PDA

View Full Version : First group impressions & a couple of questions

mr_sunshine
August 3rd, 2015, 00:18
Howdy,

I tested FG with a player on Wednesday, and then the group played our first game on it on Saturday. It went really well, and there was a resounding vote that we purchase a copy for the group. However, we had a heckuva time figuring out targeting, which I just found was CTRL-click. Not sure how I missed this before, except in the user guide it says "click." One of the tutorial videos says "shift-click". That was a teeth-grinder, but it's impressive that even with that problem (which is now solved), the group was blown away by FG.

Things we loved:
1) Combat handling
2) Links & links & links
3) Languages extension
4) Help for roleplaying - RP chatting while we talk as players on Teamspeak
5) Unidentified items
6) Image handouts

I do have a few simple questions:

1) A lot of the reference material and videos have circles that indicate targeting. I'm guessing this was eliminated when targeting was included on the combat tracker, but am I just missing an option here? Color coding on the map would be kinda cool, if it still works.
2) I think this happened on the character import, but speed seems to have been set incorrectly at 20 ft for 2 chars (half-orc & human - I think based on their encumbrance at the time of export/import). When I try to edit on character pages, it looks like it is a buffed value rather than setting the actual value. Is there anything else I should do here?
3) On one map - which had a battle grid, because distances and what not worked great - players could move themselves all over. On another, however, players would move & then I would have to approve it. I couldn't figure out what the difference was. We would prefer the approval method. Could anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

I'm sorry if these are obvious - I've sunk a number of hours into FG already, finding info where I can. There seems to be some incomplete info, and also some info that has changed across versions, so it's a little confusing. I appreciate your patience and help!

Nylanfs
August 3rd, 2015, 01:54
1) Those might be from the video software highlighting where the curser is.
2) If they are wearing heavy armor their speed is lowered also.
3) You locked the tokens, right click and lock

Also Welcome to the community!

damned
August 3rd, 2015, 02:38
hola mr_sunshine i strongly suggest you check these links and master encounters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjtnAhWkaSQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7CtPsdNbA
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/File:CnC_encounter_prep.jpg

dberkompas
August 3rd, 2015, 03:08
I love these kinds of threads, I always learn something.

BoomerET

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2015, 06:07
1) The targeting was changed with the release of FG 3.0 to show white arrows rather than coloured circles. This makes it a lot easier to see all of the current targets for a particular creature, especially NPCs.

mr_sunshine
August 3rd, 2015, 12:13
Thank y'all for your responses - I had completely forgotten about token locking - that is very helpful. I've watched hours of videos and got most of the encounter setup figured out. There is a lot to learn.

Thank you Trenloe for the explanation on targeting - I thought maybe that was the case.

As for the armor, it's not heavy armor and there's no encumbrance. There was encumbrance when we exported from PCGen, so I think it may have exported movement as 20 for these characters. I'd like to change this, but when I move it to 30, the small box in the right corner of the speed box says "+10," which makes me think it thinks I'm adding a buff. I guess that's no big deal, but I was wondering if there is a way to set that base value that I'm missing.

Thank you!

Moon Wizard
August 3rd, 2015, 13:52
The speed details should be located on another part of the PC sheet. See the Combat tab on the character sheet for PFRPG/3.5E character sheets.

Cheers,
JPG

Griogre
August 3rd, 2015, 17:20
The little "bubble" number means you are overriding something calculated or entered elsewhere. To fix something like this, like Moon Wizard says, you need to go to the tab where the item is usually entered and fix it there.