PDA

View Full Version : How do you check distance between tokens with line tool and how do you approve moves?

JRedmond-pending deletion
July 31st, 2015, 16:18
I saw a recording of someone using Fantasy Grounds and I can't figure out how to do these two things.

1. The players and GM could drag a line from character to character to determine distance.
2. When players would move in combat it would require the GM to approve the movement.

Are these third party addins or can this be done by default? Thanks!

Mavrik6666
July 31st, 2015, 16:31
If you have 'lock tokens' on (right click any token, lock token- this locks movement for all players) then when a player moves their token you can see a path line and you can allow and release the movement with a right click, accept move (arrowed line) on the token and release, or you can use the mouse wheel button to release (if your mouse has one)
As a DM you can press control, and left mouse click drag, to show lines movement for NPC's
Like you say it shows distance before you move, and you can break up the move to show the path they follow by releasing the mouse button in between 'hops'

when DM accepts the move you can see the path they follow

Hope that helps

Mavrik6666
July 31st, 2015, 16:34
and answering fully ... if you click just off a token as a player you can pull up the radial menu , select pointers, and draw arrow, this give the distance between two points. Right click it again and remove pointer to get rid

July 31st, 2015, 16:36
Just tested it out works great, thank you. Last question I'll create a new post if needed. How do you get the Dice Tower to show up under 5E?

If you have 'lock tokens' on (right click any token, lock token- this locks movement for all players) then when a player moves their token you can see a path line and you can allow and release the movement with a right click, accept move (arrowed line) on the token and release, or you can use the mouse wheel button to release (if your mouse has one)
As a DM you can press control, and left mouse click drag, to show lines movement for NPC's
Like you say it shows distance before you move, and you can break up the move to show the path they follow by releasing the mouse button in between 'hops'

when DM accepts the move you can see the path they follow

Hope that helps

Nylanfs
July 31st, 2015, 16:41
That's in the options "Show Dice Tower" I believe.

kylania
July 31st, 2015, 16:41
Dice Tower is an option for the GM under the Options checkbox button, top right. Game (GM) -> Table: Dice Tower -> On.

Note that the GM won't see the tower unless Chat: Show GM Rolls is also enabled.

Trenloe
July 31st, 2015, 16:47
Note: the GM won't see the dice tower, only the players.

Line measurement will only appear if there is a grid on the map.

You can also do a quick line by holding both mouse buttons down and drawing a line. This line will disappear when you draw a new line using both mouse buttons. Very handy for doing a quick measurement or pointing out something on the map - quick and easy.

July 31st, 2015, 16:52
Thanks everyone that was it, since I don't see the player screen I was unsure. I appreciate all the other tips. This is a very helpful community, thanks for not just saying RTFM.

Mavrik6666
July 31st, 2015, 17:02
you can always load up a 2nd instance of FG, and be a player to get a 'players eye view' always worth it for checking.

Andraax
July 31st, 2015, 18:05
You can also do a quick line by holding both mouse buttons down and drawing a line. This line will disappear when you draw a new line using both mouse buttons. Very handy for doing a quick measurement or pointing out something on the map - quick and easy.

And if you hold down Alt, Shift, or Ctrl while doing this you get a circle, square, or arc.

GuardianLurker
July 31st, 2015, 21:38
Actually, this is relates to something I've been wondering for about for a while. The 'lock tokens' feature is really nice, removing a lot of ambiguity from movement.

But, how do I as a DM interrupt or decline that planned movement?

Example situation: a character with 30' of move is planning a move and dash down an empty hallway (for a total of 60 feet of movement). Unknown to him, from 35' in front of him to 45' in front of him, the entire hallway floor is a covered pit trap. He draws his character path, unknowing, and waits for me as the GM to accept it.

Break point one: before he begins his move, he makes a Perception check to spot the trap.

If he succeeds, I as the GM, want to cancel his movement.

If he fails, he advances 35', then needs to make a Dexterity saving throw.

Break point 2: Whether he fails or succeeds, he stops there. Either at the bottom of the pit (on failure), or just at the edge (on success). But he still has 25' of planned move.

kylania
July 31st, 2015, 21:46
To cancel movement just drag the player's token down a square and then move it back to where it was. That'll cancel the movement and refresh it on the clients end. Just wiggling it doesn't erase the movement path from what I've seen.

In your example I'd just move the token to reset the move if he sees the trap. If he doesn't I'd let the move play out, then move him back to where the trap was and describe it from there.

Andraax
July 31st, 2015, 22:09
You aren't wiggling it hard enough. :-)

Yeah, I would just pick up the token and drop where it ends up, which cancels the rest of the move automatically.

damned
August 1st, 2015, 00:49
Thanks everyone that was it, since I don't see the player screen I was unsure. I appreciate all the other tips. This is a very helpful community, thanks for not just saying RTFM.

We'd love to say RTFM but the doco can be hard to find and follow sometimes! Ask away.