jolly good. :)

It's a lot of fun. I am running it and having a good time. If I could ever get a chance to play it that would be great. Almost played in a game but the GM had stuff come up and the game died

Trenloe
September 30th, 2015, 15:03
ETU is a Savage Worlds setting converted to FG by ianmward and Mask_of_Winter: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=S2P10310FG2

Ellspeth
October 1st, 2015, 12:02
Looks like an lot of really awesome games up for the FGCon again, sadly I don't see any in the limited time I have free that weekend that I can get into, though I have played in games Damned and Daedulus ran in the last tow FGDaze, and Ross's DnD5e last FGCon, I strongly encourage new folks to check out these events. In the year since I joined the forums here I have met some amazing people, had some absolutely grand times and moments where I laughed so hard I could feel the tears burning my eyes. The wealth of information freely shared has even made it possible for me to run a couple of one shots in Savage Worlds of my own design is more appreciated than I can every say. But everyone have fun at the FGCon, if something clears from my schedule I'll look for late openings. But it matters not, rest assured I'll be playing on Fantasy Grounds SOMEWHERE.

bobq219
October 2nd, 2015, 03:14
Been dying to run some of the East Texas University stuff but also have my hands on the savage tales of horror that just came out. Has anyone ran these? Was gonna do one for FG con but not sure of the run time. That said, if I do decide to start up an ETU session I'll throw the shout out in the forums.

Doswelk
October 3rd, 2015, 10:48
FG CON 7, wow!

Seems like yesterday it was FG CON 1 (which I think was the last time I ran a game! :( )

SO time to rectify that!

I am running Necropolis 2350: Last Train to Doomsday, I game I have run at UK Games Expo and Dragonmeet in the UK but not online yet (I think).

Mask_of_winter
October 3rd, 2015, 10:59
FG CON 7, wow!

Seems like yesterday it was FG CON 1 (which I think was the last time I ran a game! :( )

SO time to rectify that!

I am running Necropolis 2350: Last Train to Doomsday, I game I have run at UK Games Expo and Dragonmeet in the UK but not online yet (I think).

Good to have you back and out of your dev cave!

Daedalus
October 5th, 2015, 17:25
Been dying to run some of the East Texas University stuff but also have my hands on the savage tales of horror that just came out. Has anyone ran these? Was gonna do one for FG con but not sure of the run time. That said, if I do decide to start up an ETU session I'll throw the shout out in the forums.

I am currently running East Texas University and it is a lot of fun. If you run it and I would have a chance to play I would jump at the chance