PDA

View Full Version : Channel Energy Question!

Djmaxx
August 3rd, 2015, 02:07
I have been reading thread after thread to see is someone has found an easer way to use the ability (Channel Energy). If anyone has found a way to use it with out having to cast two spells i would like to know. I am using PFRPG and am in need of a effect or some way to do it as a single spell.

damned
August 3rd, 2015, 02:31
the two links i sent you were/are the most up to date threads on this topic.

Nickademus
August 3rd, 2015, 02:50
Cast two spells? I use Channel Energy all the time. What is the problem?

Djmaxx
August 3rd, 2015, 02:53
Cast two spells? I use Channel Energy all the time. What is the problem?

not really a problem i was just looking to see if there is a way to streamline the process

Djmaxx
August 3rd, 2015, 03:09

the links didnt contain anything that will help me that i could see thanks for the help thoe

Nickademus
August 3rd, 2015, 04:19
Streamline what process? I've not had any problems with the Channel Energy entry.

dulux-oz
August 3rd, 2015, 04:33
Nick & Dj: why don't you each describe how you "do" your process so that you can each see what the other is (trying) to do and so understand each other better?

Just a thought :)

Cheers

Djmaxx
August 3rd, 2015, 04:57
Streamline what process? I've not had any problems with the Channel Energy entry.

IDK what is so confusing about my oreginal question. In order to use Channel Energy our cleric has to setup a damage and a heal action in the action tab. He is new to FG and to pathfinder so IF THERE IS A WAY TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR HIM TO USE THE ABILITY PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I was hoping that there was a way for me to set up a ONE click effect that would do the heal (friendly) and damage (foe) as long as everyone in the radius was targeted.

PS: Not including targeting in the ONE click action. Just the ability.

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2015, 05:09
IDK what is so confusing about my oreginal question. In order to use Channel Energy our cleric has to setup a damage and a heal action in the action tab. He is new to FG and to pathfinder so IF THERE IS A WAY TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR HIM TO USE THE ABILITY PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I was hoping that there was a way for me to set up a ONE click effect that would do the heal (friendly) and damage (foe) as long as everyone in the radius was targeted.
Dude, no need to shout.

If you think about how channel energy can be used it could heal foes as well: channel positive energy to heal, and the cleric can't exclude all foes. I can't think of a situation when channeling positive energy will heal all friends and damage all foes. If the cleric is channeling positive to damage undead, it just damages undead - it doesn't heal alive people, it's one or the other - heal alive, damage undead - not both.

If they're an evil/neutral cleric that channels negative energy then the reverse is true; *either* harm all living creatures *or* heal all undead creatures, not both.

That is why you *need* two separate effects - one for heal and one for damage, you'll use the relevant one depending on which channel (heal or harm) you're using.

Please try and be more clear in your request up front - that will avoid confusion and the need to shout (use capitals).

We're all trying to help, none of us get paid to answer your questions, please keep that in mind. Thanks.

Djmaxx
August 3rd, 2015, 05:23
Dude, no need to shout.

If you think about how channel energy can be used it could heal foes as well: channel positive energy to heal, and the cleric can't exclude all foes. I can't think of a situation when channeling positive energy will heal all friends and damage all foes. If the cleric is channeling positive to damage undead, it just damages undead - it doesn't heal alive people, it's one or the other - heal alive, damage undead - not both.

If they're an evil/neutral cleric that channels negative energy then the reverse is true; *either* harm all living creatures *or* heal all undead creatures, not both.

That is why you *need* two separate effects - one for heal and one for damage, you'll use the relevant one depending on which channel (heal or harm) you're using.

Please try and be more clear in your request up front - that will avoid confusion and the need to shout (use capitals).

We're all trying to help, none of us get paid to answer your questions, please keep that in mind. Thanks.

Ok so i understand that but channel energy is not an ability that you can pick and choose who gets hit with it. If my players use it with a foe inrange that is not undead then that is on them. On the other hand my players wont always know who has the undead trait and who dont so they need to be able to target all in range and then use the ability. That is all im looking for. also i wasnt talking about just any foe i was insinuating (Undead) as the foe.

Also i apologize for the rudeness it just eratates me when i have to repeat my self... I had asked if there was a way to make it easer to use the ability and no one answered my question. BTW a simple Yes or No would have worked... just saying.

Djmaxx
August 3rd, 2015, 05:48
Ok so to make sure i am as clear as i can be on this... I would like to make a spell that can be cast by clicking the cast button to use the the Channel Positive Energy Ability without having to do the heal and the damage separate for the cleric because the ability when used hits everything in a 30ft radius with energy whether it is a friendly or foe/undead. Is this possable or no? I understand that this is not a spell an that it is an ability.

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2015, 05:56
No, because there are so many permutations to channel energy (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/cleric.html#cleric) - as I mentioned above - you have to decide: channel to harm *or* channel to heal - so you will *always* require two different effects otherwise FG doesn't know what you're trying to do. Then, if the cleric has selective channeling (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html#selective-channeling) they can exclude some creatures from the effect, or perhaps alignment channel (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html#alignment-channel) or elemental channel (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html#elemental-channel).

Have two possible entries for channel energy - heal or harm and then handle them manually for any exceptions to the rule based off creature type, channel type and feats.

Djmaxx
August 3rd, 2015, 06:02
No, because there are so many permutations to channel energy (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/cleric.html#cleric) - as I mentioned above - you have to decide: channel to harm *or* channel to heal - so you will *always* require two different effects otherwise FG doesn't know what you're trying to do. Then, if the cleric has selective channeling (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html#selective-channeling) they can exclude some creatures from the effect, or perhaps alignment channel (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html#alignment-channel) or elemental channel (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html#elemental-channel).

Have two possible entries for channel energy - heal or harm and then handle them manually for any exceptions to the rule based off creature type, channel type and feats.

Thank you very much for answering my question.

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2015, 06:04
And for channeling to harm you'll need to set up a "cast" action in addition to the damage action as channeling to harm usually allows a will save for half damage.

Djmaxx
August 3rd, 2015, 20:02
And for channeling to harm you'll need to set up a "cast" action in addition to the damage action as channeling to harm usually allows a will save for half damage.

after setting up the channel to harm does the cast button to the left of the spell work or do you have to activate both cast and dmg sepretly?

Moon Wizard
August 3rd, 2015, 20:26
They are separate. There are no linked actions in any ruleset, due to the exception-based nature of most RPGs.

At some point, we may experiment with linking, but working in other features and Unity version right now.

Regards,
JPG

Djmaxx
August 3rd, 2015, 20:32
They are separate. There are no linked actions in any ruleset, due to the exception-based nature of most RPGs.

At some point, we may experiment with linking, but working in other features and Unity version right now.

Regards,
JPG

so they will have to be activated one at a time?

JohnD
August 3rd, 2015, 21:03
Also i apologize for the rudeness it just eratates me when i have to repeat my self... I had asked if there was a way to make it easer to use the ability and no one answered my question. BTW a simple Yes or No would have worked... just saying.
Imagine what it's like for people who are trying to help you when they can't decipher what you're actually asking for help with due to a lack of clarity from your side.

Hopefully the responses so far have been enough for you to get the answer you need (although perhaps not the answer you wanted).

Djmaxx
August 3rd, 2015, 21:25
Imagine what it's like for people who are trying to help you when they can't decipher what you're actually asking for help with due to a lack of clarity from your side.

Hopefully the responses so far have been enough for you to get the answer you need (although perhaps not the answer you wanted).

yea it wasnt quite the answer i was hoping for but i got it.

nickabbey
June 4th, 2016, 15:02

Sorry to necro this thread, but could you post or pm me these links?
I'm having issues setting up channel after doing a fair bit of research on my own and some trial and error. I've been working on it in my spare time for like 30-40 minutes at a time with no luck.
I'm a bit lost, tbh. still getting the hang of spells and effects.

damned
June 4th, 2016, 15:16
Sorry to necro this thread, but could you post or pm me these links?
I'm having issues setting up channel after doing a fair bit of research on my own and some trial and error. I've been working on it in my spare time for like 30-40 minutes at a time with no luck.
I'm a bit lost, tbh. still getting the hang of spells and effects.

I cant recall what I sent him as it was some time ago...
I think it was in a PM in response to a PM...

Use the Cleric Effects that Zacchaeus put together as your best start and also in the Effects window click the ? to go to the Wiki page on how to set up effects in general.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2016, 16:25
Remember that this thread is for 3.5E/PF, not 5E - so Zacchaeus's cleric effects aren't the same here.

@nickabbey - look at the PFS pregens here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16900-Files-Pregen-Player-Characters-%28FG-format%29&p=212777&viewfull=1#post212777 Import the cleric (Kyra) PC, which has "Channel Positive Energy" setup on the actions tab. Click the magnifying glass to the right of the ability entry to see how this is setup.

nickabbey
June 4th, 2016, 16:48
Remember that this thread is for 3.5E/PF, not 5E - so Zacchaeus's cleric effects aren't the same here.

@nickabbey - look at the PFS pregens here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16900-Files-Pregen-Player-Characters-%28FG-format%29&p=212777&viewfull=1#post212777 Import the cleric (Kyra) PC, which has "Channel Positive Energy" setup on the actions tab. Click the magnifying glass to the right of the ability entry to see how this is setup.

Perfect, this is hugely helpful. Took a second to realize that Zacchaeus's was for 5e, I got a slew of script errors.
Thanks!

nickabbey
June 4th, 2016, 16:55

Seems that file is a bad link. I get "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" but if I try to click the link and mail the administrator, it just tells me that I didn't enter the security code correctly. I guess there's a captcha... but I don't actually see an image on the page? Either way... Can't seem to download that attachment.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2016, 16:57
Seems that file is a bad link. I get "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" but if I try to click the link and mail the administrator, it just tells me that I didn't enter the security code correctly. I guess there's a captcha... but I don't actually see an image on the page? Either way... Can't seem to download that attachment.
I've just downloaded the attachments from that post and they're fine. Try right-clicking on the link and selecting "Save target as" (or similar, depending on your browser). If that doesn't work, try a different browser.

nickabbey
June 4th, 2016, 17:02
same issue with chrome, opera and safari on my mac. Also, right clicking to save as tries to save an .html file, looks like the lnk isn't direct to an xml or zip file... but to another page that does the actual downloading? Weird. I'll try from a different computer when I have some time later. for now I guess I am just going to look for other pregen clerics with the abilities I need

nickabbey
June 4th, 2016, 17:08
I ended up downloading them from the zip file in Farnaby's ost here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16900-Files-Pregen-Player-Characters-%28FG-format%29&p=212777&viewfull=1#post212777)

Trenloe
June 4th, 2016, 17:22
looks like the lnk isn't direct to an xml or zip file... but to another page that does the actual downloading?
Correct, the link takes you to another thread in these forums where there are a few downloads. Just clicking on the link should work - don't copy the link text as the forums remove some of the display text to keep the visible size down.

The link you posted above is exactly the same link I was posting - so you got to the right place! :)

damned
June 5th, 2016, 00:55
Thanks Trenloe and apologies nickabbey - I did say it was a long time ago and I couldnt remember what I posted/sent!