PDA

View Full Version : Purchase for a Player?

boxerboss
August 2nd, 2015, 19:34
Hi All!

I have played a couple games with the demo version and had a blast. I will be primarily playing D&D 5E as a player and mostly Adventurer League stuff.

What would a player only be advised to buy?

Do i need the ultimate license or will the gm/player suffice?

What packs would be best?

Would I need the class pack if the DM already has it? Would it be good for creating characters?

I would definitely get player tokens :)

Thanks for any input!

kylania
August 2nd, 2015, 19:57
Well, if you're lucky enough to play with Ultimate license GMs you don't need to buy anything at all really. Personally, if you can afford it and since it's on sale I'd pick up the Ultimate License and the Core Class Pack.

That will let you host games if need be and also make characters with access to all the rules. I wouldn't buy any of the Class packs other then Core since they are all included, as is the customization pack. The Core Class Pack is basically the Player's Handbook.

If you're not ready to dive all the way in I'd pick up the Core Class Pack and a month of Ultimate License. That'll give you a month to decide if it's worth having the license and you'll have full access to everything.

The Full License I stayed away from since all my friends would have to buy it as well to play with me while Ultimate lets them freeload. :)

If you're thinking of running games I'd suggest the Lost Mines of Phandelver as well. It's got everything you need to run the adventure included.

Monster Manual is only really needed if you're going to make custom content, and even then you can pretty quickly add in NPCs, so I'd hold off on that for now.

If you're going to stay player for a while I'd probably just let the Ultimate DMs host servers for you and make the character while connected to them. But really, Ultimate + Core Class is the way to start I'd say. :)

Nylanfs
August 2nd, 2015, 20:11
I would buy the Full License, you don't need anything else because the majority of the purchases are on the GM's side.

boxerboss
August 2nd, 2015, 20:23
If I purchase the core class pack and subscribe for a month and then unsubscribe after awhile do i still have access to the core class pack?

Griogre
August 2nd, 2015, 20:29
Sorta. You will still own the pack and can use it if the DM doesn't have the pack (and the DM oks its use). However you won't be able to use it if you are not connected to a DM. Should you re-up your subscription or get your own license it will still be there.

kylania
August 2nd, 2015, 20:45
One thing about the subscription is that it ends the instant you click Cancel on PayPal. You won't continue to keep access for the "full month" once you cancel.

damned
August 2nd, 2015, 23:21
boxerboss if you are not planning on being the GM then I would choose a Full License. Hopefully one day down the track you will choose to GM - and you can do that too with your Full License or you can upgrade if required to Ultimate.
If your GM has the Players Handbook then you dont need anything else.

boxerboss
August 3rd, 2015, 14:39
Well for now I am playing Adventurers League stuff so my DM will probably change from week to week.

If I buy the full license and purchase some token packs, will I be able to use the tokens even if the host does not have them purchased?

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2015, 15:17
If I buy the full license and purchase some token packs, will I be able to use the tokens even if the host does not have them purchased?
Players can add their own portraits, not their own tokens which the GM controls. But, if you add a portrait to a PC, that can be used to create a token for your PC.