PDA

View Full Version : Connection Test Failed

Dungach
July 30th, 2015, 19:16
Hello,
cant host a game. connection test failed. tried everything. port is forwarded on 1802. antivirus program uninstalled, firewall down, nothing works. need help.
have a cable modem (fritzbox 6360, germany)

Nylanfs
July 30th, 2015, 20:01
Are you in an apartment or on a military base? There might be another router between you and the internet.

Dungach
July 30th, 2015, 20:41
no military. private apartment. no other router between me and the internet. eyery other game or teamspeak works

Nylanfs
July 30th, 2015, 21:09
Try can you see me the org while Fantasy Grounds is running

Trenloe
July 30th, 2015, 21:13
Try can you see me the org while Fantasy Grounds is running
Using a mobile phone? ;)

I can never get canyouseeme.org typed easily on a mobile phone...

Dungach
July 30th, 2015, 21:16
tried it. cant see me....

Trenloe
July 30th, 2015, 21:18
Try:

Fully load up a FG campaign.
Open a web browser and go to canyouseeme.org, put 1802 in the "port to check" section and press "Check port".
If this doesn't work. Do you have another computer you could try connecting on your local network? Join game with the internal IP address and see if that works. This will check for security software blocking your connection.
If you don't have another computer, start a second instance of Fantasy Grounds on the same computer and Join Game with a host address of localhost

Dungach
July 30th, 2015, 21:25
local host is working. i can connect.

Trenloe
July 30th, 2015, 21:35
Referring to this page: https://en.avm.de/nc/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7360/knowledge-base/publication/show/893_Configuring-static-port-forwarding/

In step #2 - 7: Select the protocol as TCP.
Step #2 - 8: set "From port" and "to Port" to 1802.
Step #2 - 9: Select your computer running Fantasy Grounds.

Then try canyouseeme.org again (with FG fully running hosting a campaign). If this still fails, reboot your router to take the changes you have made and try again.

Dungach
July 30th, 2015, 21:45
doesnt work. still cannot see me

donpaulo
August 2nd, 2015, 04:12
Yup, I am having the same problem.

Thanks so much for the advice Trenloe

damned
August 2nd, 2015, 06:18
Dungachs issue is that in Germany a number of providers use something called DSLite which is ineffect another layer of ISP side port forwarding as they have run out of IPv4 addresses. There is no way for Dungach to make this work without a VPN like Hamachi (or many others). We setup and tested Hamachi and that works fine.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi

donpaulo send me a PM if you are still having issues.

donpaulo
August 2nd, 2015, 11:46
My issue was caused by the use of an alias rather than DNS connection.

Once the direct numeric data was input into FG, the connection was smooth and steady.

Thanks so much to damned who solved the problem.

FYI he mentioned that this was NOT the first time an alias caused connectivity problems for a Japan based computer.

donpaulo send me a PM if you are still having issues.

CryAxe
September 4th, 2015, 21:00
I have the connection test failed message. Tried this: "Open a web browser and go to canyouseeme.org, put 1802 in the "port to check" section and press "Check port"". No luck. Joining as Localhost works. I made FG use port 1802, but I still get a Failed Connection and it is not seen in canyouseeme.org

Trenloe
September 4th, 2015, 21:07
I have the connection test failed message. Tried this: "Open a web browser and go to canyouseeme.org, put 1802 in the "port to check" section and press "Check port"". No luck. Joining as Localhost works. I made FG use port 1802, but I still get a Failed Connection and it is not seen in canyouseeme.org
When you use canyouseeme.org do you have a campaign fully loaded and running in FG?

How do you have your port forwarding set on your router? Are you relying on this being done automatically (using UPnP) or have you manually set port forwarding?

CryAxe
September 4th, 2015, 21:37
Yes, I have used canyouseeme.org with a campaign running and it doesn't see the port. I had the port changed manually, but the tool I'm using to check the port can't get through either. I've tried turning off my PC's firewall, but that didn't help.

Trenloe
September 4th, 2015, 21:48
Yes, I have used canyouseeme.org with a campaign running and it doesn't see the port. I had the port changed manually, but the tool I'm using to check the port can't get through either. I've tried turning off my PC's firewall, but that didn't help.
Has this ever worked before or is this the first time you're trying?

I'm not sure what you mean by "I had the port changed manually, but the tool I'm using to check the port can't get through either." Which tool do you refer to? What do you mean by "can't get through"?

CryAxe
September 4th, 2015, 21:50
I used Port Forwarding. I'm double checking to see if everything was done correctly.
This is the first time I've tried.

Trenloe
September 4th, 2015, 21:53
I used Port Forwarding. I'm double checking to see if everything was done correctly.
This is the first time I've tried.
Assuming you have access to your router. The first thing you should try is UPnP. If you have UPnP on your router, enable that - then delete any previous port forwarding you may have setup. Reboot your router just to be sure that UPnP is up and running. UPnP allows FG to automatically set the port forwarding without you having to do anything - so try UPnP first.

Also, if you have multiple network connections on your GM computer (WiFi as well as wired, VPN, a virtual PC, etc.) make sure all of them are disabled except your main connection - this will allow FG to setup the UPnP properly.

CryAxe
September 4th, 2015, 23:30
I turned UPnP on, rebooted the router and PC, but still can't get a connection.

Trenloe
September 4th, 2015, 23:34
I turned UPnP on, rebooted the router and PC, but still can't get a connection.
Things to try (assuming you are running windows):

Double check you only have one network interface enabled on your computer.
When you launch FG, go to the Load campaign screen and check that the "Internal" address information in the top right is reporting your current IP address on your network.
Check if your Network Connection on your PC is set to Home or Work, if it is set to Public, change it to Home.

CryAxe
September 5th, 2015, 00:33
I'm on Windows 10 and the network is set to Private. I only see one interface enabled. The "Internal" address information in the top right of FG is showing my PC internal IP address. Should that be the router IP address? It doesn't allow me change it.

Trenloe
September 5th, 2015, 01:09
The "Internal" address information in the top right of FG is showing my PC internal IP address. Should that be the router IP address? It doesn't allow me change it.
That is displaying the correct IP address - it is what FG will use for the UPnP port forwarding.

Moon Wizard
September 5th, 2015, 01:39
You can check local machine network blocking by running a second instance of FG and connecting to the first instance using "localhost" as the server name/IP. If this does not connect, it's almost always a firewall/security software block.

Also, sometimes people will use their own router in addition to the ISP provided modem/router. If this is the case, you can plug your computer directly into ISP router or set up port forwarding on ISP router for port 1802 from Internet to your personal router and then set up port forwarding on your personal router for port 1802 from ISP router to your desktop machine.

If neither of those applies, either Doug or I will have to try to set up time with you to look into. The user damned on the forums will often jump in if he's available.

Regards,
JPG

ddavison
September 5th, 2015, 16:35
Do you have a separate wi-fi router and a router/modem supplied by your ISP? If so, then you need to port forward 1802 from A -> B's IP and then from B -> C's IP, where A is the ISP provided router, B is the wi-fi router and C is the computer hosting FG.

What country are you based in and which ISP do you use?

damned
September 6th, 2015, 01:43
Hey CryAxe I sent you a PM yesterday. If you want some one on one help let me know.

CryAxe
September 7th, 2015, 01:05
Hi and thank you for the offers. I PMed you back, damned.

CryAxe
September 7th, 2015, 03:35
Got it worked out, thanks to damned. Thank you, everyone, for all of the prompt assistance that you all have provided.
It was both a router and firewall issue. Both had to be tweaked a bit, but now everything seems to be working.

Thanks again, damned and company.

damned
September 7th, 2015, 12:57
The local McAfee software was not accepting connections from the Internet. It was allowing connections from the local network only.
Also added port forwarding on router and set a DHCP reservation for CryAxe's PC.