PDA

View Full Version : Kickstarter - Ernest Gary Gygax Jr.'s Marmoreal Tomb Campaign Starter

JohnD
July 30th, 2015, 20:05
GP Adventures LLC is game company created by partners Ernest Gary Gygax Jr. and Benoist Poiré.

This new Kickstarter should be a sure thing for fans of the "Gygaxian" style of play. The Marmoreal Tomb Campaign Starter is Ernest G. Gygax Jr.'s opening module for fantasy tabletop RPGs in The Hobby Shop Dungeon series.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1709227718/ernest-gary-gygax-jrs-marmoreal-tomb-campaign-star

The Marmoreal Tomb Campaign Starter is a completely self-contained sandbox module introducing Ernest Gary Gygax Jr.'s setting, The Hobby Shop Dungeon, and the lands of the Duinnsmere around it, to the gaming masses. The Marmoreal Tomb can be played entirely on its own, in whole or in parts, or used at the game table in conjunction with other GP Adventures offerings. It can be used with its own default setting of The Duinnsmere, and/or in conjunction to other settings, published and home-brewed. Its design seeks to reflect both the way Ernest Gary Gygax Jr. runs the game, and to be amenable to one's own preferences and play styles.

THE HOBBY SHOP DUNGEON is an adventure game setting originally created by Ernest Gary Gygax Jr. in 1978 while working as a clerk for the fondly-remembered Dungeon Hobby Shop of Lake Geneva, WI. Inspired by the many games and campaigns he played with his father and many friends, and aided by incomplete maps initially drawn by Terry Kuntz, Ernest came up with a large sprawling dungeon complex that could be used to run games at the store. Since then, more than a thousand players have explored its depths, as remembered by Ernest, including TSR alumni, family members, customers and gamer friends, up to 22 players per sitting! It has been played in a variety of venues including Margaret Weis’s and Don Perrin’s Game Guild, in California’s Dungeons & Dragons Entertainment division, as a special event for game conventions and many more besides.

This is this entire dungeon and setting around it that GP Adventures wants to bring to publication via its Hobby Shop Dungeon game line, starting now with the Marmoreal Tomb Campaign Starter.

The ulitmate Gygax sandbox since the basic and advanced versions of the game.

JohnD
July 31st, 2015, 21:26
1. Funded in just over 24 hours.

2. The $90 level gives you 300 DPI digital map files for VTT use (DM and "clean" versions).

crb31
July 31st, 2015, 23:18
Thanks for sharing!

kylania
July 31st, 2015, 23:54
Man, I kinda wanna back this but $30 extra just for VTT maps?

leozelig
August 1st, 2015, 14:48
This looks awesome - the art is amazing! It seems to me that the $40 "Sellsword" level would get you a digital copy of the maps. I don't know what resolution that would be, or whether the untagged versions would be included.

Trenloe
August 1st, 2015, 17:19
300dpi aren't VTT maps - that is far too high a resolution for VTT (most people will use 50-100dpi). They are digital maps meant for printing out for physical games.

JohnD
August 1st, 2015, 17:43
300dpi aren't VTT maps - that is far too high a resolution for VTT (most people will use 50-100dpi). They are digital maps meant for printing out for physical games.

It appears that you are right, as usual.

JohnD
August 4th, 2015, 00:05
Q from Phill Everson: "Might there be a possibility of a stretch goal that gives the content in Fantasy Grounds format?"

A from Ernest G Gygax: "Will need to look into it with the Fantasy Grounds people. If we can make it happen we will include it in our later stretch goals. Cross your fingers my friend!"

Ferrin
August 7th, 2015, 06:03
I might, just to see my name in the credits lol..

ScooterZ
December 4th, 2016, 20:58
Q from Phill Everson: "Might there be a possibility of a stretch goal that gives the content in Fantasy Grounds format?"

A from Ernest G Gygax: "Will need to look into it with the Fantasy Grounds people. If we can make it happen we will include it in our later stretch goals. Cross your fingers my friend!"

Hey John, any more news on the FG portion of this kickstarter? plus, can you FB your email to me?

Varsuuk
December 5th, 2016, 16:15
Doh, I was like hmmm interesting, started to look and consider what I would get for what amount when realized it was long over... baaaaah!

I need to watch out for Undead threads more carefully :)

So, John, did you get it and if so, what did you think about it?

JohnD
December 5th, 2016, 16:41
Nothing delivered yet from this. As far as I'm aware, nothing has been said about a FG conversion but since they're building for I think OSRIC compatible with added on guidelines on conversion to other iterations, probably unlikely unless someone takes on the mantle for personal use.

There were some health related delays/setbacks I believe, plus I don't think I've seen a small company effort that delivered on time if it wasn't basically done before fundraising started.

I pledged at the $90 level. Hoping for good things.

Varsuuk
December 5th, 2016, 20:42
Well, hopefully gets done sooner than later!

The raising of this thread gives me an excuse to copy his image I just saw 30 mins ago retweeted by a friend on "raising a family"

vodokar
December 6th, 2016, 00:07
There is an official google + page for this if you want to follow the progress on it. https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/117157009045896272164

I've no doubt that it will take longer than expected. But, if you can't trust Ernie Gygax, then who can you trust.

JohnD
December 6th, 2016, 01:34
Apparently they're trying for mid-2017.

Varsuuk
December 6th, 2016, 04:17
DAAAMN... all those really cool WoG hex maps are making me envious.

I'd love for them to sell some VTT maps of those.

Anyone familiar with if this is available from them or others - I am not going to be able to plow though the whole thing on the groups any time soon.
I did skim some and saw them recommending to get the WoG Folio (check) and the Castle Zagyg / Yggsburg (?sp) books (ahem... isn't that long out of print from C&C??) and then BRW's Mad Archmage pdfs (could get). Umm with that MIDDLE step missing :( no luck.

IF no official maps, do we know of any really artistic mappers that have put out their own hex maps or otherwise on the Nets?

LordEntrails
December 6th, 2016, 20:16
IF no official maps, do we know of any really artistic mappers that have put out their own hex maps or otherwise on the Nets?
Check out Anna's site:
https://ghmaps.net/

JohnD
December 6th, 2016, 20:25
Yes Anna has the best maps out there if you want Greyhawk content. She compiled information from pretty well every source available for all of her locations.

Varsuuk
December 8th, 2016, 04:34
I love the big Flaeness maps (one jpeg was broken, I'll check back for it) gonna check the others.

i was envisioning the old school more colorful non realistic / arty one of the 1980 folio. But that's probably more than half nostalgia.