PDA

View Full Version : PDF Software Suggestions?

GM BK
August 1st, 2015, 21:10
Looking for an affordable PDF viewer that i can use to edit documents and extract images with. I looked at Adobe, but that's a bit more than i want to spend for PDF software... looking for something in the $40 to $60 range. Any suggestions?

kylania
August 1st, 2015, 21:19
I've seen Xorn recommend PDF XChange Editor before. It's free to try (https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor) and $44 to buy.

Nylanfs
August 1st, 2015, 22:35
I use PDF XChange at home and at work, love it.

GM BK
August 1st, 2015, 22:45
Ok, cool. I'll give it a try. Thanks everyone! :)

mghauber
August 3rd, 2015, 19:07
I use Foxit for Windows. I believe it's still free and open source. Works well enough for me.

bestellen
August 7th, 2015, 09:24
I use Soda PDF is the most complete and affordable all-in-one PDF Software. Please try it.

bestellen
August 27th, 2015, 14:37
eXPert PDF Editor is a decent alternative to Adobe’s Acrobat Pro editing tool. With this intuitive program you will be able to perform most of the PDF editing tasks included in Acrobat.

damned
August 27th, 2015, 14:51
eXPert PDF Editor is a decent alternative to Adobe’s Acrobat Pro editing tool. With this intuitive program you will be able to perform most of the PDF editing tasks included in Acrobat.

I use Soda PDF is the most complete and affordable all-in-one PDF Software. Please try it.

spambot?

Valarian
August 27th, 2015, 16:16
FoxIT PDF Reader

GM BK
August 27th, 2015, 16:22
certainly do sound like spam bots... for the record though, I've been using PDF Exchange and it seems to fit the bill perfectly :)

dberkompas
August 27th, 2015, 18:34
User has two posts and both read like advertising for pdf software, I clicked on one of the posts and reported to admins.

FoxIT works fine for pulling an image out of a PDF most of the time, but it still needs some serious polish for editing/creating.

BoomerET

Trenloe
August 27th, 2015, 18:46
User has two posts and both read like advertising for pdf software, I clicked on one of the posts and reported to admins.
That might be the case - but both posts are providing PDF options within a thread where the OP specifically asked for PDF software suggestions. They're on topic and don't even include links to the software, so I don't think this is such a big issue, is it?

ColinBuckler
August 27th, 2015, 20:45
For extracting images from a PDF I use a free utility called pdfimages.exe (https://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html)

Whilst its a command line program its very easy to use:

(1) Create a folder on my computer called "pdf"
(2) From the zip file extract the pdfimages.exe and put it in the "pdf" folder.
(3) In the "pdf" create a sub folder called "images"
(4) Finally inthe "pdf" create a "runme.bat" containing the following command: ..\pdfimages.exe -j z.pdf images

To use, copy the PDF you want to extract the images out of into the "pdf" folder. Rename the pdf file to be "z.pdf". Execute the "runme.bat".

What will happen is the images from "z.pdf" will be extracted in to the "images" folder.

with a sub folder called "images". I then create a batch file in the original folder with the following command:

..\pdfimages.exe -j z.pdf images

GM BK
August 27th, 2015, 20:48
Love the quote in your sig, fellow Rush fan :) Oh, and thanks for the tip!

ColinBuckler
August 27th, 2015, 21:07
No problem - I've used the software to extract images of tiles/maps from PDF for online map games. Its not the best - but it does work very easily/quickly.

Yeah - been a Rush fan since the 70's - finally got to see them on the Time Machine tour with my eldest son. Loved it.