PDA

View Full Version : Tracking the Arcane Ward

epithet
July 30th, 2015, 03:41
So... the Sage Advice (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_july2015) column last week turned my idea of the Arcane Ward upside down.

Is an abjurer’s Arcane Ward healed only when the ward has 0 hit points? The ward regains hit points whenever the abjurer casts an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, not just when the ward has 0 hit points.

Does casting alarm as a ritual heal Arcane Ward? Any abjuration spell of 1st level or higher cast by an abjurer can restore hit points to his or her Arcane Ward. As is normal for healing, the ward can’t regain more hit points than its hit point maximum: twice the wizard’s level + the wizard’s Intelligence modifier.

How does Arcane Ward interact with temporary hit points and damage resistance that an abjurer might have? An Arcane Ward is not an extension of the wizard who creates it. It is a magical effect with its own hit points. Any temporary hit points, immunities, or resistances that the wizard has don’t apply to the ward. The ward takes damage first. Any leftover damage is taken by the wizard and goes through the following game elements in order: (1) any relevant damage immunity, (2) any relevant damage resistance, (3) any temporary hit points, and (4) real hit points.

Before, I was tracking the Ward as temporary hit points. It seems to me now that it can't be tracked that way, even if you don't have actual temp HP to compete for the field. The Ward doesn't get the Wizard's resistances or immunities, so it seems that really the best way to keep track of it is to create an NPC with the Ward's hit points and the Wizard's saving throws. Target the Ward instead of the Wizard, then apply any spill-over damage to the Wizard (which will now show up in the chat window, since the last update.) Whenever the Wizard casts an Abjuration spell, he can click an effect to heal the Ward for the appropriate amount.

What a pain in the ***.

Is anyone doing this in a better, easier way?

Griogre
July 30th, 2015, 11:32
It's still probably easier to just use temp hp. The DM can bypass everything by just directly dragging a number from chat into the Wnd field for the character on the tracker. You can put anything you want into chat by first entering it into the mod box and then dragging the mod into the chat window and from the chat window onto the wounds field on the combat tracker. Its *much* shorting to do than me typing it. :p

Zetesofos
August 2nd, 2015, 15:35
It's still probably easier to just use temp hp. The DM can bypass everything by just directly dragging a number from chat into the Wnd field for the character on the tracker. You can put anything you want into chat by first entering it into the mod box and then dragging the mod into the chat window and from the chat window onto the wounds field on the combat tracker. Its *much* shorting to do than me typing it. :p

Personally, what I've been doing is just creating a friendly NPC field in the combat tracker, and set the maximum HP to the Arcane Wards value - whenever the wizard uses it, I redirect the damage from the intended target to that NPC. This allows me to keep that damage reduction separate from temp HP and regular. Only one game so far, but doesn't seem too intensive. If you do that, also it helps to set the 'Ward's Initiative to match the player so you don't forget about it.

Griogre
August 2nd, 2015, 19:46
That's a good suggestion Zetesofos. Especially if the character is likely to have temp hps.

epithet
August 2nd, 2015, 21:49
Yeah, as I said - creating an NPC is really the only way I see to do thing properly. Still, it is a pain in the rear.

One thing that makes it easier is if your Abjurer has an ability created with a heal effect for each spell level. That way the PC can refresh his own ward.

Morik
May 31st, 2018, 19:19
I was looking to create an Effect to add to my character sheet for the Arcane Ward. Is their a command to grant temporary hit points? I know it doesn't actually use temp hp, but unless there's a command to spawn a temp creature, temp hp seems to be the way to go.

Zacchaeus
May 31st, 2018, 20:01
You can create a Heal effect with temp hit points. Details here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Heal_Dialog).

Morik
May 31st, 2018, 20:44
Perfect! Thank you so much. I'm just editing the ward by hand everytime the wizard is attacked for now. Once she starts gaining resistances, immunities, and/or personal temp hp, I will probably have to start using the 'additional friendly npc' method.

When the ward is knocked to 0 hp, excess damage from that attack hits the wizard right? So I'll have to reapply the damage to her, minus the ward's hp, right?

LordEntrails
May 31st, 2018, 21:45
When the ward is knocked to 0 hp, excess damage from that attack hits the wizard right? So I'll have to reapply the damage to her, minus the ward's hp, right?
Nope, any excess damage over the Temp HP will carry through to regular HP wounds.

Morik
May 31st, 2018, 21:56
I meant if I was using the 'friendly npc' approach. sorry.

LordEntrails
May 31st, 2018, 22:10
I meant if I was using the 'friendly npc' approach. sorry.
oh, yep.