PDA

View Full Version : Burning Plague - Sat, January 8th 2005 - 8pm EST

msd
January 3rd, 2005, 18:36
OK. Here is the information that we can tentatively start with. And please remember, if there is something you don't like or would prefer to have a different way, just mention it and we can discuss. I would rather (within reason) keep players interested than stick to a formula.

Setting: Generic fantasy. Truthfully, in this one-shot, I don't see this as being a signifiant issue. This is a one-time site-based adventure that does not really depend on context or setting.

Going forward (if there is to be a going forward), I had suggested a somewhat less documented area of the Forgotten Realms. Just as some background, my reasoning was as follows. Personally, I like the flavor of the realms and I think there is a lot of good support out there for the setting. Having said that, I want us to feel like we have the freedom to move around and make new organizations, create our own histories, invent our own BBEGs, etc. As a result, I thought a less documented area of the Realms was likely to fit the bill - we can take what we want and build the rest. Please make suggestions regarding a region that you would like to make our sandbox.

Character creation: I was thinking 32 pt. buy for abilities (as described on p. 169 of the DMG). Essentially, your character starts out with 8 pts in each of his/her 6 abilities. An increase in an ability ranging from 9 to 13 costs 1 point for each point raised (i.e. increasing your Strength from the starting value of 8 to 12 costs 4 points). An increase to 14 costs 6 points, an increase to 15 costs 8 points, an increase to 16 costs 10 points, and increase to 17 costs 13 points, and an increase to 18 costs 16 points.

I hope that didn't serve to confuse what was previously clear in your minds... :lol:

Again, if we decided to continue and we decided to choose the Realms as a setting, we could either do one of two things. We could retrofit the characters you guys create for this one-shot using the character creation rules for the Realms (not 100% familiar, but I think this potentially means choosing a region of origin, choosing a regional feat, perhaps altering your deities of choice if you are playing a cleric, etc.). In the alternative, we could simply create new characters.

Other character-related issues.

Characters to start at 1st level. Begin with max hit points and gold. Try and limit feat selection to the PHB. If there is something you can't live without that isn't in the PHB and just really makes your character concept, then by all means raise the issue.

My only real request in this area is that you do not select an evil alignment. The only reason I say this is because I *personally* have the most fun as a player when the characters really work as a team in an effort to complement each other's strengths and conceal each others weaknesses. While evil, or sometimes loner characters offer interesting role-playing opportunities, mixing them with non-evil characters never really seems to work in my humble opinion. Again, if your opinion differs on this matter, please feel free to raise the issue.

I'm sure I've forgotten something...please let me know what.

Time: Again, we had preliminarily agreed on 8pm EST. Truth be told, though, I had selected that time thinking that 8 could appeal to people across all (continental American) timezones. Seeing as how everyone who has expressed interest is in fact on the East Coast, we should feel free to discuss a change.

I am not one for marathon sessions either. Someone had suggested limiting the session to 3 hours which I think is a perfect amount. Long enough to get into it and have fun, but not so long that anyone loses interest or makes the time committment simply unbearable.

I know I have repeatedly referred to this adventure as a one-shot, but given a limit of 3 hours and the inevitable startup time associated with a new medium, I think a realistic estimate is that our adventure will last two sessions.

I do think a pre-session is a good idea. For one, it allows us to test connectivity issues and other types of medium-related things. For another, it will give you a chance to upload your characters to my machine which will give me a chance to familiarize myslef with them before we start. I hav no idea what everyone's work/social schedules are like during the week, so I will let you guys propose a pre-session time and we can move from there.

Again, if there are any other time issues, please let me know.

Players: At this point, the following people have expressed interest:

Renocide
Balmor
Balmor's wife

If other people are interested, please speak up!

Last things last: As I stated in my first post (of the previous thead), I am completely new to DMing - as in this is the first time. I really just started getting back into D&D after about a 15 year layoff (played in my teens) last year, so while I believe I have a working knowledge of the basic mechanics of 3.5, you will forgive me for the occasional misstep. I am not a huge fan of "the DM is always right". I know that flies in the face of conventional wisdom and I do like immediate resolutions to rules disputes that don't impede the pace of game play, but by all means, I would prefer someone who has DMing experience to step up and correct a mistake of mine rather than letting me to continue to repeatedly make what is obviously a mistake.

To this end, a kind and civil "Matt, you forgot such and such" will make me a better DM and will get you your +X bonus on the roll and hopefully will make us all happier as a result!

Despite this ridiculously long post, I feel certain I am forgetting something. Let me know what it is and I will respond as soon as I can.

Whew...

-Matt

Renocide
January 4th, 2005, 01:19
Everything looks great to me. If anyone needs to I could even have a earlier start time but no earlier than say 7 pm. Actually 7 might work out a little better for me as I would have a few minutes before rushing off to work after we complete. Say we play from 7 till 10 or 10:30.

Ok, now we just need to figure out a time to test the connections and upload our characters. :)

grond1969
January 5th, 2005, 19:07
Hello all,

I'm in a regular game that gets together every two or three weekends. Also the day switches between Saturday and Sundays, so I should be able to make most of the games. I'm not positive about this weekend but I'll make a character just in case. Long time player and I'm willing to run whatever the party needs/lacks.

Pete <Grond>

DarkSpartan45
January 5th, 2005, 21:01
I can try and connect in at around 8:00 EST to upload my character and test the connection if you're game for it.

Lemme know...

Thanks!

msd
January 6th, 2005, 02:12
Sorry...just got home. Otherwise, I would have been more than happy to have people try and connect.

Why don't we do this. Starting tomorrow afternoon, I will have the server up and people can connect and upload their characters. Note that when you connect, you want to select the option that allows you to connect via server alias (as opposed to by IP). The server alias is idle zone loud echo.

Also, it would probably be a good idea for those of you who intend to play to post a one line character concept just so that other players are aware of everyone's choices.

Let me know if there are any questions and feel free to e-mail me off board using the e-mail button below this post!

Thanks,
Matt

Renocide
January 7th, 2005, 04:58
I connected and it looked like my character portrait downloaded to your server and everything. If the character sheet looks unfinished its because it is. Just taking my time. :)

Ready for Saturday.

msd
January 7th, 2005, 05:11
I connected and it looked like my character portrait downloaded to your server and everything. If the character sheet looks unfinished its because it is. Just taking my time. :)

Ready for Saturday.

Cool...Kragen Wilthorn (Human Fighter) is uploaded!

Thanks,
Matt

DarkSpartan45
January 8th, 2005, 15:36
Wasn't able to work much with things on Thursday, so I haven't had a chance to upload my character yet (as I have not been able to connect to the server yesterday or today).

Character I'll be playing is Taris Valtori, a halfling rogue. Character is complete, it just needs to be uploaded.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if my wife is going to be able to make tonight's game, so my apologies there.

Lastly, what time are we starting? 7 or 8 tonight?

Thanks!

msd
January 8th, 2005, 15:58
We can tentatively start at 8...at this point, we only have 2 players which is going to be kinda tough (especically with no healers in the party).

We can either try and re-schedule or I can attempt to play a character...don't know what you prefer.

If you guys want to re-schedule, I would suggest we do next Saturday.

Let me know what you guys think.

greyyone
January 8th, 2005, 21:39
Hello
I would like to join your game. I have been a long time player and looking for an adventure. Tried to connect but not sure if you have a certain port opened for the game.

msd
January 8th, 2005, 21:57
Hello
I would like to join your game. I have been a long time player and looking for an adventure. Tried to connect but not sure if you have a certain port opened for the game.

Feel free to connect (just put the server back up). In any event, the server will be up shortly before 8pm EST and we will be ready to go.

To the best of my understanding, we have:

Human fighter
Halfling rogue

I had created a human cleric which I was going to play to add a third member

Create whatever you want and let's play!

Thanks,
Matt

greyyone
January 8th, 2005, 23:02
Great, I was able to access the server. Will go ahead and create a char. Not sure what I will run but leaning towards a druid. Watching the playoffs so creating a char between commercials. I am on pst so I believe that will be 5 my time.

msd
January 8th, 2005, 23:06
Great, I was able to access the server. Will go ahead and create a char. Not sure what I will run but leaning towards a druid. Watching the playoffs so creating a char between commercials. I am on pst so I believe that will be 5 my time.

Cool...just saw your connect in the log.

I'm in Boston, so the playoffs only start for me next week. :D Plus, watching Mike Martz coach calls to mind my personal vision of what the seventh level of hell must be like...honestly, I would rather listen to the Nazgul constantly screaming for the rest of my natural life.

Renocide
January 8th, 2005, 23:25
Ok, I have completed my character. Made a couple of changes in the stats and forgot about the 4 bonus skill points for humans so I added those too. Im not sure how to upload the changes to you but we can figure it out later.

Let me see if its as easy as connecting...

Cool everything worked...

Later

DarkSpartan45
January 9th, 2005, 00:25
Connected and character should be uploaded. See everyone in 30 minutes or so.

Looking forward to it :)

Renocide
January 9th, 2005, 03:17
https://img131.exs.cx/img131/3320/session1screenshot46yi.th.png (https://img131.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img131&image=session1screenshot46yi.png)

Playing. Having a blast. Over and out. :)

richvalle
January 9th, 2005, 05:24
Excellent!

msd
January 9th, 2005, 20:10
Just wanted to thank everyone who played in the game last night. I had a GREAT time and I think it was a very cool start to what should make for a very interesting tale.

For anyone else following this thread who is interested, we played approximately 2 hours (a little more) and you can see our chat log here (to give you an idea of what the pacing is like).

https://www.msnusers.com/FantasticAdventures/Documents/Chat%20Logs/The%20Burning%20Plague/chatlog%2Ehtml

In theory, and I will give the last say to the current players, we could take one more player. The party could arguably use a healer and we would have to work on the back story of the character together so that the entrance makes logical sense. Again, it is ok with me, but I will defer to the current players and give them the last voice on this matter.

Next session...next Thursday evening...looking forward to it!

Thanks,
Matt

greyyone
January 10th, 2005, 04:52
Hi
Great game the other night. The DM did a great job. I cannot view the log file. For some reason it errors out.

Art Wendorf
January 10th, 2005, 14:10
Yup, the page pops up and says; "HTTP 403 (Forbidden) You are not authorized to view this page."

richvalle
January 10th, 2005, 14:19
Yeah, it looks like this is posted on msn's version of the yahoo groups. If you point your browser to https://www.msnusers.com/FantasticAdventures it will prompt you to login. You'll have to have an msn passport account to do so and then you have to join the group. Then you can read the logs.

Hmmm, I should have some web space with my isp account. I could host them there if you guys wanted or Matt can find someplace else to post them.

rv

richvalle
January 10th, 2005, 14:24
I posted them for my friend to read... you can find them at:

https://www.wideopenwest.com/~rvalle/chatlog.html

rv

msd
January 10th, 2005, 17:34
I posted them for my friend to read... you can find them at:

https://www.wideopenwest.com/~rvalle/chatlog.html

rv

OK...thanks for this. Much appreciated. I thought I had set access so that everyone would be able to take a look but maybie not.

In any event, its nice to see gamers helping gamers :D

-Matt

msd
January 12th, 2005, 02:42
First off...I forget. What time did we agree to begin on Thursday? Was it 8 or 9 pm?

Next, a little map to get people back into the swing of things and to give Dundjinni another spin on my ailing machine.

When last we left our hardy band of adventurers, they had taken refuge with Brunhard and Max, the towns guards manning the northern crossing guard, the last established outpost of Duvik's Pass before the mines and the secrets they hold...

https://img97.exs.cx/img97/2434/northernguard3nz.jpg

Enjoy!

-Matt

Renocide
January 12th, 2005, 03:43
I can go at either 8 or 9.

SWEET! I love that map. Cant wait to upload it.

Did we ever find a cleric to join a band of adventurers?

DarkSpartan45
January 12th, 2005, 13:05
Map looks great! Good job, Matt.

My recollection is that we were going to start at 8:00, but either time is fine with me. Just lemme know what time we're going to start and I'll be there.

Thanks,

Balmor

kleinopl
January 13th, 2005, 14:52
Would you guys have any problem with me joining up for the second part of your adventure? I pmed Matt and he said to post here. I have read the log from the first session - so I am fairly up to speed on how things are going. I would be playing a cleric.

greyyone
January 13th, 2005, 15:34
I do not mind. I will be there at 9 est, so 6 pst. I may be a few late depending on how work goes.

kleinopl
January 13th, 2005, 15:51
In terms of equipment - what should I have? i.e. - since we are just starting out do I have any armor/weapons and if so how good should it be?

msd
January 13th, 2005, 16:16
In terms of equipment - what should I have? i.e. - since we are just starting out do I have any armor/weapons and if so how good should it be?

Here is the relevant information...this just comes from the first post in this thread, so you can always look back there for reference.

Character creation: I was thinking 32 pt. buy for abilities (as described on p. 169 of the DMG). Essentially, your character starts out with 8 pts in each of his/her 6 abilities. An increase in an ability ranging from 9 to 13 costs 1 point for each point raised (i.e. increasing your Strength from the starting value of 8 to 12 costs 4 points). An increase to 14 costs 6 points, an increase to 15 costs 8 points, an increase to 16 costs 10 points, and increase to 17 costs 13 points, and an increase to 18 costs 16 points.

I hope that didn't serve to confuse what was previously clear in your minds...

Again, if we decided to continue and we decided to choose the Realms as a setting, we could either do one of two things. We could retrofit the characters you guys create for this one-shot using the character creation rules for the Realms (not 100% familiar, but I think this potentially means choosing a region of origin, choosing a regional feat, perhaps altering your deities of choice if you are playing a cleric, etc.). In the alternative, we could simply create new characters.

Other character-related issues.

Characters to start at 1st level. Begin with max hit points and gold. Try and limit feat selection to the PHB. If there is something you can't live without that isn't in the PHB and just really makes your character concept, then by all means raise the issue.

My only real request in this area is that you do not select an evil alignment. The only reason I say this is because I *personally* have the most fun as a player when the characters really work as a team in an effort to complement each other's strengths and conceal each others weaknesses. While evil, or sometimes loner characters offer interesting role-playing opportunities, mixing them with non-evil characters never really seems to work in my humble opinion. Again, if your opinion differs on this matter, please feel free to raise the issue.

Note that the server information (how to connect, etc.) is also in that same first post, so that's probably a good read :D

You had mentioned that you had already read the chatlog so you know where the others are in the story. I will PM you with ideas on how you can meet the rest of the party in a way that makes sense. Look for that PM.

So, my understanding is that we will formally begin at 9pm EST. I will be on a little before then so if people want to connect, chat, make any changes to their characters, etc.

Thanks again,
Matt

kleinopl
January 13th, 2005, 16:25
Sounds good. I will try and connect 15-30 minutes early so if there are any issues with my character we can have some time to work that out.

Renocide
January 14th, 2005, 01:58
Hey Matt

Can't connect so far. Having any trouble on your side?

If you can contact me on MSN messenger: Renocide2 A hotmail D com.

greyyone
January 14th, 2005, 01:58
Cannot log into the game. Are the host settings still the same?

kleinopl
January 14th, 2005, 01:59
Yeah - I cant log in either.

greyyone
January 14th, 2005, 05:15
Good game tonight, though a bit short :) Anyway you wanted a bit of info. on the one I am running. Visit https://sevans.mendolink.com/dungeons.html for some information on that. Or go ahead and email me at shaneevans.mendolink.com if you have any questions. Keep checking back on website since I am updating it as I think of things.

shane

msd
January 14th, 2005, 05:16
Thanks to the people who played for another good session...after some initial problems sharing some larger-sized maps, we got down to business.

Our adventurers set out from the northern crossing guard toward the mines to investigate the disappearance of the town's miners and hopefully to try to determine if that is at all related to another recent occurrence, the arrival of a plague on the town, its inhabitants, and its food and water supply.

It was a rather short session, so the group just got to the entrance of the mine, but not before inadvertently running into a patrol of kobolds acting as sentries. They emerged from the rocky crag in the northwest in the image below.

Though overmatched by our heroes, they certainly cannot be alone...

https://img62.exs.cx/img62/7728/northernapproachpost7lu.jpg

Again, thanks guys. Having a great time!

-Matt

Durak
January 15th, 2005, 01:39
Do you accept new players in your campaign?

I normally play a dwarf fighter( pretty close to the basic fighter model )

Even made myself a portrait.

DarkSpartan45
January 15th, 2005, 16:27
If we're on for this evening, I'm available from 8 on tonight. Lemme know when we're gonna get started.

Thanks!

msd
January 15th, 2005, 17:36
If we're on for this evening, I'm available from 8 on tonight. Lemme know when we're gonna get started.

Thanks!

Yeah, I definitely understood that we are on, and I assumed that we would be starting around 9pm.

Is that ok with everyone?

I will post my IP as soon as we get closer so that everyone can connect.

Let me know,
Matt

DarkSpartan45
January 15th, 2005, 18:25
9:00 it is then. See everyone there.

greyyone
January 15th, 2005, 21:17
I should be there this evening as well. Though my plans haven't been finalized yet.

Shane

msd
January 16th, 2005, 01:05
9 pm
Connect by IP

msd
January 16th, 2005, 01:42
Do you accept new players in your campaign?

I normally play a dwarf fighter( pretty close to the basic fighter model )

Even made myself a portrait.

Sorry for responding late to this. At this point, I think we are good on players. We are already a couple of sessions in and so it would be a bit difficult to introduce new characters and still keep the integrity of the story together.

Never fear though. This was planned as a one-shot and while its taking a bit longer than I had planned, it will soon be over and we (hopefully) will be starting something new again.

So keep your eyes open and stay tuned!

Thanks,
Matt

Durak
January 16th, 2005, 01:56
Ah well.

You should kill Durak off your character folder. His character sheet had a couple of errors. Mainly Waraxe attack bonus and forgot the resist for poison and magic.

Renocide
January 16th, 2005, 05:34
Sorry about my absense this evening.

Since I work the midnight shift at work I sometimes get my days turned around and I didn't realize today was even Saturday until about 10 pm. :?

Did the session still go down? I will check the MSN group and read up on the chat log so Im not too lost for next time.

Did you guys agree on the next game night?

Man, I can't believe I missed this one.

Sorry.

msd
January 16th, 2005, 05:55
#%^%#$%&...

Just kidding :D

Only Dan showed up, so we had a bit of a rap session and then we both took off...no gaming.

So you didn't miss anything. We just have to find a time for next session!

Matt

Renocide
January 17th, 2005, 05:19
Ok, this week I have to start back at school on Wednesday and Thursday so whenever besides those days.

Tuesday? Maybe...

msd
January 17th, 2005, 05:21
Ok, this week I have to start back at school on Wednesday and Thursday so whenever besides those days.

Tuesday? Maybe...

Tuesday is tough for me b/c I have class all day Wednesday and am usually locked in the library all day.

Days that work for me best:

Thurs: 8pm -
Fri: Basically whenever
Sat: Basically whenever

Renocide
January 17th, 2005, 05:23
Ok, so Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are all out.

Friday evening is good for me until about 11 pm. Saturday is the same.

msd
January 17th, 2005, 05:31
Ok, so Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are all out.

Friday evening is good for me until about 11 pm. Saturday is the same.

OK...we'll listen to what the others say and make a decision. Fair enough?

msd
January 18th, 2005, 23:53
The whole MSN groups thing wasn't working for me...there is only a small amount of web space available which made uploading files next to impossible.

So I totally overcompensated and have spent the last two days installing vBulletin on a new domain.

Long story short, there is a forum there for our current game and I think that instead of continuing to clutter up this thread with scheduling issues that affect only us, it might be better to take the discussion over there.

Plus, I need the users... 8)

greyyone
January 19th, 2005, 04:23
Sorry I missed saturday. Some things came up that I had to attend to. I can make a game this friday or saturday also.

Shane

Durak
January 19th, 2005, 11:28
Your new forums? Cant seem to get the email to activate the account.

Used two emails, hoping its just a delayed email to me.

Renocide
January 19th, 2005, 11:51
NICE site Matt!

Registered so I should be posting there soon.

Later guys/gals.

Bagpuss2
January 19th, 2005, 13:55
Your new forums? Cant seem to get the email to activate the account.

Used two emails, hoping its just a delayed email to me.

Same here it doesn't seem to send out the activation email. I check the junk folder in hotmail as well so it just hasn't arrived.

msd
January 19th, 2005, 14:10
Sorry about that guys...still working out the kinks. I will try and go in there and manually approve you guys.

Thanks for the info.

Matt

msd
January 19th, 2005, 14:21
I manually switched everyone into the registered users groups so everyone who has previously registered should no be able to post.

Thanks again and sorry for the invconvenience...

Matt

Durak
January 19th, 2005, 15:45
Sorry Matt.

Was messing around with the emails to get one that worked, and turned off my acceptance.

I found out that your site doesnt allow Hotmail addresses. Does allow msn though, and thats run by hotmail as well.

Renocide
January 22nd, 2005, 01:31
I have tried to get on the new messageboards and can't seem to get anything to work.

I say Saturday seeing as how today is Friday. :D

8 pm?

msd
January 22nd, 2005, 02:51
Hmmm...not sure what the problem would be.

In any event, 8 pm is fine with me, but I haven't heard back from anyone else. I hope interest isn't falling off...

DarkSpartan45
January 22nd, 2005, 05:31
8:00 is fine by me as well. No worries, no interest lost here :)

msd
January 22nd, 2005, 22:56
Guys:

Remember that I don't have a static IP address...so the best thing is probably to connect through the alias (idle zone loud echo) and then I can give out the IP address (seeing as we seemed to have more success with that route...

Anyway, I will be on a little before 8pm and waiting. Hope to see everyone there.

Thanks,
Matt

greyyone
January 24th, 2005, 02:28
Hey.
Saturday would have worked for me. I checked here saturday for a time but must have missed it. I am still interested. Game was alot of fun. I even looked on your website forum. Well anytime this week is fine by me.

msd
January 29th, 2005, 16:14
Guys, I have to cancel...my bad. Something unexpected. Please read here (https://www.adventuresomedreams.com/forums/showthread.php?p=115#post115).

richvalle
January 29th, 2005, 18:02
Hey Matt... I haven't been able to get to your website either last night or today. Getting 'database' errors.

rv