PDA

View Full Version : Half damage and Evasion

Satan
August 3rd, 2015, 08:11
Hi,
Looking at the 5E effects it seems half damage and Evasion is part of the ruleset, if so, will it be available in 3.5E too?

Best Regards
Jacob

Nickademus
August 3rd, 2015, 18:41
Nothing from the 5e ruleset will be made for the 3.5e/PF ruleset because there is a dedicated 5e developer while no dedicated 3.5e/PF developer, and there is no contract with Paizo to produce FG Store products to justify hiring a PF developer.

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2015, 18:55
Nothing from the 5e ruleset will be made for the 3.5e/PF ruleset because there is a dedicated 5e developer while no dedicated 3.5e/PF developer, and there is no contract with Paizo to produce FG Store products to justify hiring a PF developer.
I wouldn't agree with this statement and I honestly don't know where you get this impression from. Look at the FG release notes (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html) and you'll see plenty of entries that have 3.5E/PFRPG - some specific to these two tightly linked rulesets (3.5E/PFRPG).

To the OP: I'd imagine that features implemented for the 5E ruleset will filter into the other rulesets if appropriate.

As a note to others reading this thread - PF is an actively developed ruleset - the FG developers frequently add new features and squash bugs (see the release notes linked above).

Nickademus
August 3rd, 2015, 21:33
So you expect 3.5e/PF to get drag-and-drop classes and races? Automated abilities and auto-calculated carrying capacity? New features are added to the rulesets, usually from CoreRPG up, but I doubt SW is going to redesign the 3.5e/PF ruleset to have the features that were put into 5e ruleset during its creation. And honestly I don't blame them. 5e is making money from the WotC license. 3.5e/PF is only selling licenses. The company must prioritize their time.

Who is actively developing the 3.5e/PF rulesets? I know of only three developers in Smite Works, and only one is a dedicated developer (Zeus for 5e). I would like to speak with this dedicated 3.5e/PF developer about some modifications in the next update of the rulesets.

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2015, 21:39
So you expect 3.5e/PF to get drag-and-drop classes and races?.
Probably not, but your response to the OPs question was not to do with this type of functionality. It was to do with half-damage on save/evasion, which is something I'd imagine will make it's was from the 5E code into PF/3.5E at some point.

Who is actively developing the 3.5e/PF rulesets? I know of only three developers in Smite Works, and only one is a dedicated developer (Zeus for 5e). I would like to speak with this dedicated 3.5e/PF developer about some modifications in the next update of the rulesets.
The some one who's been developing it from the start, for the last 5+ years - Moon Wizard. And if you want modifications/new features etc. please use the usual avenue of the wishlist.

These are all things that you should know, so I'm really quite surprised that you're taking this very negative/combative stance recently - has someone/something happened to do with Fantasy Grounds recently to really annoy you? Or has the original Nickademus been kidnapped by aliens? ;)

Nickademus
August 3rd, 2015, 22:10
...while no dedicated 3.5e/PF developer...

Moon Wizard is not dedicated to 3.5e/PF. I never said 3.5e/PF rulesets were not being developed. But Smite Works has to ration their time between core FG and all the rulesets they make (and the Store and website). Neither of them can take the time to rewrite the 3.5e/PF rulesets to have the major functionality that 5e was made with. I consider the auto-half-damage and Evasion a major addition since it will require editing the targeting code, effect code, and cast and damage code.

These are all things that you should know, so I'm really quite surprised that you're taking this very negative/combative stance recently - has someone/something happened to do with Fantasy Grounds recently to really annoy you? Or has the original Nickademus been kidnapped by aliens? ;)

I realize some of the things I type can be taken as negative and combative when viewed in the context of only text. I am actually neither, instead viewing things realistically while trying to glimpse a big picture. This instance is no different.

SW hired Zeus to make the 5e ruleset good (from what I've been told). Great! SW got a contract with WotC to sell products for 5e. Great! The 5e ruleset is getting a lot of attention and new features, new design aspects, and a lot of automation. Great! Realistically, I see why the 5e ruleset is getting so much work and new features. From a business standpoint I totally agree. I understand why the other rulesets are not getting as much attention (basic bug hunting and some new features that 5e also gained). From a business standpoint I totally agree. I see no new features exclusive to the 3.5e, 4e, or PF ruleset in the release notes, only bug fixes. Which seems to be to be proper delegation of time for the relative income of each ruleset.

I enjoy my time using the 5e ruleset for the 5e games I play. But when I play my 3.5e/PF games now, I constantly hear from people that have played 5e something like, "I wish we could just drag and drop our class like in 5e... I wish it would apply half damage automatically like in 5e... Wait, I have to fill this in myself; I don't have to do that for my 5e characters..." Each time I try to cushion people for the blow that adding all the awesome features that were implementing into 5e will require almost a rewrite of the ruleset code and is probably too far down on the priority list for Smite Works to ever do. The ruleset doesn't have the financial benefits 5e does right now. From a business standpoint, it would be foolish to devote resources to overhauling the other rulesets without having a volunteer dedicated developer or a major source of income such as a Paizo contract for PF.

I'm not being combative. I'm trying to put things into perceptive for people so they understand why SW is doing things this way. I hope to alleviate any jealousy 3.5e/PF players may have of 5e because the ruleset is getting things they want in their ruleset.