PDA

View Full Version : Forum Functionality

JohnD
August 1st, 2015, 17:54
Not sure where to ask this, thought here would be the best.

In terms of forum functionality, we have the ability to place certain users on "ignore". Is there any functionality, perhaps not enabled by default, which would allow a user to essentially ignore a whole discussion topic - in effect it would not show up in the list of topics in the forum section it appears?

I've seen it done on some forums elsewhere, which is why I'm asking (well, part of the reason).

Just curious. Thanks.

Nylanfs
August 1st, 2015, 19:45
I just read everything that I want to, and then mark the whole forum as read.

VenomousFiligree
August 1st, 2015, 20:04
I just read everything that I want to, and then mark the whole forum as read.

That won't stop it coming back on your list the next time someone posts in it, which is what John wants to avoid i believe.

JohnD
August 2nd, 2015, 01:30
That won't stop it coming back on your list the next time someone posts in it, which is what John wants to avoid i believe.

Spot on.

JohnD
August 3rd, 2015, 20:59
Is there anyone around that might have some insight on this?

As an example, on another vBulletin board (no idea what version other than "vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015" at the bottom of the screen), there is a small 'x' box to the right side of the Topic column in the forum. The tooltip on this box says "Ignore this thread" and if you click it, the complete thread disappears from your view in the forum. If you go looking at new posts in general, posts in the thread will not show up.

Would something like this functionality be available here as well, and if so, would TPTB be willing to enable it?

damned
August 4th, 2015, 05:11
Are you ignoring me JohnD? Helloooo! Johnd! Are you listening? Im talking to YOU buddy.
Ahhh fergeddit!

Moon Wizard
August 4th, 2015, 07:27
I've haven't seen this functionality, but I'm not an expert with our forum software. If you can find directions on how to enable what you are looking for on our software, I should be able to look at enabling (if possible).

Just getting back from Gencon and swamped, so not much time to research stuff like this right now.

Regards,
JPG

JohnD
August 4th, 2015, 15:10
Are you ignoring me JohnD? Helloooo! Johnd! Are you listening? Im talking to YOU buddy.
Ahhh fergeddit!

No, of course not you.

damned
August 4th, 2015, 15:30
No, of course not you.

I was just being an idiot! Please DO ignore me :)

kylania
August 4th, 2015, 15:46
If you can find directions on how to enable what you are looking for on our software, I should be able to look at enabling (if possible).

It seems that Thread Ignore is not a setting that isn't turned on but instead an add-on you need to install.

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=272375

Note that is for 4.2.2 and we're using 4.2.1 here, so you're probably looking at upgrading the forum software as well.

Alternately there appears to be a Chrome extension (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/vbulletin-super-ignore) that will ignore threads based on your ignore list automagically.

dulux-oz
August 4th, 2015, 15:59
I was just being an idiot! Please DO ignore me :)

Can we? Can we really?

:p

JohnD
August 4th, 2015, 19:21
It seems that Thread Ignore is not a setting that isn't turned on but instead an add-on you need to install.

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=272375

Note that is for 4.2.2 and we're using 4.2.1 here, so you're probably looking at upgrading the forum software as well.

Alternately there appears to be a Chrome extension (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/vbulletin-super-ignore) that will ignore threads based on your ignore list automagically.
Thanks for that... have added the extension to Chrome and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Will try and complete re-boot instead of just a re-start.

Yes, a re-start did not make any difference so this extension doesn't seem to work.